Thanksgiving Vegetable

hm212

I have been asked to bring a couple of vege's to Thanksgiving this year.

I am going to roast a couple of heads of cauliflower and then was asked to bring string beans for 10 - 15. I could just steam them and bring them, but I am looking for something a little more creative.

Any ideas?

I could just steam them and bring them, but I am looking for something a little more creative.

Any ideas?

This is always a winner: Green Beans with Roasted Onions. It's one of my most requested recipes. I should note that I do make a few modifications to the basic recipe: I use balsamic vinegar in place of the red wine vinegar. I melt the butter and toss it with the onions before roasting them and roast at no more than 375 degrees, otherwise, the onions are likely to burn. I also make sure to toss the onions and sauce thoroughly with the green beans so that all beans are covered.

We do a variation on the roasted green beans that is easy and fantastic. Roast a whole bunch of green beans (more than you think you need because they shrink some with roasting) a few red onions and garlic cloves. Lightly toss everything with evoo and roast away. When they are done drizzle with balsamic vinegar. They are great at room temp. so you can make them ahead of time.

What about kale chips?

Who did those green beans in mustard vinaigrette at the picnic? (With apologies if that wasn't exactly what it was.) Those were fantastic.

Thanks!! And it was, with slivered almonds and ... goat cheese, I think I did this time (wow, even I can't remember!). Much like hillvalley just posted, super-duper easy. You can blanch or roast, toss with a mustard vinaigrette and throw in nuts, cheese, etc, then serve at room temp. It doesn't get a whole lot easier, particularly if you find skinny green beans/haricots verts that need minimal trimming. :)

I also love kale chips. Nice thought, hv.

I was going to start this by saying it's too early, but you know what--it's really not too early! Thanksgiving is soon!

I've hosted 6-7 times so far, but they have always been overseas or "pre-Thankgiving" for friends who would not be in town on the holiday. But this year I am ecstatic to be hosting Thanksgiving on the actual day at my home! (And I LOVE Thanksgiving--it's my favorite holiday by far.)

I have two dinner ... challenges.

1) What green veg do I serve? Personally, I really have to have a green veg, even if no one eats it (and they rarely do). I like brussels sprouts, but I don't have a solid recipe. Well, I've got good everyday recipes, but because serving time is so malleable on Thanksgiving, they always end up mushy, waiting for everything else to be served--nothing that would turn a sprout-hater to my side! Another challenge: some guests this year don't eat pork or beef, and nearly every recipe I see has prosciutto or some such. Do I just go basic with steamed green beans? (Not preferred!)

2) I serve a traditional meal, which includes the regular fixins, including my mom's mashed sweet potatoes with walnuts (along with turkey, my grandfather's stuffing [perfected in 1952-56!], mashed potatoes, and cranberry sauce). But a guest is going to bring his family's sweet potato pie for dessert, so serving sweets with dinner would be redundant. I'm fairly obsessive about Thanksgiving dinner, so the thought of going without sweet potatoes is sad to me--but I want to be adaptable! I want to welcome my friends' traditions into my home! But I still selfishly need to find a way to get that flavor into the meal. Do you think roasted carrots might fill the void? Please help me figure this out!

Thank you!

1) Isn't there a thread here somewhere on Brussels sprouts? Roast them halved or sauté them, but former best for large quantities. Diced red onion, caramelized; fresh, roasted chestnuts, chopped; reduction of pear cider to glaze. (Chestnuts make good sub for bacon.) I also like Union Square Café's hashed B sprouts, but it's a lot of work for more than a few guests. I plan on making a gratin of greens, instead, this year, but people loves Brussels cooked w fat vs. water.

2) You can never have too many sweet potatoes.

1) Isn't there a thread here somewhere on Brussels sprouts? Roast them halved or sauté them, but former best for large quantities. Diced red onion, caramelized; fresh, roasted chestnuts, chopped; reduction of pear cider to glaze. (Chestnuts make good sub for bacon.) I also like Union Square Café's hashed B sprouts, but it's a lot of work for more than a few guests. I plan on making a gratin of greens, instead, this year, but people loves Brussels cooked w fat vs. water.

1) Oven space is going to be dear (turkey, stuffing, pies), so roasting will be tough. I've never done fresh chestnuts, and don't mind work--but can they be prepped beforehand? How long before?

2) Agree!! I love me some sweets! Just trying to be flexible (which is not at all like me)....

1) Oven space is going to be dear (turkey, stuffing, pies), so roasting will be tough. I've never done fresh chestnuts, and don't mind work--but can they be prepped beforehand? How long before?

b. As a guest of omnivores last year, in the morning I put together a very large dish full of roasted Brussels sprouts that I tossed into a pan w caramelized red onion, a little garlic, perhaps, [diced and cooked separately, first] pancetta and ultimately, some cider. Brought it out to the countryside where it got reheated while the turkey rested. Just fine and received enthusiastically since what's old hat to us is novel to many.

a. Don't need to bother w the chestnuts, really. They're a pain unless they are that rare, super fresh commodity like the ones I got from a local orchard a couple of weeks ago which peeled pretty quickly. You can find all sorts of chestnuts, though, that don't require shelling and I'd have to leave it to someone else here who could steer you in the direction of a reliable brand/source.

I had the same issue a few years ago. Now I wilt chard on the stove top with garlic and some olive oil. then splash some champagne vinegar after I take it off the heat. big hit.

Similar. Forgive source, but I had this once on a farm where the chard was just picked and it was one of the only times I really loved the (yellow vs. red-stemmed) chard: Ume Greens. You could omit dill if you think it wouldn't go w other flavors on the plate but the lightness of the dish is a refreshing break from everything else and having bought the plum vinegar just to recreate the dish, I find the macrobiotic staple delicious in salads, etc.

I agree -- you can never have too many sweet potatoes. I am making a sweet potato casserole, a sweet potato pie, and, possibly, a sweet potato-lentil stew. Thanksgiving comes but once a year.