Great Chinese for Christmas Day

galester

Taiwanese - Bob's Noodle

Cantonese - Miu Kee, XO Taste, Vinh Kee

Hotpot - Uncle Liu's

Sichuan - Hong Kong Palace, Sichuan Pavilion

Taiwanese/Sichuan/noodles - Michael's Noodles

You need to be a bit more specific as to cuisine. All of these restaurants have some great dishes. And you should call to see if they're actually open.

Taiwanese - Bob's Noodle

Hotpot - Uncle Liu's

You need to be a bit more specific as to cuisine. All of these restaurants have some great dishes. And you should call to see if they're actually open.

What id I just want King Pao Chicken and Moo Shu pork? :)

Hey, since there's about a 1-in-4 chance that we'll be dining out -- and it being Christmas and all -- any of the spots above offer a more-or-less gracious setting? Or are they all authentically spare?

What id I just want King Pao Chicken and Moo Shu pork? :)

Hey, since there's about a 1-in-4 chance that we'll be dining out -- and it being Christmas and all -- any of the spots above offer a more-or-less gracious setting? Or are they all authentically spare?

Sichuan Pavilion and Michael's Noodles have slightly better atmosphere than the others. I haven't been to Seven Seas in a long time and I've never had anything other than dim sum at New Fortune but those restaurants have more traditional Chinese decor. Again, I haven't been in awhile but Mama Wok locations are fine, as is Jasmine Garden but they're not especially good restaurants. I should add that New Big Wong was pretty good for Cantonese in Chinatown but it's in a basement.

Okay, so you're not going to pay a premium for the extensive decor, but it's hard to beat Hong Kong Palace. It was a tradition with Stephen Banker, Grover and me to go there for an authentic Jewish Christmas. We never made it to the movies, but we always enjoyed a long leisurely lunch and Melanie was always a gracious hostess.

Hey, Asian Kitchen so far for me hasn't been bad for "Americanized Chinese".

Loved the kung pao there. As for moo shu - that's a fantastic idea, and I will be going there soon to try it. :)

My go-to for American Chinese is House of Dynasty in Alexandria. I just love the classic waiters-in-vest and all. (Also, after watching an ep of "Ellery Queen" last night where someone ordered wor shu op, I had to wonder is that served *anywhere* anymore?)

As for Xmas Chinese, Hollywood East will be open, and it is a Saturday, so perhaps you could do a Dim Sum Christmas? (ETA: Yep, they just confirmed via Twitter that the carts will be rolling.)

Taiwanese - Bob's Noodle

Hotpot - Uncle Liu's

Great list. I would just add the following, only for duck. :)

Chinese Duck - Peking Gourmet Inn

Great list. I would just add the following, only for duck. :)

Chinese Duck - Peking Gourmet Inn

I guess I'd agree and disagree. We've found almost all of their food is great, but especially the duck. One thing however, is that I'd make reservations. One year we went Christmas Eve with a group and at 8pm the place was truly mobbed. It's almost always busy - a table for two is sometime doable, but with a big group and no reservation you may wait forever.

We are doing Dim Sum at Good Fortune in Wheaton on Christmas day. We really enjoy it there.

I read the not so favorable reviews in the restaurant guide but the last one was quite a few years ago. I think they must have improved a lot in recent years.

Their chive dumplings are excellent. I also recommend their steamed chicken buns....they have the perfect amount of fresh ginger in them. The fried fungor (spelling) is amazing as well (they look like deep fried empanadas).

We are doing Dim Sum at Good Fortune in Wheaton on Christmas day. We really enjoy it there.

I read the not so favorable reviews in the restaurant guide but the last one was quite a few years ago. I think they must have improved a lot in recent years.

Also, we have a thread discussing Dim Sum (and a Dim Sum Guide, and an on-again/off-again casual outings for Some Dim Sundays thread) so there may be more updated reviews of Good Fortune in the other places. :) Enjoy your Christmas Dim Sum!

I think the negative reviews from Good Fortune are probably at least partially mine. I had a couple of terrible dim sum meals at Good Fortune, so crossed it off my list. Since Hollywood East was better anyway (and it was right across the street, though now they're a few blocks away), I hadn't even given it another thought.

Had a great lunch today at Hong Kong Palace with a close friend of Stephen B. We had Dan Dan Noodles, Sliced Pork in Garlic Sauce, Golden Fried Chicken in grilled peppers and Cumin Fish. The spicing was just perfect and the cumin fish (flounder) reminded me of Peter Chang's efforts (minus the presentation). A great way to celebrate Christmas (albeit a bit abnormal for goyim :) )

We landed up at China Jade in Derwood - the restaurant that the Hong Kong Palace folks bought a couple of years ago. We had a table for 9 (10 if you count my teen son twice, since he eats for two), and had a groaning table full of Cantonese and Sichuan dishes.