Skanky Restrooms in Restaurants

DrXmus

Cold Water in the Bathrooms

Tom, I eat out a lot and I am running into a problem. It seems about half the restaurants I go to don't have hot water in their bathrooms. And it's all types of restaurants too, fast food to high end. Is this sanitary? The employees use those same bathrooms and wash their hands in them. We won't even go into missing soap dispensers and other issues.

What's the likelihood that these restaurants *really* don't have hot water in the bathroom? Aren't restaurants shut down for not having hot water? I admit that I wash my hands in cold water often in restaurant bathrooms, but I assume it's not hot because I'm not running a gallon of hot water to warm the pipes like I have to do at home. I do hate the fancy motion-sensor faucets because of this reason. The water's always freezing because hot water never actually makes it to the faucet. I just try really, really hard not to pee on myself.

It's really hard to read Tom's chat.. Roughly 70% fo the questions can be translated to "Hi, I have no research skills and wouldn't know where to begin looking for the names, styles, and calibres of restaurants I'd like to eat at. Tom you're like a glorified concierge right? I'd like a nice romantic restaurant that doesn't break the bank, can you help me out?"

As my only real point of comparison, Craig LaBan of the Philly Inq explicitly says "Do not ask me concierge like questions" in the intro to his online chat..

Craig LaBan of the Philly Inq explicitly says "Do not ask me concierge like questions" in the intro to his online chat..

I think with that and a "self-centered jackass" filter Tom would get less than a dozen submissions a week

I have some sympathy for those folks writing in. I think the problem is too many choices when they do research online for a restaurant coupled with getting a "someone to blame" if the restaurant does not suit their tastes/budget or "aren't I smart that I got the Post critic to recommend a resto especially for me."

What these people need is a web site to go to or a person to call who knows the restaurants around here, who understands the dining scene and the region, who can offer restaurants to visit based on location/price/cuisine/chef/etc. Maybe this person could run a well-respected web forum, perhaps even call it something eponymous. O, where could someone go for something like that!? :)

Tom, I eat out a lot and I am running into a problem. It seems about half the restaurants I go to don't have hot water in their bathrooms. And it's all types of restaurants too, fast food to high end. Is this sanitary? The employees use those same bathrooms and wash their hands in them. We won't even go into missing soap dispensers and other issues.

What's the likelihood that these restaurants *really* don't have hot water in the bathroom? Aren't restaurants shut down for not having hot water? I admit that I wash my hands in cold water often in restaurant bathrooms, but I assume it's not hot because I'm not running a gallon of hot water to warm the pipes like I have to do at home. I do hate the fancy motion-sensor faucets because of this reason. The water's always freezing because hot water never actually makes it to the faucet. I just try really, really hard not to pee on myself.

I shower in the morning using hot water and soap. I then put my penis into a series of protective layers of clean, abiotic cotton or synthetic fabrics. It is one of the cleanest parts of my body, especially relative to my hands.

Why anyone would want to wash his hands after touching only his penis is beyond me.

I like the insinuation that they're not getting properly clean without hot water.

If'n it ain't boiling hot, from what I's been learned, then the temperature don't matter none too much done no how. (Sentence intentionally written to annoy grammar nerds.)

As for Mr. Cole's wonderment, repeated visits to the unfortunately-all black urinals at Eventide show a little too clearly how much spray, unnoticeable perhaps in lighter surroundings, goes everywhere. It always made me who picked out black urinals...eep.

(Much like I wonder who picked out the sinks in our conference center at work. They're so shallow that it is extremely difficult to wash your hands in them.)

I work in a large, public institution that tends to attract all manner of "patrons," some of whom even have worse personal habits than the employees. Their presence inspires me to wash my hands with warm soap and water several times a day, using the towel to turn off the faucet and open the door. Believe me, my hands are as squeaky-clean as Anita Bryant's taint.

I bet you'd want to wash your hands after touching someone else's penis, though.

Oh my god. I think I hurt myself laughing. :)

Restaurants are shut down for not having hot water. How do so many places get away with this? (agreed on turning off the tap & covering the door handle)

... using the towel to turn off the faucet and open the door.

That's the proper method. I realize it's better for the environment and all, but I hate it when bathrooms only have the electric hand dryers instead of paper towels. Then I feel the process has been negated, as Don pointed out.

That's the proper method. I realize it's better for the environment and all, but I hate it when bathrooms only have the electric hand dryers instead of paper towels. Then I feel the process has been negated, as Don pointed out.

Depending on the grunge factor, I'm not above using my shirt to open the door. :)