Irish Nachos

Do you mind me asking what in the name of hell an "Irish Nacho" is?

In my experience (albeit limited) they are traditional nachos with the tortilla chips being swapped out in favor of waffle cut french fries.

Where the "Irish" came from is anyones guess.... B)

In my experience (albeit limited) they are traditional nachos with the tortilla chips being swapped out in favor of waffle cut french fries.

Where the "Irish" came from is anyones guess.... B)

The potatoes are the "Irish" part. I recently saw a recipe online that I saved, but it called for sliced potatoes rather than fries: http://whatsgabycooking.com/irish-nachos/

I would think Irish Nachos would be potato of some sort and Cashel Blue Cheese and maybe some lamb and gravy of some sort, at least that sounds like a good version of Irish nachos to me.

That was the problem with the linked recipe:

bag waffle fries - to make Irish use boiled potatoes

EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil - this should be mutton drippings

deli-sliced corned beef, chopped - shutter

1 small onion, thinly sliced - whatever

1/green cabbage, thinly sliced - corned beef and cabbage, the spaghetti and meatballs of Irish food

Salt and ground black pepper

butter - mutton drippings

light beer - really?

chicken stock - mutton stock

shredded white cheddar cheese - an English cheese? Why not just call these Black and Tan nachos!

What relationship does this hot mess have to nachos? Other than both being stuff piled on top of a crispy starch--or formerly crisp. Cheese and gravy (and corned beef) on top of fried potatoes is more accurately "Irish poutine." The appeal of nachos is that the dish is spicy and has a variety of textures and savory flavors--and some vegetables in the guise of salsa.

What relationship does this hot mess have to nachos? Other than both being stuff piled on top of a crispy starch--or formerly crisp. Cheese and gravy (and corned beef) on top of fried potatoes is more accurately "Irish poutine." The appeal of nachos is that the dish is spicy and has a variety of textures and savory flavors--and some vegetables in the guise of salsa.

Killjoy

Not saying there's anything wrong with poutine...hey, I didn't call it Irish poontang! B)

There IS SO something wrong with poutine! There are SO MANY things wrong with poutine! There . . . . just . . . . ARE . . . . ARE . . . . ARGH!

There IS SO something wrong with poutine! There are SO MANY things wrong with poutine! There . . . . just . . . . ARE . . . . ARE . . . . ARGH!

Inexplicable how otherwise-discerning people become like children at McDonald's when the subject turns to poutine (or mutilations of bacon, for that matter). Although this slice of street culture has been around long enough to avoid being called "trite," the non-critical gushing over it runs parallel to a board-stiff accountant loosening his tie at an opera. When it comes to the food chain, poutine is about one rung up from lutefisk, in my opinion. The equivalent of a 3:30 AM microwaved burrito at 7-11 (and yes I've also had the foie gras poutine at Au Pied de Cochon and it reminded me of a deep-fried Twinkie).

Used to back when I was an uncivilized redneck - you know, the kind that sits around with a Bud Light and Doritos watching Nascar.

B)

More like Blue Moon and potato chips with Hidden Valley Ranch dip, and we watch F1 here at casa porcupine (never NASCAR), but otherwise you're right. Guess what I ate for dinner tonight? Redneck fondue from Urban BBQ. :D Come to think of it, we ate there because we were retrieving my pickup truck from a detailer who was getting dried concrete off of it (honestly). Guess you figgered me out, Rocks. I'm a redneck.