Harry's Smokehouse Burgers & BBQ (Formerly Harry's Tap Room), Fashion Center at Pentagon City - Closed

When I was at Pentagon City mall a few days ago, I noticed the Ruby Tuesday has closed. The sign on the paneling over the empty space says that a Harry's Tap Room will be opening there. I can't recall if it gave an ETA other than "soon" on the sign.

When I was at Pentagon City mall a few days ago, I noticed the Ruby Tuesday has closed. The sign on the paneling over the empty space says that a Harry's Tap Room will be opening there. I can't recall if it gave an ETA other than "soon" on the sign.

Interesting. Sounds like the follow up from Harry's Essential Grille (thread mentioned Pentagon City here).

Had lunch at the Harry's at Pentagon City today, which is in the space formerly occupied by Ruby Tuesday. The doors coming up from the metro area no longer seem to close, so it was rather chilly at the bar, where I ate. They had a few small heaters out on the bar, which helped a little, but their design (which is quite sleek and lovely) doesn't work too well mid-winter with the mall management's door plan.

I got the lunch deal of 2 dishes from the special lunch break menu for $10, plus Hook and Ladder Lighter on draught ($6). I didn't count how many food options were on there. Maybe a dozen? The ham and swiss half sandwich and shrimp salad were both quite good and more than worth the price. The sandwich, which seemed to have been done in a panini press, was a little greasy, but in a good grilled ham and cheese way. I'm not sure if the shrimp salad came from the salad or the sandwich subportion of the specials menu. There were quite a few shrimp (more than I expected) in a light mayo-based dressing, mixed with a confetti of finely minced multi-colored peppers and red onion, on half of an English muffin, with lettuce and tomato. The whole thing was topped with some bean sprouts. I did everything but lick the plate clean :P.

The bartender said that they've been open 4 1/2 months and that business has been good. Chilliness aside, this is a huge improvement over Ruby Tuesday. Not even really in the same league.

I had a similar experience with a FRIGID bar a few weeks ago. I'm not normally one to consider myself a wimp with the cold, but this was unbearable - even with a coat and the heaters (it was the bar to the right as you enter in). Having said that, the french toast on the weekend brunch menu is leaps and bounds above the other options at the mall (just request a booth).

I had a similar experience with a FRIGID bar a few weeks ago. I'm not normally one to consider myself a wimp with the cold, but this was unbearable - even with a coat and the heaters (it was the bar to the right as you enter in). Having said that, the french toast on the weekend brunch menu is leaps and bounds above the other options at the mall (just request a booth).

That's where I was sitting too. They're really going to have to do something about that in terms of their management dealing with the mall management. The entrance is farther away from the doors to the metro than the one for the Ruby Tuesday was, so that's why it seems odd that the cold is such a problem. I guess RT had a more narrow entrance area, with no one sitting right inside the door. That front bar is close to where the bar was in the RT, but the only door near it was a closed emergency exit.

Had lunch at Harry's Tap Room in Pentagon City today, and it was not bad. If this is what a local mini-chain can do with good American fare, then GAR should pay attention.

I had the Creole Cuban Sandwich with a side of "Farm2Table" Bi-Colored Corn. Their Farm2Table sides number about a half dozen and looked sort of interesting, but not necessarily local. The sauteed broccoli, for example, comes from a California farm. The Cuban sandwich was very good, one of the better renditions I've had in the local area.

My partner had a bison burger, and it looked juicy....he declared it very good.

The menu had me thinking about coming back to try a few other items as well, like the new chicken drummette appetizer and the twin filets that are a Sam and Harry's signature. I would even like to try the bison burger too.

Had lunch at Harry's Tap Room in Pentagon City today, and it was not bad. If this is what a local mini-chain can do with good American fare, then GAR should pay attention.

I had the Creole Cuban Sandwich with a side of "Farm2Table" Bi-Colored Corn. Their Farm2Table sides number about a half dozen and looked sort of interesting, but not necessarily local. The sauteed broccoli, for example, comes from a California farm. The Cuban sandwich was very good, one of the better renditions I've had in the local area.

My partner had a bison burger, and it looked juicy....he declared it very good.

The menu had me thinking about coming back to try a few other items as well, like the new chicken drummette appetizer and the twin filets that are a Sam and Harry's signature. I would even like to try the bison burger too.

I think you just set yourself up for planning a NOVA Happy Hour :)