Weeknight Dinner in Arlington, VA

Choirgirl21

Meeting a friend for a partial "business" (volunteer work business)/partial catching up dinner on Wednesday and we're debating eating out or takeout at her place in Arlington. I never get down there to eat since I'm in MD so there must be places I want to hit up, but I have to admit I forever get confused about Arlington vs. Alexandria so I'm relying on you guys to help me. Anywhere we should go that would otherwise be a missed opportunity if I didn't suggest it? So far, she's mentioned Majestic (I've never been and am thinking this is a good option) or Quarter Deck.

My friend is a foodie albeit to a lesser degree than me, but her husband isn't so I think she'll enjoy a nice meal out, it just can't be super pricey. Otherwise, any cuisine is fine, no other criteria really except I guess that we can hear each other speak. B) Thanks!

Meeting a friend for a partial "business" (volunteer work business)/partial catching up dinner on Wednesday and we're debating eating out or takeout at her place in Arlington. I never get down there to eat since I'm in MD so there must be places I want to hit up, but I have to admit I forever get confused about Arlington vs. Alexandria so I'm relying on you guys to help me. Anywhere we should go that would otherwise be a missed opportunity if I didn't suggest it? So far, she's mentioned Majestic (I've never been and am thinking this is a good option) or Quarter Deck.

My friend is a foodie albeit to a lesser degree than me, but her husband isn't so I think she'll enjoy a nice meal out, it just can't be super pricey. Otherwise, any cuisine is fine, no other criteria really except I guess that we can hear each other speak. B) Thanks!

It is confusing! I always get lost in Arlington. Majestic is in Old Town Alexandria and is good but rather small and noisy. Have you considered Eventide in Clarendon? The bar is noisy, but upstairs is great.

The Quarterdeck is really only good for crabs, so unless you are in the mood for that, look elswhere. If you are in the mood for crabs, be sure to call ahead and reserve your crabs.

If you rarely go to Arlington and want a nice night out without breaking the bank, try the Liberty Tavern, Willow, or Ray's the Steaks. Reservations recommended.

I don't disagree with anything posted so far, but you've offered up a wide geographic swatch. The Majestic is in Old Town Alexandria, and your friend is somewhere in Arlington. But if The Majestic is what you're looking for, then go there. It's usually good.

In Arlington, following from north to south along a path generally defined by Wilson Blvd or a few parallel streets, and starting in Rosslyn and ending in Ballston, my favorites include Ray's Hell-Burger, Minh's (Vietnamese), Liberty Tavern, Willow and Layalina (Syrian-Lebanese).

In Arlington, following from north to south along a path generally defined by Wilson Blvd or a few parallel streets, and starting in Rosslyn and ending in Ballston, my favorites include Ray's Hell-Burger, Minh's (Vietnamese), Liberty Tavern, Willow [<Wedge>, Pupatella</Wedge>] and Layalina (Syrian-Lebanese).

Some thoughts:

Liberty Tavern is one of my go-tos, but it can be quite noisy downstairs, upstairs is normally ok, but still louder than other places. But generally good food, and I think you can still eat rather moderately. They also have a To-Go Window. But you absolutely need reservations even on a weeknight.

I haven't been as whelmed with the food at Eventide lately, I want to, I just am not. And it is pricier. But the cocktails and space are exceptional and the food is ok.

I really really love Screwtop Wine Bar, but the wine focus might not be the right fit for a business meeting. But it is quieter and they have great food and it is a great place to catch up with people.

Restaurant 3 is a good choice, you can always get in, food is good, variety of options, and it is quieter, I do a lot of business meetings there actually. They don't mind you having a table for a while. This might be your best option.

Harry's Tap Room is ok, food wise and also easier to get into and quieter.

If you don't mind lack luster dining room Nam Viet is also good (this is my Clarendon is packed and I just want to be able to eat option), but Minh's is nicer. But both also do take out and package things very consciously.

If you are in Ballston, there is Willow. Some of the food is hit and miss, but I have had quite a few things I have liked. Avoid the tempura fried items, I never tend to like their fried items.

Pupatella is awesome, but might not be great for a business meeting/catching up- it isn't some place I tend to linger- same for Hellburger.

Pupatella is awesome, but might not be great for a business meeting/catching up- it isn't some place I tend to linger- same for Hellburger.

Pupatella does takeout! You just can't get the fried calzone. Ravi Kabob is also great for taking out and a good value. Delhi Club (Indian), Layalina (Syrian-Lebanese), and Minh's (Vietnamese) are nice-ish looking places that aren't expensive or loud. Screwtop is lovely for visiting with a friend and grazing/sipping.