Taking the Day off Tomorrow

winger1930

My wife is off tomorrow, and I've been traveling a ton recently, so I thought I'd take the day off and spend the day as a tourist in DC with her (museums, Arlington Cemetary, MLK memorial maybe?). But, I don't want to eat like a tourist...any ideas for good lunch and happy hour? I'm thinking of places I wouldn't normally go to for dinner or lunch (so no Greek Deli, for example) and are really good deals (like Vidalia, but I've been there for lunch quite a few times already). Anywhere that's pretty easy to get to in DC works for me.

Thanks!

If you are down by the Mall at lunchtime and want to go upscale then:

701 features a $15 at the bar menu

Fiola offers two different 3-course lunch specials for $19 and $26

Central appears to offer a 3-course lunch special for $21

Proof also has a lunch time bar deal

Zaytinya is also another good lunch option...no specials but the patio is nice on a sunny day.

I know I'm starting to sound like an investor for this restaurant, but do give Cedar a try. Sure, it's "New American" cuisine that is found everywhere, but it's never talked about much and I find it's food as solid as the other good places in the area (and MUCH better than Central!). They have a great Happy Hour deal, I believe (though I've only been to lunches and dinners). If I don't feel like something super casual in the Penn Quarter area, I go to this place as a treat.

Might or might not be too late to try and get into a Rasika lunch?

Ended up at Central for lunch (a good call) and then took a very touristy route and went to Fogo, because it was close to where we parked and we had never been. I can barely lay on my belly right now... (and it was better than I thought it'd be). Thanks for all the recs everyone!