A Night Out On The Town In DC

hillvalley

I need recommendations on where to send a group of women in their late 30s/early 40s who want a night out in the town Saturday night without getting stuck in Valentines Day madness.

They will be staying in Penn Quarter so suggestions in that area or H street would be preferable. Not having to wait in line and no cover charge is preferable.

Do they want a happening place, or a more civilized bar??

Can I just take this as a moment to gripe about the expansion of Valentine's DAY, it is not Valentine's Week/Weekend it's a DAY people. Stop cramping up my style by not only occupying restaurants for one day, but now a weekend and a day. Not cool. I generally avoid the day itself, but now I am expected to go at least one weekend too. Ggrrr, I hate it, I really loathe it. Trying to get a res this weekend for a group of friends was like pulling teeth due to this stupid "holiday weekend" ugg.

Can I just take this as a moment to gripe about the expansion of Valentine's DAY, it is not Valentine's Week/Weekend it's a DAY people. Stop cramping up my style by not only occupying restaurants for one day, but now a weekend and a day. Not cool. I generally avoid the day itself, but now I am expected to go at least one weekend too. Ggrrr, I hate it, I really loathe it. Trying to get a res this weekend for a group of friends was like pulling teeth due to this stupid "holiday weekend" ugg.

You know what's an even bigger hassle than trying to make a reservation for "Valentine's Weekend"? Trying to sell your significant other on moving Valentine's Day to the weekend so that you can work on Valentine's Day night and serve those people who are able to dine out on the 14th proper.

Some people DO have different schedules, y'know.

I'd second Proof. What about the bar/lounge at Rasika? I've been there but not real recently, and it's certainly civilized. I don't know if they'll encounter a lot of Valentine's traffic there or not, but it wouldn't seem any worse than at Proof.

Do they want a happening place, or a more civilized bar??

So do I. Hallmark Cards needs to take some of the blame.