Craving, seriously jonesing, for japchae. Recommendations?

It's on a lot of Korean restaurant menus but I don't think we've ever ordered it (too easy to make at home). You might try Han Sung Oak though, from what I remember, it's on the menu there and they're a good restaurant (YMMV, and don't shoot the messenger :)).

My favorite japchae in Annandale is the buchu japchae at Jang Won Korean Chinese. I was introduced to it by Grover in a $20 Tuesday she did there. Not sure how authentic/good it is, but I like it.

That said, you do get a lot of it. Not really a single man's order. Although now I'm craving it...

It's on a lot of Korean restaurant menus but I don't think we've ever ordered it (too easy to make at home).

This is probably better in the cooking forum, but do you have a recipe for good japchae to make at home? I like it when the noodles are warm/hot, but they always turn into a sticky mess. The flavor and ingredients are usually fine, my execution is just off. Thanks!

This is probably better in the cooking forum, but do you have a recipe for good japchae to make at home? I like it when the noodles are warm/hot, but they always turn into a sticky mess. The flavor and ingredients are usually fine, my execution is just off. Thanks!

I'll ask Grover to post how she makes it. (PS: the noodles always turn into a sticky mess. That's half the fun :D).

My favorite japchae in Annandale is the buchu japchae at Jang Won Korean Chinese.

Ordered the buchu japchae at Jang Wong. It was tasty but . . . .

Who knew that there was japchae without, not just glass noodles, but any noodles at all? That's like a pasta dish without pasta . . . .

Stomach is actually growling now.

Ordered the buchu japchae at Jang Wong. It was tasty but . . . .

Who knew that there was japchae without, not just glass noodles, but any noodles at all? That's like a pasta dish without pasta . . . .

Stomach is actually growling now.

Oh, yeah, I guess that is true, sorry about that. I think japchae means something like mixed vegetables, so dangmyeon isn't a requirement. And since, frankly, I don't like dangmyeon, that's the type I like. The last time I got the buchu japchae there, it had quite a bit of buchu (garlic chives? some sort of leek?), so much they were like the noodles.

I think I once had kongnamul japchae which is noodle-less as well; just lots of yummy, yummy bean sprouts!

Oh, yeah, I guess that is true, sorry about that. I think japchae means something like mixed vegetables, so dangmyeon isn't a requirement. And since, frankly, I don't like dangmyeon, that's the type I like. The last time I got the buchu japchae there, it had quite a bit of buchu (garlic chives? some sort of leek?), so much they were like the noodles.

I think I once had kongnamul japchae which is noodle-less as well; just lots of yummy, yummy bean sprouts!

On the way home from work I swung by the H Mart on Heritage and picked up a couple of packages of premade japchae noodles from the prepared food section. Meatless, and I have been craving dangmyeon stir fried in sesame oil with vegetables and meat, so I also got a pack of thin-sliced rib eye (bulgogi). Also a pricey little bottle of wild sesame oil.

When I got home, remembered I had some brisket in the fridge, so shredded some of that instead of the bulgogi, and heated it with the HMart japchae and wild sesame oil. It comes close to what I have been craving. That wild sesame oil is something different, it has so much umami it reminds me of fish sauce.

I will return to Jang Wong and try the japchae that has the noodles. They call the noodles vermicelli but HMart calls their japchae noodles, which are indisputably dangmyeon, "vermicelli" so I hope that's what Jang Wong means, as well.

I will return to Jang Wong and try the japchae that has the noodles. They call the noodles vermicelli but HMart calls their japchae noodles, which are indisputably dangmyeon, "vermicelli" so I hope that's what Jang Wong means, as well.

Oh, I can't imagine it would be anything but. I'm guessing the "vermicelli" is just a translation, probably on the package; I think I've seen that on some packs of dangmyeon at H-Mart.

That said, all this talk of noodles and the hot weather outside is making me crave some cold naengmyeon. Mmmm...refreshing buckwheat noodles.

Oh, I can't imagine it would be anything but. I'm guessing the "vermicelli" is just a translation, probably on the package; I think I've seen that on some packs of dangmyeon at H-Mart.

That said, all this talk of noodles and the hot weather outside is making me crave some cold naengmyeon. Mmmm...refreshing buckwheat noodles.

By George, you're right!

I have a pack of Wang Globalnet "Korean style starch noodle" in the pantry and it calls itself vermicelli.

On the back side of the package, it says (among other things)

Flavor the rinsed "AL-DDLE-JAB-CHAI" with various spices such as sesame powder, sesame oil, soy sauce, sugar, onion, and garlic, adding sliced meats and vegetables, which makes "JABCHAI" in other words "CHOP SUEY."

And there you have it. Apparently.