One Ethiopian Dinner in NW DC

bonmot

I understand that DC is pretty much the goto spot in the US for Ethiopian food. I've had it once in Chicago, and liked it, but there aren't too many choices around here. Over on Chicago's version of Don Rockwell.com (called the LTH Forum), Habesha Market is getting some recommendations. I'm hoping to get the views of locals rather than us interlopers.

I've been keeping a list of options. Here are a few that are on my radar. Most are in the U-Street/Shaw area, but I'm happy to consider others in NW. (conventioneer - no car)

• Habesha Market
  • Etete
  • Dukem
  • Queen Makeda
  • Queen of Sheba
  • Little Ethiopia

I'd rather not have something too watered down for American palates. I'm not ashamed to admit that the idea of kitfo freaks me out a wee bit (not a steak tartar kind of guy usually), but I think if it is nicely spicy I'll give it a shot. I have a preference for laid back over formal and friendly staff over reserved. No dietary restrictions, really.

What's missing from my list? Any good recent experiences?

Thanks for your help. You all really came through for me in the Dupont Circle lunch thread. I hope i'm not taking advantage of your hospitality by asking for additional suggestions.

I can't speak to the places you mentioned, but I've had really great experiences at Ethiopic on H St, NE. It was the first place I had ever tried for Ethipoian food, and I've now been back three times. They have an incredible vegetarian sampler that comes out on injera. While I enjoy the kitfo, it's not necessary. They also have plenty of meat dishes that are cooked. I would also mention that the servers and staff are helpful to newbies, and it has a very comfortable and relaxed atmosphere.

I can't speak to the places you mentioned, but I've had really great experiences at Ethiopic on H St, NE. It was the first place I had ever tried for Ethipoian food, and I've now been back three times. They have an incredible vegetarian sampler that comes out on injera. While I enjoy the kitfo, it's not necessary. They also have plenty of meat dishes that are cooked. I would also mention that the servers and staff are helpful to newbies, and it has a very comfortable and relaxed atmosphere.

I like Ethiopic too. Even though the original request was for NW and it's in NE, it's not incredibly far from the eastern edge of NW and is a short walk from Union Station. The vegetarian platter is excellent there. I think it's better than any of the meat. I also like the spicy chickpea Butcha appetizer. And I agree about the helpful service.

Years ago I used to eat Ethiopian food more than I do now. I enjoyed Dukem for quite a while, then not so much, but it sounds like it might be improving again. My only experience with Etete was pretty disappointing.

I'm directly in line with Waitman. Ethiopic served me dinner rolls before my meal.

Third. I liked Ethiopic quite a bit when it first opened, but I think the praise that has been lathered on it has had a negative impact. Coupled with service that is at times glacial, and at best inattentive, I can't recommend it.

But Zenebech is awesome.

Third. I liked Ethiopic quite a bit when it first opened, but I think the praise that has been lathered on it has had a negative impact. Coupled with service that is at times glacial, and at best inattentive, I can't recommend it.

I haven't been to Ethiopic in a while, so it may be that it has declined. Maybe their opening a bakery next door depleted their resources. I haven't been to the bakery yet, though it's been open a few months.

I'm back from my recent visit to DC and Alexandria. Based on the feedback in this thread, I chose to go to Zenebech Injera, though I ended up going at lunchtime rather than dinner. As soon as I walked in, I knew that this was my kind of place. I was greeted warmly and offered a taste of some bread by a gentleman after I placed my order for Awaze Tibs-Lamb. A truly dinner-sized portion was placed in front of me a few minutes later, and the guy who offered me the bread showed me that I should ladle some of the tibs directly onto the injera (duh, in retrospect). All-in-all it was tasty and a very good experience. It was pretty close to the Shaw stop (maybe 4 or 5 minutes).

Thanks for the helpful suggestions, all. Happy eating to everyone.

bonmot

• Like 3

I didn't have any Ethiopian suggestions, but wanted to respond to your statement that you hoped you weren't taking advantage of our hospitality my asking for additional suggestions: never! Food-lovers always welcome. I'll probably show up on LTH before our trip to Chicago this summer, asking for recs . . .