Help Needed for 12 People in 2 Days

nashman1975

All--

I need a rabbit out of a hat on this one. We had made reservations at a classy DC establishment for 10 (the most they would allow) on Friday at 1830. We have 12 coming, and were begging and pleading for how to change it (can we do 6 + 6 or something--no dice). The host is now wanting to cancel and given my proclivities for eating out and my insider knowledge, you guys, I have been tasked with helping. I did a quick search on OT and got this...

Cabanas

Merkado

Nick's Riverside Grille

Restaurant Kolumbia

Sesto Senso

Spezie

Tony & Joe's

I'm not sure on any of these. Any other suggestions. Am I off my rocker for even asking if there are other alternative places. Requirements:

1. DC or Arlington

2. No more than say $50-60 a person

3. Can seat 12 people on this short notice (so I don't have to dial everywhere)

Thanks in advance,

Nashman

Open table might not reveal all of the possbilities as a lot of restaurant will not take reservations for large parties through OT. I'd call around to some of the local favoriate hangouts and see if they can accomodate you (Friday evening could be tough though). I'd give Danny a shout at Notti Bianci or Derrik at Firefly and see if they can fit you in. Or try Corduroy.

Of the restaurants you found on OT, I would pick Sesto Senso.

Edited by Jacques Gastreaux

Viridian, family style. If you're not drinking like lushes, you can keep it to 60. a person. They took us three days in advance, table of 15. It was fun as hell. Crowd pleasing food (though not tom powers or anything close), desserts were conversation pieces, to say the least.

I need a rabbit out of a hat on this one. We had made reservations at a classy DC establishment for 10 (the most they would allow) on Friday at 1830. We have 12 coming, and were begging and pleading for how to change it (can we do 6 + 6 or something--no dice).
Rasika has a private room that fits about 15 or so. Their very annoying (IMO) website has a photo of the space under its "private functions" header. Edited by crackers

Agreed - Spezie accomodated me very nicely one time w/ a group of 10 - they put us in the back room - that would fit 12 if you put seats at the heads of the table.

and you can get by easily on $50-$60/person - good size portions. Wine's not the cheapest there, and that could stretch your dollar, but not by too much over.

I recently went to a dinner with 15 people at Sesto Senso. They did a really nice job with us. We had the whole upstairs to ourselves and service was excellent. Food was fine and you could definitely do it for $50pp or less. Certainly not the best Italian around, but I would choose it over something like Cabanas.

Viridian, family style.  If you're not drinking like lushes, you can keep it to 60. a person.  They took us three days in advance, table of 15.  It was fun as hell.  Crowd pleasing food (though not tom powers or anything close), desserts were conversation pieces, to say the least.

Didn't Viridian just have massive chef/management turnover?

I might try Bistro Francais for the hell of it -- they have a pre-theater menu which tells me they may not be busy early on. Or Mendocino, in the sme 'hood.

Spezie did a nice job accommodating our group of 12 with a same day reservation on a Saturday night a few weeks ago. We were seated in the back room and I thought it worked great. We weren't drinking too much but I was surprised to get out of there at no more than $45 a person.