Padron and Shishito Peppers (Merged)

mtureck

Amuse

Shishito peppers, sea salt

Jeff, that sounds great, but I've got a question for you.

I've seen Shishito peppers spring up on menus everywhere in the past six months or so. Did something happen price/availibility wise to rocket them into superstardom? Don't get me wrong, this isn't a criticism...I really like them. Just curious.

Again, thanks for the dinners...always nice when your favorite place had a great deal! I hope to take advantage of one soon.

Jeff, that sounds great, but I've got a question for you.

I've seen Shishito peppers spring up on menus everywhere in the past six months or so. Did something happen price/availibility wise to rocket them into superstardom? Don't get me wrong, this isn't a criticism...I really like them. Just curious.

Again, thanks for the dinners...always nice when your favorite place had a great deal! I hope to take advantage of one soon.

I would guess increased availability would be the most likely culprit. They have gone from being relatively unknown to almost trite rather quickly.

Hi All-

I'm new to the area and I'm missing the padron and/or shishito peppers I was able to find this time of year at farmer's markets in North Carolina.

These are smallish, green, spicy (to varying degrees) grilling peppers.

I see them on plenty of restaurant menus, but I'm looking for a DC source for home cooking. I've kept an eye out and asked around at the Dupont and Columbia Heights markets without any luck.

Any suggestions?

Shishitos are an odd duck. Some are completely mild, and others (out of the same batch) can be pretty hot. No idea if there's a way to tell which ones will have a kick without taking a bite.

Probably not.  It has to do with both genetics and how much water each plant received during the season.  I had some poblanos once I grew through a droughty time, and they were barely edible they were so hot.

Hi All-

I'm new to the area and I'm missing the padron and/or shishito peppers I was able to find this time of year at farmer's markets in North Carolina.

These are smallish, green, spicy (to varying degrees) grilling peppers.

I see them on plenty of restaurant menus, but I'm looking for a DC source for home cooking. I've kept an eye out and asked around at the Dupont and Columbia Heights markets without any luck.

Any suggestions?

I was on a similar hunt for padron peppers after a trip to Barcelona. I order them online from La Tienda, who gets them from a family farmer in the US - used to be in the Charlottesville area, not sure if that's still the case.  I have several containers in the fridge from a recent order and they look great.

Shishitos are an odd duck. Some are completely mild, and others (out of the same batch) can be pretty hot. No idea if there's a way to tell which ones will have a kick without taking a bite.

That's the fun part of eating them!

H Mart in Merrifield has what I think are shishito peppers, marked as 'Sweet peppers'.  I'll grill or roast some up later and see how they are.

After pan-sauteeing them in an iron skillet, I can attest that they are tasty.  Also, at least one small one was incendiary, but the rest were mildly spicy and tasty.

I picked up some shishitos at Super H today, mostly because there was a red one in the package.  Hors d'oeuvres and garden seeds in one go is something I can't pass by.  For those of you who cook them regularly, would you mind sharing what sort of oil you use?  Something neutral, or something to impart a little flavor?