Markham's Bar and Grill, Owner Steve Markham in the Former Majestic/Gaffney's Space on Wisconsin Avenue in Bethesda - Closed

Looks like One3Five Cuisine is taking over the former Majestic/Gaffney spot on Wisconsin Avenue.  I have had a few sandwiches from the food truck and everything has been very good.  Not sure how this will translate.

http://www.bethesdamagazine.com/Blogs/Table-Talk/July-August-2013/One3Five-Cuisine-food-truck-owner-taking-over-former-Majestic-space/

The new restaurant Markham's Bar and Grill opened today (via Robert Dyer's blog).

We've been to Markham's twice.  First stopped in on a Thursday night when the Redskins were on TV and there was a rather boisterous crowd of fans at the bar.  Because of the game, there was a half-price wings special, so my husband got orders of all 3 varieties - Thai, Buffalo and BBQ.  (We were with friends.)  All were crisply cooked and tasty, but we all preferred the Buffalo variety.  I had the daily special Black Bean with Salsa Soup which was excellent.  Everyone else had burgers and fries which they were all happy with.

My husband and I returned last evening for an early dinner and happened to be there before Happy Hour ended at 7, so my $8 glass of wine turned out to be half-price.  I think because of Monday Night Football, they were offering a Fried Shrimp special which my husband tried and loved.  I had Smoked Duck Quesadillas which were accompanied with guacamole, pico de gallo and lime sour cream.  I can't say I would have been able to identify the filling as smoked duck, but it was delicious, and our server brought me extra sauces and I happily gobbled it all up.

They call themselves a "Bar and Grill," and that is definitely the vibe you get.  There are tables in the front, a nice long bar, and booths along the wall opposite, and probably 4 or 5 TV's.  The staff is welcoming and efficient, and the kitchen is doing a good job with the food.  The menu offers some interesting off-beat selections which I plan to try out on a return visit.  It's really a nice, neighborhood spot!

Menu here:  http: //washingtondc.menupages.com/restaurants/markhams-bar-grill/menu

• Like 1

We snuck in two weeks ago for a quick drink and a burger. Not a bad start - it's a little loud (wood everything, stamped metal ceiling insert) but not too bad.

The burger is reminiscent of a haute Big Mac, and I mean that in a good way. I used to get the double patty/Russian dressing burger at the late Hot Shoppes chain. I think this is a worthy descendant. (Edited: I originally said "successor." NO SUCH THING.  :lol: )

In any case, a giant upgrade over the previous two incarnations. Good luck!

We were in Markhams last night visiting one of Washington's finest bartenders "Smokin" Joe McKay. The app we tried-Pakistani tacos-were mealy and the chicken was wet, not moist, so it needs some work. Lively atmosphere, especially for a Wednesday,  as Joe said a lot of folks from the hood are regulars. $4 glasses of Matua SB during happy hour 4-7 are a good deal. We will return. We then moved onto Foong Lin for some excellent Chinese food.  A fun evening. 

• Like 1

OK. Met some buddies here after work this week at their suggestion. First time for me. Straightforward beer list. No issues with service. Some "interesting" takes on bar food like the "Pakistani Tacos" with mostly Mexican ingredients...except for the tzatziki and feta cheese? Probably won't rush back but nothing disastrous.

Markham's sure didn't last very long - it closed, and has been taken over by Robert Wiedemaier's Villain & Saint. (Thanks, NB)

One irony of over-expansion is that as long as you keep your flagship up to speed, your reputation is intact. Whether or not that's justified, I'll leave for others to decide - I think the ultimate test of this hypothesis is going to be Danny Meyer.