Jerry's Seafood, Owner Jerry Gainey's Legendary Seafood Shack Now Only on Major Lansdale Blvd. in Bowie

Just a crabby note. After wanting to try it for a long time, I finally made it to Jerry's Seafood in Lanham for lunch today. I tried the "Jr." version of the crab bomb, with slaw and (today's special) green beans on the side, preceeded by a cup of crab bisque.

The crab is coming from Venezuela these days. Of course, the ChesBay season doesn't open until April 1, so that's to be expected right now. Based on Joe's comments above, however, it probably continues indefinitely. So if you insist on local crab, beware.

The bisque was really fine. A thick and sherry-tasting cream sauce with crab perched on the top. It all went down well. Let's not talk about calories here. And they bring you quality oyster crackers, Waterman brand if memory serves.

The crab bomb (junior) was as I've heard it to be. Broiled/baked not fried, with in excess of a cup of pure crab meat I'd say, with very little filler and that more sauce than bread. Served in a metal oval baking dish straight out of the oven. A nice crust formed, and the whole thing tasted about a crabby as could be imagined. One can only wonder what it would be like with the local product. The sides were good too--the slaw was crunchy and not too sweet, and the beans were remarkably buttery, soft yet with a bite.

On the whole, a good nearby place to satisfy a crab cake craving. Not cheap. The bisque was $7.50, and the junior bomb was about $25. The full size bomb is closer to $35

The crab is coming from Venezuela these days. Of course, the ChesBay season doesn't open until April 1, so that's to be expected right now.

I would love for some ambitious, young, investigative reporter to follow up here regarding the origin of Jerry's crabmeat during the peak months.

True blue, or time to call a spayed us paid?
Rocks.

A visit today confirmed that this continues as the D. C. area's best source for both crab cakes and cream of crab soup. A lump crab cake sandwich was $16.95, the 10 ounce crab bomb a breathtaking $33.95 and an eight ounce cup of cream of crab soup, $7.50. Despite the remarkably steep prices and non descript 1950ish rec room ambience I believe Jerry's is worth every penny of this. G & M (with its Indonesian crabmeat and cheap mayonnaisey filler), Stoney's on Broome Island and others are a waste of time next to Jerry's. Only the Narrows and Suicide Bridge challenge it for both crab cakes and cream of crab soup.

Jerry's has very limited hours, often with long lines waiting to get in. Sunday is 12-5, Saturday 11:30-9:30, lunch on T-F, 11:30-2:00 and dinner T-F 5:30-8:30.

I can taste (and see) the difference in G & M's crab meat; if Jerry's is not local/Carolina I cannot tell.

Blue Duck served me excellent backfin lump LA crab last Friday so I suppose it depends on who your supplier is. Snyders off Georgia Avenue featured lump Venezuelan crab for $7.50 a pound which produced decent winter crab cakes recently.

I read that Jerry's is moving next month about 2 miles to a spot in a newish shopping center (Vista Gardens Marketplace) at the intersection of Rts. 450, 704 and Lottsford Vista Rd in Lanham/Bowie. The article says 10K sq ft, 3 dining rooms and a carryout.

I read that Jerry's is moving next month about 2 miles to a spot in a newish shopping center (Vista Gardens Marketplace) at the intersection of Rts. 450, 704 and Lottsford Vista Rd in Lanham/Bowie. The article says 10K sq ft, 3 dining rooms and a carryout.

That would ruin it.

There's a rumor that the original owner of Jerry's in Lanham has opened a new place near Prince Frederick, MD.

The rumor is in a southern Maryland forums thread discussing the opening of a new Green Turtle there.

"Jerry's Place is great. Good friend of my dad...he did the electric work. He doesn't have his liquor license yet but it's in the works. Jerry used to own a very successful restaurant in Lanham, Jerry's Seafood, but sold that to his nephew years ago when he moved down this way. He has limited hours right now. Give him a try and let me know what you think."

He's picked a location in a mini-strip mall next to a Mr. Tire that has had at least 3 failed restaurants there since about 1998. I may have to give it a try sometime on my way home.

From the 8/21 Bowie Blade-News (location referenced is @ Rtes. 50/197 interchange near the Regal movie theater):

"Jerry's Seafood Restaurant is coming to Bowie. The popular, Lanham-based seafood restaurant will be located in the restaurant park on Major Lansdale Boulevard in Bowie Crossing.

Jerry's will be moving into the location vacated several months ago by the Bistro Fish Restaurant, that took over the location from Tony Roma's.

Owner Phil Gainey, nephew to Jerry Gainey, the original "Jerry" in Jerry's Seafood, told the Blade-News that the restaurant has had its eye on Bowie for sometime.

'We offer both catering and carry-out services and both have expanded and it's quite frankly getting crowded in our Lanham location. People who do carry-out have to come in the front door to pick up food and that is disrupting to the restaurant atmosphere,' said Gainey.

He said the Bowie location will include expanded hours, a full service bar, curb-side carry-out and, of course, all the favorites on its menu, including the Crab Bomb - a crab cake that includes 10 ounces of jumbo lump crab that's seasoned with Old Bay and baked golden brown.

Gainey plans to open the Bowie location in September. Jerry's Seafood Restaurant is also located at 9364 Lanham-Severn Road in Lanham, 108 Second St. in Lewes, Del., and its other new location, 169 West St., Annapolis."

Voice mail says they regret that they had to close down their Lanham location. Bowie still open.

I am going to miss it, but my workplace is close to the Bowie location as well!

Well, Jerry's Seafood has nudged out Rip's Country Inn as #1 in Bowie.

Of course we only have two Bowie restaurants in our Dining Guide.

Damn, I would give my eye teeth to have more Prince George's County posts. Todd, why don't you get active here and promote your home turf? Because we're "competitors?" Meh. We aren't.

There's a sister restaurant to Pasta Plus there that could quite likely be in Italic. Anyone been? Is it still open?

Sigh ... our strengths are so strong; our weaknesses are so weak.

It was really odd putting Jerry's under the "Bowie" section of the Maryland Dining Guide.