Whole Foods Bans Sale of Live Crustaceans

Poivrot Farci

It would appear as if science has once again been overlooked by the self-righteous.

The ramification for humans are more concerning since dead crustaceans pose a health risk and there is no proof that frozen lobsters were, uh... put to sleep while still living.

Lobster and crab organs are so close to the meat we ingest that once a crustacean succumbs, its meat can become contaminated.

Do oysters have feelings?

Ultimately, the scientific community and flakes should decide whether crabs or lobsters would you rather be frozen or boiled to death?

If I were a crustacean -which I am not- I would organize my fellow crustaceans and plan attacks on unassuming bathers.

Now, if only Whole Foods can figure out a way to harvest that $35.99 per # Copper River salmon without jamming a hook through the mouth of the fish mouth and then having them slowly suffocate.

Thankfully, the path to your table of the $7 Golden Beet is positively blissful.

Whole Foods' policy on this is insane, and I doubt it will improve their bottom line. I think quite the opposite may be true.

It's all well and good for us to talk about this here. We should really be letting WF management know what we think.

What is the best way to do this? I asked at the Springfield store and the cashier told me to "call Regional." What the heck is that?

Meanwhile, my husband--ever the intrepid hunter/gatherer--found beautiful live soft-shells at Wegmans a couple of weeks ago, for $3.99 each. They were wonderful!

We should really be letting WF management know what we think.

My attorney and I are drafting a letter post haste, after a game of Hungry Hungry Hippo and 7 healthy shots of Tuaca. Letter of discontent 1.0 will be posted forthcoming for community contribution and suggestion.

References to pubic lice and women/men with "all the meat in the tail" shall be discouraged.

What is the best way to do this? I asked at the Springfield store and the cashier told me to "call Regional." What the heck is that?

Regional is the regional office in Rockville. 301.984.4874

The sefood coordinator during my day was Joe Stofer, I think he is still in the same position. A decision like this is reached at National in Austin. But Joe will be the poor shlub taking all the complaint calls passed on from the stores, who in all liklihood do not have a good answer because its really hard to train 40,000 people or so on how to parrot the company line. Just go ask at a store about rbst in milk and see the blank looks. Or just go and ask what Organic means. Or call a store and ask for an unusual product you have just bolught there and see what the odds are you will be told they do not carry them (I suggested someone by Alici at one WFM after seeing them there myself the same day. He called and was told they do not carry them!).

You might get a better answer by talking to the marketing coordinator in the store.

This article came to me in the context of an email list dedicated to fighting legislation proposed by Animal Rights groups with the goal of eliminating pet ownership. It certainly puts Whole Foods in a very interesting position--not in a good way. They actually found a lobster purveyor that complies with their ideas of "humane" treatment for crustaceans destined for a pot of boiling water, so that they can sell live lobsters in their store in Maine. But the purveyor is in New Hampshire. :lol:

While I support some of Whole Foods' policies, and I have been a loyal customer since before they were Whole Foods, I am very concerned that they are buying into the crazy ideas of the PeTA and HSUS fanatics, who don't want us to have any contact with animals or animal products in any way, shape, or form.

Whole Foods has, IMO, made a very serious error in trying to obtain validation from these nut jobs.

Please understand, I am not maligning anyone's choice to be vegan themselves, only those who want to force that lifestyle on me through legislation and public pressure. Veganism is not healthy for everyone.

I guess I need to work on new places to buy my groceries.

Martha Stewart actually said and did something I thought was brilliant: In a show about cooking lobsters, she threw a shot glass full of vodka into the boiling water, just before adding the live lobsters, because, she said, "If YOU were going to be boiled alive, you'd like a drink, too!" :lol:

I remember watching Nathalie Dupree's segment on lobsters some years ago. Having prepared the pot and selected a lobster, she paused to address the camera for a minute on the topic of lobster cruelty. She casually set the lobster down on her countertop. Some people, she said, thought that you should first "hypnotize" the lobster by stroking its carapace like this (she demonstrated). Other people thought it was better to quickly kill the lobster by plunging a knife into it here (she posed with a knife).

"But I think it's best to put them straight into the pot" and with sudden swiftness she scooped the lobster up with one hand while quickly snatching the lid off the pot with the other, plunged the lobster into the water headfirst, and slammed the lid shut. Good ol' Nathalie. :lol:

"But I think it's best to put them straight into the pot" and with sudden swiftness she scooped the lobster up with one hand while quickly snatching the lid off the pot with the other, plunged the lobster into the water headfirst, and slammed the lid shut. Good ol' Nathalie. :unsure:
This is what I actually do, not normally having any vodka around . . .

Which reminds me of the time I made a Lobster Risotto for a family dinner party in honor of my mother's college graduation at the age of 68. My then-new SIL (who was from OMAHA!) was watching while I plunged the ONLY live lobster I could find in the city of El Paso and said, "Ohhh, Can't you hear it's scream?" :lol: Um, NO, actually not.