Pomme - Chef Gerard Gasparini's Classic French Fine Dining in the Blue Ridge Foothills, Gordonsville - Closed

Maybe I'm coming to the table late with this, but has anyone ventured that far south that they have gone to Pomme? Everything I have read:

"Also, the opéra cake on the menu epitomizes what chef Gerard Gasparini is trying to do at Pomme. “My style is classic French cooking with a touch of the chef,” says the French native, “I try to cook things that you used to see on menus in French restaurants that French chefs don’t make anymore.” Style Weekly, Richmond, VA

makes Pomme sound like a definite destination restaurant.

This place was 2/3 full at 1:30 in the afternoon today and the waiter spouted off a list of specials that must have been half as long as the printed menu. I tried the pea and tomato soup to start. It was pureed but not too thin, with some cream base, tasted mostly of tomato, but with a distinct pea overtone. Quite enjoyable. I also most enjoyed the fish stew special, which was not a bouillabaisse, but a heavier tomato and cream based stew with toasted bread pieces covered with cheese at the bottom. A very rustic dish, and for a brief moment I felt transported to a small village in France. The waiter apologized for a delay in bringing bread by saying they had just run out, but more would be coming out of the oven soon. The tarte aux charolaise (flat bread tart with sliced beef, spinach, caramelized onions, and melted cheese) also was reported as excellent, and I might just get into some leftovers a little bit later. I am no expert on French restaurants, but this place struck me as fairly authentic. This is not necessarily fine dining, just good down home French cooking. In fact, according to the website, if there is something you have been craving, just call, and they will make it for you:

Is there a classic dish that you have not had in a long time? Feel free to call Chef, as he would love to prepare it for you.

. This is not necessarily fine dining, just good down home French cooking.

I think that you nailed it on the head with this line. Not a destination restaurant, but a very good place that's better than anything else that I've had along that stretch of 29.

It sounds like they have changed their menu a little bit from the last time I was there, might have to stop in again at some point (it has been a while). When we were there it was solid, but didn't leave us craving to go back. But it definitely sounds more interesting now.

It sounds like they have changed their menu a little bit from the last time I was there, might have to stop in again at some point (it has been a while). When we were there it was solid, but didn't leave us craving to go back. But it definitely sounds more interesting now.

There is something going on down there. The couple at the table next to us was discussing the Sarkozy re-election campaign. Really.

Just before being stuck behind the longest freight train I've ever seen in my life - it must have been over 200-cars long (I'm wondering if it was closer to 300) - I drove past Rochambeau, in the former Pomme space.

Chef Bernard Guillot is manning the kitchen here - the restaurant is frightfully expensive for its location, and I'm not quite convinced that just because "three of his restaurants have been awarded Michelin stars," this old-school (I'm talking <<fin de siècle>> old-school) French restaurant will be worth the relatively high price. I might have dined there last night, but it's closed on Sunday evenings (instead, I made an "unfortunate" culinary choice in Charlottesville, after having been teased the night before).

• Like 1