Wine Email Lists

There was some discussion in another thread about being on the mailing list from various wineries, so I thought it might warrant a separate topic. I am on the mailing list of a few highly-allocated wineries (Araujo, Harlan, etc.), and would be willing to either allow others to share in my order or trade for something similar.

Which other "coveted lists" include DR.com members?

There was some discussion in another thread about being on the mailing list from various wineries, so I thought it might warrant a separate topic. I am on the mailing list of a few highly-allocated wineries (Araujo, Harlan, etc.), and would be willing to either allow others to share in my order or trade for something similar.

Which other "coveted lists" include DR.com members?

I doubt that I am the only one with this question, but how does one get on these mailing lists? Do you have to visit the wineries, know somebody, or have a bunch of cash?

I doubt that I am the only one with this question, but how does one get on these mailing lists? Do you have to visit the wineries, know somebody, or have a bunch of cash?
In the internet era, most of the time all you need is the time to sign up online. Some of the more luddite wineries use Fax. Typically once the list fills up, there is a waiting list, and so on. In the most extreme cases (Screagle, maybe) you may have to know someone, but I don't think cash ever figures into the equation, until you buy the wine, of course.

For the most part, you need to sign up, get in line, and hope for the best. A few of them even have waiting lists for the waiting lists! Then, once you make it to the list, they start you out buy offering some of the lesser wines for you to purchase. And believe me, they very carefully track your purchase history over time. Buy more, move up in status. Don't buy, lose status. Eventually (after a couple of vintages), they'll offer you some of the flagship wine that you wanted all along, yet still expect you to keep buying the other wines too. Oh, and they shamelessly raise the prices every year.

Dinwiddie's is right. I am on about a half dozen or so lists and I also regularly buy off of other folks' lists, usually to my fellow DC Crü pals. I remember thinking it was funny when Kistler dumped me off their list. One list I know I will fight to stay on is Kosta-Browne. Oh, and Peay.

Dinwiddie's is right. I am on about a half dozen or so lists and I also regularly buy off of other folks' lists, usually to my fellow DC Crü pals. I remember thinking it was funny when Kistler dumped me off their list. One list I know I will fight to stay on is Kosta-Browne. Oh, and Peay.
Kistler is one of the worst lists (IMHO) in terms of minimum purchase, etc. Truly frustrating, a totally different experience than, say, Copain or R-C. I fully expect to be dropped from Kistler after the next allocation. Oh well.

Kistler is one of the worst lists (IMHO) in terms of minimum purchase, etc. Truly frustrating, a totally different experience than, say, Copain or R-C. I fully expect to be dropped from Kistler after the next allocation. Oh well.

I figure I've been dumped from Martinelli since I didn't buy the last two times since I didn't want to be captive. I love buying from Radio Coteau, and Siduri keeps sending me letters even though I seldom buy anything anymore (just to many lists and too little money). Karl Lawrence keeps sending me the same allocation and I keep buying it, hoping to move up soon.

My current lists:

R-C

Siduri

Karl Lawrence

WesMar

Dain

A Donkey and Goat

Loring

A.P. Vin

ROAR

Neal

Kosta Browne

I figure I've been dumped from Martinelli since I didn't buy the last two times since I didn't want to be captive. I love buying from Radio Coteau, and Siduri keeps sending me letters even though I seldom buy anything anymore (just to many lists and too little money). Karl Lawrence keeps sending me the same allocation and I keep buying it, hoping to move up soon.

My current lists:

R-C

Siduri

Karl Lawrence

WesMar

Dain

A Donkey and Goat

Loring

A.P. Vin

ROAR

Neal

Kosta Browne

I'm on:

Copain

Radio Coteau

Kosta Browne

Loring

Peay

Sea Smoke

Kistler

Quilceda Creek

I'm on:

Araujo -- Estate cab, "Altagracia" cab, and syrah

Harlan -- the Maiden, and their new venture called "Bond"

Kistler -- various chardonnays and pinot noir (none of the rarer cuvees though). ditto what Keith said on their policies...

Pahlmeyer -- Jayson red and chardonnay

Lokoya -- various cabs

I just got my Araujo allocation notice, so if anyone wants in on the 2003 estate cab, send me an email.

Lists I am on ---

Radio Coteau

Kosta Browne

Rivers Marie

Bressler

Match

Peay

Kosta Browne

I am on the list and have not ordered recently, but have not been dropped yet --

Loring

I piggyback orders with dinwiddie, other DC Crü members or other winos I know from these --

Kistler (sometimes)

WesMar

A Donkey and Goat

Aubert

Dehlinger

Dain

Martinelli (their minimums are kind of high too)

Funny you should ask.

We are in the process of starting one. It probably won't be implimented until around Labor Day, but I'm hopefull. When it gets implimented, I'll make an announcement here. We want customers to be able to sign up online.

WooHoo. I can't wait. Thanks!

Bell Wine Shop on M Street sends a weekly email out that shares notes on about 10 wines in the store. I think they taste every Saturday afternoon. You can sign up in the shop, or I think by responding to the address, bellwine(at)msn.com. A sample:

Zeller Schwarze Katz 04 Kreusch 7/22/06

This wine brings back memories of yesteryear when we considered this wine quite sophisticated (at least compared to Annie Greensprings). The light, Germanic bouquet introduces a clean, pleasant tasting wine whose good acidity balances the inherent sweetness. The flavors are vaguely of Riesling. A nice, relaxing sipper. $6.49

Ayler Kupp Riesling 05 Kabinett 7/22/06

The bouquet has a fresh quality. The wine is medium-bodied, crisp and carries a full load of fruit. Pleasant Riesling flavors. $10.99

Mark West Pinot Noir 05 California 7/22/06

While the flavors did not live up to the bouquet which was full, varietal and inviting, with breathing the wine took on varietal character and proved to be a popular favorite. A marked improvement over the winery’s prior low-end offering which they sourced from Corsica and was positively wretched. $10.99

Château Fage 04 Graves de Vayres 7/22/06

This is a medium-bodied Bordeaux. The flavors are Cabernet based with a light herbal undernote. Nicely balanced and pleasant. $9.99

Actually, most good wine shops with an online presence have e-mail lists that you can subscribe to. In addition, there are lots of shops that do a lot of internet business that actively promote their shops and wines this way. Depending on what you are looking for, inexpensive wines, notification of tastings, collector's wines, etc. you can always find a large number of e-mail lists to join. In addition, many wineries do the same thing. So, just go to the website of the shop that interests you and see if they have a way to sign up for a list. Good guess is that if they ask you for an e-mail address, they have a list.

One I like from NJ is http://www.sherry-lehmann.com/

Sherry Lehman is mid town Manhattan.

You are right. I've never been there, just ordered from them a couple of times. The last time my wine came the box had a NJ address, but that was probably the shipper, not the store. But I do get an e-mail from them about twice a week.

Lists I am on ---

Radio Coteau

Kosta Browne

Rivers Marie

Bressler

Match

Peay

Kosta Browne

I am on the list and have not ordered recently, but have not been dropped yet --

Loring

I piggyback orders with dinwiddie, other DC Cr� members or other winos I know from these --

Kistler (sometimes)

WesMar

A Donkey and Goat

Aubert

Dehlinger

Dain

Martinelli (their minimums are kind of high too)

What a difference a few years makes....!

I currently only buy from the following lists with any regularity -

Match

Bressler

Peay

Littorai

What a difference a few years makes....!

I currently only buy from the following lists with any regularity -

Match

Bressler

Peay

Littorai

You know that Match is closing, right?

Anyway, I've consolidated my lists, so now just multiple case buys per year from the following:

Copain

Littorai

Radio Coteau (solely Las Colinas and La Neblina - don't find their single vineyards to have the sense of place that, say, Wells's do)

Realm

RdV (though not technically an email list)

You know that Match is closing, right?

Anyway, I've consolidated my lists, so now just multiple case buys per year from the following:

Copain

Littorai

Radio Coteau (solely Las Colinas and La Neblina - don't find their single vineyards to have the sense of place that, say, Wells's do)

Realm

RdV (though not technically an email list)

WHAT?! Really? No! What's your source of info?

Well man, that is too bad. Randy's a great guy and I wish him well, I wonder if there is still any wine left to buy. I placed an order successfully just now, but I wonder if it is all gone now.

Agreed. There is still wine to buy - if it's on the website, it should be available.

I generally only join lists where I've been to the winery (or tasting room in Kistler's case) and know the wines that are being offered.

While I'm currently on the Kistler list, I expect to be dropped since I rarely buy.

I buy occasionally from Paul Hobbs

I buy most often from Nickel & Nickel, Caldwell and Vincent Arroyo.  (Yes Mark Slater...there's a lot of your influence on that list)