Cadbury

Cathal Armstrong

For what it's worth, at least some of the merch (what the original post was referring to) is definitely British...they have cadbury flake bars, which are British. I didn't study the rest of the offerings, but decent odds British stuff is at least a substantial portion, if not all.

Does British candy get angry if you call it Irish?

For what it's worth Cadbury has factories in the US and England and Ireland among others. Their best chocolate is made in Ireland and no, british candy does not get angry when it is called irish because they were not occupied by the irish for 600 years. You asked....

For what it's worth Cadbury has factories in the US and England and Ireland among others. Their best chocolate is made in Ireland and no, british candy does not get angry when it is called irish because they were not occupied by the irish for 600 years. You asked....
Cadbury is a British company founded in the 1800's in Birmingham, England. It is now a subsidiary of CadburrySchweppes which does have production facilities all over the world. Their best chocolate (imho) product is manufactured in England. At places like CVS, the Cadbury bars are marketed (if not manufactured) by an American subsidiary. However, I know it is possible to import product manufactured in England directly to the US (as they do at the little place in Clarendon).

Does Eamonn's import their Cadbury product from Ireland? Regardless, Cadbury is a British Company.

Though I think a fried Crunchie Bar would be devine. Deadly, but devine...

Nice. Yea, I was going off the fact that the company was started in Birmingham, in Britain...I see now that they have a pretty substantial factory in Ireland, among others. Cathal....now that wouldn't be an Irish name, now would it? :)

well IMHO the best Cadburys is manufactured in Ireland, but its what I grew up with so its not too surprising :)

Different HOs are what make this site so interesting anyway

BUT Irish Cadburys and English Cadburys IS different, just as US Cadburys is also different (and very very yucky)......the recipe in Ireland is different because we never liked the English recipe.....burn everything British except their coal.......

and certain Cadbury products (e.g., the Moro bar) are ONLY made in Ireland.....now a fried Moro bar, that would be something

[quote name='brr' date='Sep 11 2006, 11:01 PM' post='51475'

Different HOs are what make this site so interesting anyway

BUT Irish Cadburys and English Cadburys IS different, just as US Cadburys is also different (and very very yucky)......the recipe in Ireland is different because we never liked the English recipe.....burn everything British except their coal.......

I grew up with a mom who had a preference for a particular flavor Cadbury bar. She swore she could tell the difference between the British version and the US version when it was launched. Me, not so much...

Now, what I want to know is the story about KitKat... why are the British and US versions different? I don't think a fried kitkat would be very good.

I also want to taste test an Irish Crunchie Bar because the British one is really really good...

I first had a Cadbury bar when I lived in Germany in the 1960s (it soared in popularity when Ian Fleming's James Bond novels became well-known--thanks to JKF's fondness for them--Bond loved Cadbury's). The stuff made here just can't compare. Americans seem to like their chocolate a whole lot sweeter than what is typical for Europe. I noticed the change when Godiva was bought out by the Campbell Soup company. Now you know why I make my own truffles or seek out the European stuff.

This is a good book on US chocolate... ]Emperors of Chocolate

I actually am interested in Cadbury... and a taste test of Irish versions...

(By the way, for those that have been to the place in Clarendon... I am now curious about some of the bars which carry what appears to be Arabic script... wonder if some of them are sourced from Arab speaking countries????)

(By the way, for those that have been to the place in Clarendon... I am now curious about some of the bars which carry what appears to be Arabic script... wonder if some of them are sourced from Arab speaking countries????)

based on a review of the current cadbury inventory in my house, the Moro's, Twirls, Time Outs, Dairy Milks and Golden Crisps are all made in Ireland (Coolock, to be precise).....and the Time Outs have Arabic script on them which may be they are marketed, but not made in the Arab World.....I need to get a life and go to bed

I like chocolate, but British teeth give me the willies.

The Belgians and Swiss make fine chocolates, even if their citizens are clinically known to be slow witted.

Sometimes I wish I had lobster claws made out of chocolate instead of hands so I could eat them and then they would grow back and I could eat them again. I just hope they don't lose their temper if I get nervous and melt when I shake hands with celebrities. That would be embarrassing.

Ever since this incident you've taken every opportunity you can find to go out of your way to say something negative about Restaurant Eve, its proprietors and their efforts. Most recently here. Your animus is obvious. Are you in the pay of some competitor?
For what it's worth Cadbury has factories in the US and England and Ireland among others. Their best chocolate is made in Ireland . . .
mmm...Dairy Milk! From Business2000:
Cadbury Ireland has been in production since 1932, with production plants in Coolock, Dun Laoghaire in Dublin and Rathmore, Co. Kerry. . . . More than 200 products are exported from Ireland to 30 countries. Cadbury Ireland uses local ingredients and is one of the largest users of indigenous Irish materials. Using local produce is a major factor in creating the legendary taste of Cadbury Ireland's products.

Get some here

I just got back from Canada and we stocked up on the individual bite-size bags of Cadbury chocolates. It's been awhile since I had the real UK stuff but there is definitely a difference between the US and Canadian versions. I had "heard" that Canadian chocolate must have a higher percentage of cocoa butter in it. Not sure if that's true but Canadian chocolate definitely has a more velvet-like feel on the tongue and much richer flavour.

I've seen websites that import Canadian brands into the States (it's amazing what we'll get homesick for - and it's not just Molsons and Hockey Night in Canada). Some googling might help you find order the good stuff online.

I also stocked up during a recent visit to Canada. Mr. BLB adores Coffee Crisps (I think they are awful) so not only did I ship so back from Buffalo when I had to go across the border mid-trip, I brought back several more pounds in my luggage...

I have no great fondness for the Cadbury's but I really like the dark chocolate Areo's and Canada has the most interesting selection of Kit Kats.

Not to mention the Maynard Wine Gums which I think are dreadful but have a large following stateside...

Jennifer

It sounds like Mr. BLB will be happy to know that Coffee Crisp is now available in the US. We noticed it yesterday in Buffalo And then I find this. http://coffeecrisp.org/

Apparently there are several stores in the VA/MD area that are selling them now.

If you don't want to look for them, here's an online place to get candies/chocolate from all over the world.

http://www.candyshoppe.ca/shop/idx1.htm

The internet really is such a strange place :)

It sounds like Mr. BLB will be happy to know that Coffee Crisp is now available in the US. We noticed it yesterday in Buffalo And then I find this. http://coffeecrisp.org/

Apparently there are several stores in the VA/MD area that are selling them now.

If you don't want to look for them, here's an online place to get candies/chocolate from all over the world.

http://www.candyshoppe.ca/shop/idx1.htm

The internet really is such a strange place :)

I don't know that I want him to know they are easier to get. They might lose their allure as a special treat. I had meant to look for them when I was in NYC last year and completely forgot.

There was a wonderful time when I could pick up a cadbury flake from the british grocery in clarendon and then walk across the street to the lazy sundae to jam it up to the flaky hilt in whatever scoop of deliciousness was available, like I used to get from street vendors in England.

That time has passed.

Also, I need to try an Irish flake now.

based on a review of the current cadbury inventory in my house
I drop by Rodman's for UK candy after dentist appointments (getting my parking validated). but have no home inventory to check their source (long term survival is rare in my care). I'll look closer next time. By the way - there's a UK bar with a skyline that looks like NYC on the wrapper - does anyone know its name?

I remember English guests shocked to see a Twinings tea in my pantry that they'd never seen before -- Irish Breakfast. They promptly bought several boxes to take home...

I have no home inventory to check their source (long term survival is rare in my care). I'll look closer next time.

I have the strategic advantage of two beautiful kids and grandparents in Ireland who are highly motivated to see them!! So at least 3 or 4 times a year my folks arrive with (i kid you not) an entire suitcase (sometimes more) full of chocolate (and Lyons tea) :)

This is probably a Boston thing, but the supermarkets here usually have an "Irish" section in their ethnic foods aisle stocked with good stuff like imported choccies, proper tea, Jaffa Cakes and treacle puddings -- as well as some of the more unfortunate tastes of the Old Country, like (shudder) salad cream.

The NYTimes recently published a piece entitled: "The World's Best Candy Bars? English, of Course"

It's a different bar from the Cadbury bar available in the United States. According to the label, a British Cadbury Dairy Milk bar contains milk, sugar, cocoa mass, cocoa butter, vegetable fat and emulsifiers. The version made by the Hershey Company, which holds the license from Cadbury-Schweppes to produce the candy in the United States under the British company's direction, starts its ingredient list with sugar. It lists lactose and the emulsifier soy lecithin, which keeps the cocoa butter from separating from the cocoa. The American product also lists "natural and artificial flavorings."

Tony Bilsborough, a spokesman for Cadbury-Schweppes in Britain, said his company ships its specially formulated chocolate crumb — a mash of dried milk and chocolate to which cocoa butter will be added later — to Hershey, Pa. What happens next accounts for the differences.

<snip>

"You get in these religious arguments with people," he said. "I haven't met a Canadian who likes a Hershey bar, but Americans think you're crazy when you say that, because they think everyone loves a Hershey bar."