Vegan in Northern Virginia

John William G

Woodlands. If your friend isn't from a large city, and doesn't mind Southern Indian cuisine, the buffet here (especially on weekends, but on weekdays too) may be revelatory. The made-to-order items are perhaps better still, but the buffet here is genuinely interesting. Fair warning: It gets *packed* on weekends, so go at opening time.

My vegan sister-in-law has dined happily at the Crystal City Jaleo as well as Founding Farmers, which has a dedicated veg/vegan menu section and kitchen area (so they claim). She proclaimed the vegan burger at FF the best she has ever had. Vegetarian Ethiopian is usually cooked vegan and there are a couple of good Ethiopian places in N. Va.

My vegan sister-in-law has dined happily at the Crystal City Jaleo as well as Founding Farmers, which has a dedicated veg/vegan menu section and kitchen area (so they claim). She proclaimed the vegan burger at FF the best she has ever had. Vegetarian Ethiopian is usually cooked vegan and there are a couple of good Ethiopian places in N. Va.

Yes, Jaleo has some vegan options (Founding Farmers has a Meatless Section, but it doesn't say that it's vegan). I had lunch at Meaza two weeks ago, and it's still really good, and then there's "The" Ethiopian strip in Bailey's Crossroads, just to the west of Route 7 on S. George Mason Drive (by Skyline). Interestingly, one of the markets there - Showa Baltna Market - has a *fantastic* selection of organic Amish honey.

(*) No guarantees once they get the 3-D Printer Food rolling off the assembly line.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I've eaten at Jaleo several times, but for some reason didn't think of it when looking for vegan dishes.  I'll have to pay more attention next time I visit.

As for Woodlands, I've never eaten there, but I intend to give it a visit in the next week or two.

Again, thanks for the suggestions.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I've eaten at Jaleo several times, but for some reason didn't think of it when looking for vegan dishes.  I'll have to pay more attention next time I visit.

As for Woodlands, I've never eaten there, but I intend to give it a visit in the next week or two.

Again, thanks for the suggestions.

Four words for Woodlands (if you don't get the buffet): Special Rava Masala Dosa.

We went to Woodlands.  They do have a very large selection of vegan dishes.  My wife ordered Chole Batura (which looked like Peter Chang's scallion bubble pancakes when it came out); she thought it was very good.  I wanted to try the Special Rava Masala Dosa, which was not on their menu.  I asked the waitress, and she said yes she would get it for me.  I don't know if that is what I was served or not (the bill said I had "Onion Rawa Masala Dosa), but whatever it was, it was very good.  I will definitely take my vegan friends there the next time they are in town.

• Like 1

We went to Woodlands.  They do have a very large selection of vegan dishes.  My wife ordered Chole Batura (which looked like Peter Chang's scallion bubble pancakes when it came out); she thought it was very good.  I wanted to try the Special Rava Masala Dosa, which was not on their menu.  I asked the waitress, and she said yes she would get it for me.  I don't know if that is what I was served or not (the bill said I had "Onion Rawa Masala Dosa), but whatever it was, it was very good.  I will definitely take my vegan friends there the next time they are in town.

Yes, it's the same thing.