Sol y Mar, Pan-Latino in Wheaton - On Price Avenue in the Former Royal Mile Pub Space - Closed

2 hours ago, dracisk said:

I'm not sure when Sol y Mar closed, but Gisele's Creole Cuisine, a Haitian place, has apparently opened in the Royal Mile space per Robert Dyer's blog.

Robert has been looking at Yelp too much - it's "Sol y Mar," not "Sole E Mare." I didn't even know he had an eastmoco.blogspot.com blog until I read your post.

Thanks for posting this, dracisk - I had no idea it had closed. but I think Sol y Mar was still open during 2017.

BTW, it might have had a 20902 zip code, but calling this "Silver Spring" is stretching the limits of reality - I just can't imagine this as anything but Wheaton, but Silver Spring is an amorphous blob not unlike Muk.

12 hours ago, DonRocks said:

BTW, it might have had a 20902 zip code, but calling this "Silver Spring" is stretching the limits of reality - I just can't imagine this as anything but Wheaton

As the kids would say, that's Wheaton af

• Haha 1

To me, at least, Wheaton has always started at Plyers Mill to the south. Below that is generic Silver Spring (Forest Glen, etc). But everything is a guessing game in lower Montgomery unless you live in actual towns like Kensington or Takoma Park. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Robert has been looking at Yelp too much - it's "Sol y Mar," not "Sole E Mare." I didn't even know he had an eastmoco.blogspot.com blog until I read your post.

Thanks for posting this, dracisk - I had no idea it had closed. but I think Sol y Mar was still open during 2017.

BTW, it might have had a 20902 zip code, but calling this "Silver Spring" is stretching the limits of reality - I just can't imagine this as anything but Wheaton, but Silver Spring is an amorphous blob not unlike Muk.

After one of my many visits to the Limerick Pub (I don’t recall when-maybe last year), I noticed that Sol y Mar had changed its name to Sole e Mare (see Facebook account).  They switched to an Italian menu that was too pricey for me so I never ate there.  I remember thinking that it wasn’t a good sign. 

Speaking of curious switches, there was a very good Central American restaurant next to the county parking lot near Sol y Mar/Sole e Mare that was called “Pupuseria y Taqueria Rios”.  Todd Kliman really liked it and we did too.  It closed and now is called Suya Master”, offering African and Spanish cuisine.  I’ve read that suya is a Nigerian kabob.  From what I can tell, the Spanish dishes are primarily Central American (pupusas, etc.).  There’s an Ethiopian restaurant a couple of doors up from there. 

Metropolitan Wheaton has changed a lot since I was growing up in Kemp Mill (Silver Spring, though serviced out of the Wheaton Post Office) in the 70s.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SilverBullitt said:

Metropolitan Wheaton has changed a lot since I was growing up in Kemp Mill (Silver Spring, though serviced out of the Wheaton Post Office) in the 70s.

I was going to mention the same thing - depending on the post office that services the area, it will either be Silver Spring or Wheaton. And the Amherst Ave post office has a Silver Spring, not Wheaton, address, which is most likely the post office that services that restaurant. (I also grew up in Kemp Mill. And came back to care for the 'rents so still living there...with a Silver Spring address!)