MELT - Gourmet Cheeseburgers in Leesburg, Virginia

So the burger competition has not ceased - and adding MELT to the mix is only helping the cause.  Small nondescript storefront in a strip mall off Route 7 on the outskirts of downtown Leesburg, just behind Starbucks.  Have been here several times, but most recently today for lunch, it will not disappoint.  Service with a smile and open kitchen so you can observe as they cook your meal, made-to-order.  Seating is limited only because the place is consistently busy.  Check out their menu, rolls/buns baked in house twice daily.  If you go hungry you will not leave hungry and the toppings are interesting and encourages on to be adventurous.

Piling on to this burger post seems appropriate.  Melt is top notch.  I'm lucky to have a son living in Sterling so it is never a problem getting a burger buddy.

Reasons to go back or to make the trip?

Burger of the month - this month with scrapple!
The shakes are among the best.
Great onion rings with a balsamic reduction plus other great sides.
A huge beer collection.
Wonderful owners and an obviously happy staff.

You should check out the accolades on the website.  The website says it all except it modestly leaves out that the "tips" they get go to the local SPCA.

Go and enjoy.  It is tiny so take your patience as well as your appetite....

Funny, I went here for the first time ever on Sunday evening.  Great burger and great small business.  I had only a burger with pepper jack cheese and roasted green chilies, and a beer, and left stuffed.  I am not sure it is the best burger in and around town, but it is up there!

I went to MELT yesterday for the first time, and the cheeseburger (cheddar, not American) was about as good as any I've ever eaten (*). This must be an eight-ounce patty, the equal of Ray's Hell Burger (both of these establishments served up hamburger patties that tasted "beefier than beef"), but the buns, sides, and prices elevate it even beyond Ray's. If there's a better burger in the DC area right now, I'd like to know what it is. It was packed mid-afternoon on a Sunday, and worth the wait. It's not possible to make a high-volume hamburger any better than this.

—-

(*) Contenders that I can remember from this area (**): an absolutely perfect burger Peter Smith made at PS7, the cheeseburgers at Palena (consistently great), and the first time I ordered one (carryout) from Little Pearl which settled into total harmony by the time I got home.

(**) Distant-memory (30+ years), distal burgers include Big Nick’s Burger Joint (Upper West Side), Mo Better Meaty Meat (Los Angeles), and Duane’s Ono-Char Burger (Kaua’i), but I just can’t be sure how good they actually were.

• Like 2

>>"If there's a better burger in the DC area right now, I'd like to know what it is."

Don...thanks for writing that. I've been preaching Melt for about 10 years.

The people that know, know. 

Everyone else looks at me and says "The best burger is in Leesburg?" like that couldn't possibly be true. 

We live about 30 minutes away and only get there about 4 times a year. 

But man are those burgers good; especially the buns. 

I also love that the "tip" line is a donation to an animal rescue group. 

One thing; several years ago, the owners were talking about opening a location inside the beltway but I haven't heard a word since then. Anybody?

cheers

bz

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Example number 1,000,000 of why this community is invaluable. Was in Leesburg for my sons hockey game at ION, and after a tough loss he didn’t want our usual postgame Leesburg/ Ashburn meal at Ah So.

Remembering MELT from the posts this week we headed over. Fantastic. Excellent burgers, cooked to order on a freshly baked roll (reminiscent of when Miami Subs was a chain and served freshly baked rolls for their burgers). Massive portions of fries (the poutine fries were great, if salty), and milkshakes/ floats. All left happy. Miraculous that we found seats at 5:15. Best burger in recent memory - easily one of the area’s best. 

• Like 7