Sign in to follow this  
DonRocks

In Honor of Herschel Browne

I'm so very sorry to say that Herschel Browne - our own, irreplaceable The Hersch - member #248 - who has regaled us with his extraordinary intelligence and acerbic wit since May 25, 2005 - passed away tonight after a year-long struggle with liver disease.

This evening, I'm in Baltimore helping another friend with medical issues, so I'll write more tomorrow, Tuesday - and because of these circumstances, I won't be able to take the community offline tomorrow - but we will be offline on Wednesday for one hour, 12-1 PM.

Kind regards,
Don

---

PS - Please look out for a potential new member: Ed Mulrenin, who was Herschel's guardian angel when he was getting towards the end. Ed is a hero, and needs to be recognized as such.

Poor Herschel - he didn't ask for any of this. Maybe he should have taken better care of himself, but nobody asks for this. :(

Nobody solved Herschel's Jun 13th History Problem - nobody had a chance, and he knew it, but he'd like it the most if we all gave it a shot. The bastard slipped in one, impossible challenge, just before he left us. He was kind enough to send me the real answers, which I'll publish in his name - but people should really try to answer it first - I can "play Herschel," and do the best I can to guide you.

I'd say that a lot of intelligence and education died with Herschel, but the truth is that much of it can found right here. Gosh, he was argumentative, and I never had much of anything to say that would quiet him down - mainly because he *always* had something else to enlighten me with. His and my discussions were classic examples of what I value most in this community: discussing to learn; not arguing to win. He knew this; yet, he discussed things at such a high level, that it was a constant challenge just trying to keep up with this brilliant, worldly man.

What a loss - what a horrible loss for us all.

• Sad 8

Sending positive vibes to his family and loved ones on his loss.  He was a great member here and will be missed.

• Like 2

On 7/10/2018 at 1:37 PM, ktmoomau said:

Sending positive vibes to his family and loved ones on his loss.  He was a great member here and will be missed.

Indeed.