Scotts, British Restaurant and Bar - Chef Will Artley Is Back to Lead the "US Flagship" in Penn Quarter - Closed

http://www.scottsrestaurants.com
927 F Street NW

Opened mid-November. I love the concept but it's certainly one that's had a bunch of failures in the past around here. Commonwealth from Jamie Leeds came and went. And British feel with Scotch club and eyes on rapid expansion didn't work out too well for Againn. 

Inside Penn Quarter’s Cozy Newcomer, Scotts Restaurant and Bar (Eater DC, Nov 14, 2018; Tierney Plumb)

A British invasion in Washington, with meat trolleys, Scotch eggs and more (Washington Post, Dec 7, 2018; Tom Sietsema, First Bite)

• Like 1

I hope this place does well--I really do--but I'm just kind of mystified by the menu.  It's not very English (a side of mushy peas and a scotch egg make not a pub)...but it's not very much of anything.  Perhaps the most English thing about Scotts is that it's the restaurant version of the aliens from Doctor Who called The Silence ("Anyone who sees them immediately forgets about them after looking away").  

I eat in this neighborhood all of the time--multiple meals every week--but unless their menu changes I doubt I'll ever step foot inside.  Not counting sides of vegetables, I see three vegetarian options: an order of nuts; avocado toast (?); and an endive salad.  If their menu is going to be this lazy, I'll be just as lazy and not walk the 100 feet past The Smith to get to Scotts.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2018 at 5:09 PM, washingtony said:

I hope this place does well--I really do--but I'm just kind of mystified by the menu.  It's not very English (a side of mushy peas and a scotch egg make not a pub)...but it's not very much of anything.  Perhaps the most English thing about Scotts is that it's the restaurant version of the aliens from Doctor Who called The Silence ("Anyone who sees them immediately forgets about them after looking away").

One thing I learned from Andy Hayler is to term these restaurants "British," not "English."

Of note: I don't think this is the famous "Scott's" [note the apostrophe] seafood restaurant in Mayfair, which is run by Richard Caring, and is a showplace for celebrities:

"The Restaurant for Show-Offs! It's the L100 a Head Mayfair Eaterie where Celebs Go when They WANT To Be Seen ...." by Alison Boshoff on dailymail.co.uk

There could be a potential legal showdown in London because of this.

We went last week and really enjoyed ourselves. The owner (Simon) and GM (Jesse) both came by our table and chatted with us. Service was friendly, prompt and attentive but not overbearing.

My wife & I both had the Trolley Roast (it was pork that night) with Mushy Peas, Mashed Potatoes, Brussels Sprouts & Wild Mushrooms. The mushy peas were seriously delicious - I couldn't get enough of them - and was tempted to ask for more.

Jesse also gave us a tour of the private club that's attached to the restaurant. Whisky aficionados will definitely want to check it out.

• Like 1

Just now, brian said:

the restaurants with the highest failure rate are the ones where the owner talks about expansion plans before the first is on its feet

Thank you.

I'll add that the restaurants with the lowest failure rate are the ones who conceal their ambitions - shall I name names?

25 minutes ago, reedm said:

Yes. Why not?

Do a search on the best chefs who have had three-or-more restaurant positions in the past five years - that will be a good start (I haven't done this, but it would confirm a hypothesis of mine).