I Forgot To Plan My Boss's Retirement Party, One Week from Now

gena712

Time slipped up on me and I forgot to set up a retirement lunch for my boss. Despite my procrastination, I really would like for it to be nice. 

The celebration would likely be during lunch on July 31. The parameters (in order of priority) would be:

• Allows a group of about 30 to have separate checks
  • Nice, but reasonably priced (some of my coworkers are notoriously cheap 🤥)
  • Private area/room
  • Near L'Enfant Plaza (walking distance or within 1-2 Metro stops)

Any suggestions?  Thank you for your help!

On 7/24/2019 at 10:24 AM, gena712 said:

Time slipped up on me and I forgot to set up a retirement lunch for my boss. Despite my procrastination, I really would like for it to be nice. 

The celebration would likely be during lunch on July 31. The parameters (in order of priority) would be:

• Allows a group of about 30 to have separate checks

Oh my God - 30 separate checks and notoriously cheap coworkers!?!?!? Best of luck.

Seriously, how about Masala Art? Mi Vida?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Keithstg said:

Oh my God - 30 separate checks and notoriously cheap coworkers!?!?!? Best of luck.

No - but seriously - please take one check and split it yourselves.  At a low price point, 30 separate checks are going to take this from low-margin to near money losing for a restaurant given the private room.  Credit cards charge a flat fee plus a percentage. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, zgast said:

No - but seriously - please take one check and split it yourselves.  At a low price point, 30 separate checks are going to take this from low-margin to near money losing for a restaurant given the private room.  Credit cards charge a flat fee plus a percentage. 

Well said. There is a free app called Splitwise that will easily split a check any number of ways. May prove useful in this instance.

On 7/26/2019 at 8:21 AM, Keithstg said:

gena712, I know this is coming as a bomb-drop, but splitting a check 30-ways within a restaurant is taboo - you had no way to know this, of course, but please just take it as gospel that it is wrong in every possible way. 

Sometimes, you need to hear something explained one time before you understand it - you were perfectly justified in asking this question, and if you still don't understand the "why," I hope you at least understand the "if." Please feel free to write me privately, and we can discuss this.

Thank you for posing your question here, and please let us know how things work out.

Kind regards,
Rocks