Weenie Beenie, Hot Dog Stand in Shirlington

I searched but I didn't find a thread about Weenie Beenie.... which is surprising, but it may very well be that I am search-stupid.

Living right next to Ben's Chili Bowl and now having tried Weenie Beenie, I can say that Ben's Chili Bowl comes out as the clear victor in the "who-makes-the-best-half-smoke" contest in my mind. While Weenie Beenie also splits and fries the half-smokes like Ben's, it's not the same. WB's half-smokes still lack the flavor of Ben's (although they are probably cooking the same sausage). The chili, even though it's of questionable origin and content at Ben's, is much better than WB's. The fries were ok at WB's- they are battered steak fries straight out of a plastic bag. I've only had the half-smokes at Weenie Beenie, so can't comment on any of the other sandwiches.

Anyone else? Is there something else I should eat there?

ETA: added link to location

Where is WB? Is there a link? Never heard of the place

I searched but I didn't find a thread about Weenie Beenie.... which is surprising, but it may very well be that I am search-stupid.

Living right next to Ben's Chili Bowl and now having tried Weenie Beenie, I can say that Ben's Chili Bowl comes out as the clear victor in the "who-makes-the-best-half-smoke" contest in my mind. While Weenie Beenie also splits and fries the half-smokes like Ben's, it's not the same. WB's half-smokes still lack the flavor of Ben's (although they are probably cooking the same sausage). The chili, even though it's of questionable origin and content at Ben's, is much better than WB's. The fries were ok at WB's- they are battered steak fries straight out of a plastic bag. I've only had the half-smokes at Weenie Beenie, so can't comment on any of the other sandwiches.

It is in Shirlington (on the corner of Shrlington and 4 Mile Run).

I eat at Weenie Beenie about once a month, but I would not call it a destination, more like a decent place to grab a quick lunch if you are in the neighborhood.

ETA: added link to location

You should try the Weenie-Beenie's North Carolina barbecue sandwich. It's a very respectable facsimile of eastern NC barbecue (complete with little packets of Texas Pete hot sauce, which is actually made in Winston-Salem).

Here's a nice pic of the W-B: http://www.flickr.com/photos/48600084074@N01/75002206/

and even better, here's the obit for the man behind the Weenie-Beenie. Looks like he was quite a character. http://www.onepocket.org/StatonObituary.htm

Weenie Beenie is an institution venerable for its longevity if not its cuisine. It would belong on the "oldest restaurants" thread if it were actually a restaurant. It's been dishing up the half-smokes and what not since the early 1960s.

You should try the Weenie-Beenie's North Carolina barbecue sandwich. It's a very respectable facsimile of eastern NC barbecue (complete with little packets of Texas Pete hot sauce, which is actually made in Winston-Salem).
Ditto on the barbecue sandwich, though I like to add the coleslaw along w/ the Texas Pete.

Ditto on the barbecue sandwich, though I like to add the coleslaw along w/ the Texas Pete.

yes, putting the slaw on the sandwich is the way to go. The W-B slaw isn't the finely chopped mustard slaw you'd get in Eastern NC cue joints, but it still belongs on the sandwich.

I haven't actually ever eaten there, but a friend who has a business on Four Mile Run always recommended their chicken sandwiches. Might have to make a run from Bailey's Crossroads for lunch one of these days. If anyone wants to join me, I'd welcome company. Might be best to wait for warmer weather though - there's no seating of any kind (indoors or out).

Having spent a lot of time driving past WB on the way to the Signature, I decided to give it a try on my way to Dino from Restaurant Depot. I ordered a half smoke and a NC prok sandwich. WHiel it fufilled my severe junk food jones all right, neithre was earthshattering junk food. The half smpke was fried so it had a tough skin. Not much flavor but OK. The pulled pork was pretty moist but at a cost of smokey flavor. The mustardy slaw made for a nice contrast. Not bad, but not worth going out of the way for.

Between Weenie Beenie opening at 6 AM, and Champion Billiards Cafe closing at 2 AM, Shirlington has nearly the entire day covered.

A Half Smoke & Egg Sandwich ($3.29) had two eggs, cracked on the griddle, immediately broken with the spatula, and fried into leather. Slapped onto barely toasted white bread, mercifully with no spread on it, the centerpiece of the sandwich was a thick-skinned halfsmoke, split along the length. I could not justify the thirty-cent supplement for fromage Americain.

Once in awhile I'll throw out a term like "bowling alley fries," but in this case, a large order ($1.79) truly WAS that bad. Wedges of potato, deep, deep, deep fried, and sitting out under a heat lamp - the interior had the consistency of mashed potatoes.

My favorite part of the meal? The little bird that sat on my driver's-side mirror and kept me company. :mellow:

Cheers,

Rocks.

Once in awhile I'll throw out a term like "bowling alley fries," but in this case, a large order ($1.79) truly WAS that bad. Wedges of potato, deep, deep, deep fried, and sitting out under a heat lamp - the interior had the consistency of mashed potatoes.

As a college student, I used to LOVE the fries at the Valley Lanes in Harrisonburg, VA. So crunchy and peppery. I guess not all bowling alley fries are alike.