2 hours ago, Keithstg said:

Seems like the “bs fee” was well explained, begging the question - do you dislike Rose’s, or the legislation? If the former, all good. If the latter, that’s the new cost of doing business in the district.

I was at Albi this week, and they have the same fee.

13 hours ago, DonRocks said:

I was at Albi this week, and they have the same fee.

Precisely. Always find it interesting that some will beat the drum for higher wages but expect a business owner not to pass along increased costs to customers. I’m all for higher wages, and recognize I’ll see those costs in the bill. Makes sense, as opposed to:

How dare you not pay x wage!??

How dare you charge me a fee, or raise prices to reflect changing business conditions!?

smh

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

If they're paying a higher wage, then the tipping percent should go down, no?  I'm okay with a higher minimum wage but not another disguised transfer of wealth (actually, who am I kidding, I hate the minimum wage and unions).

Thank you for perfectly illustrating why the new initiative was so important.  Far too many people are happy to exploit restaurant workers in order to save a few bucks on their bill. 

While the initiative phases in, I believe servers are now getting $2 an hour more, or about $16 a day. If you want to tip less in response, that’s your right. 

• Like 1

D.C. voters overwhelmingly approved a law Tuesday phasing out the tipped minimum wage by 2027. The multi-year effort by labor groups to end businesses’ reliance on patrons’ tips to compensate workers prevailed, despite major pushback from the local restaurant industry.

The measure’s success also comes four years after the passage of a nearly identical initiative and its subsequent overturn by the D.C. Council.

With 69% of precincts reporting around 10:50 p.m., more than 74% of voters supported Initiative 82, while nearly 26% decided against it, according to the Associated Press.

The vote fundamentally changes the way employers pay their tipped workers.

Currently, employers can pay their tipped workers a subminimum wage of $5.35 per hour, with the expectation that customers will get their workers’ total earnings to the full minimum wage of $16.10. If tips do not, then employers by law have to make up the difference.

But starting next year, when the initiative kicks in, the tipped minimum wage of $5.35 is required to increase by a dollar or two every year until it is equal to the full minimum wage. By 2027, employers can no longer rely on gratuity but have to pay all their workers the full prevailing minimum wage, which is based on inflation.

The initiative does not outlaw tipping. However, many owners will likely consider adding a service charge to reduce the effects of Initiative 82. Unlike tips, that service charge goes directly to employers, who can use the money as they wish. Some tipped workers have pushed back against service charges because they say patrons are less likely to tip on top of an automatic percentage upcharge to the total bill.

“Initiative 82 was not supported by tipped employees or restaurant owners and operators,” Julie Sproesser, the Interim Executive Director of the Restaurant Association of Metropolitan Washington, said in a statement after results were called. (Some bartenders and other service workers who spoke with WAMU/DCist about the measure were in favor of it). “We are disappointed with its passage and the new reality that awaits our vibrant industry during a time of already challenging economic recovery. This measure will disrupt our city’s hundreds of small and independently owned restaurants and limit the earning potential of tipped employees, while also having regional repercussions.”

https://dcist.com/story/22/11/08/initiative-82-approved/

It's a complicated issue.  But it's perfectly okay to characterize people who oppose the minimum wage as exploitative.

I'm fully in favor of a no tipping model where the price is all inclusive.  If that means a minimum wage - that's fine with me.  I hate these layers of fees and optional tipping.

20 hours ago, mtureck said:

Thank you for perfectly illustrating why the new initiative was so important.  Far too many people are happy to exploit restaurant workers in order to save a few bucks on their bill. 

While the initiative phases in, I believe servers are now getting $2 an hour more, or about $16 a day. If you want to tip less in response, that’s your right. 

The mechanics of the change are that the owner's direct share goes up by $2 per hour.  Any tips are above and beyond that share.  In circumstances where tips are insufficient to cover the minimum wage, the owner is responsible (then and now) for covering the difference.

I agree with Eric that this change will require a fundamental rethink of how restaurant employees are paid - you can't just layer tipping on top of a system where base pay increases 3x.  I'd be happy to move to a system where all restaurant employees (front and back of house) are paid professional wages and those costs are on the menu in the prices.

I have no idea how they work the salary structure at 2 Amys, but they dropped tipping last year.  You get the check, you pay the price listed, and you are done.  No add on fees, no additional tip lines.

2 Amys continues to be busy (as far as I can tell) 

• Like 3

Or, government can provide basic work/life benefits (healthcare, higher education & childcare being the most onerous) so that employees don't need more cash in pocket at the end of the week.

It appears to work in more developed European countries with faster internet and more efficient indoor plumbing which still have a robust hospitality industry where tipping is a welcome but curious bonus.

Relying on a customer's charitable mood to fulfill an unwritten paycheck subsidy in the 21st century in the wealthiest country in the galaxy is the height of absurdity.  

• Like 6