RIP Joe “Joe H” Heflin (1947-2023)

ol_ironstomach

Word has arrived via @crackers that our own @Joe H passed away in early September after a brief illness.  No further details are available.

On this Board, Joe’s appetites and resultant opinions were legendary, particularly regarding Michelin-starred restaurants (often facilitated by his highly unusual vocation), strict adherence to risotto recipes as written, and for big, chewy, mouth-coating bottles of Amarone.  Those threads are worth revisiting in his memory.

• Like 3
  • Sad 10

I'm really going to miss this man. His 2004 (pre-dr.com) blowout dinner at Maestro, when Fabio Trabocchi was still an actual chef, helming an actual kitchen, was one of my first high-end dining experiences, and remains one of the most memorable, for many reasons.

He was a true chowhound, a most gracious host, a fabulous home cook, and a caring and kind friend. Joe H hosting Maestro blowout dinner. 2004.

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

On 11/25/2023 at 8:43 PM, ol_ironstomach said:

Word has arrived via @crackers that our own @Joe H passed away in early September after a brief illness.  No further details are available.

On this Board, Joe’s appetites and resultant opinions were legendary, particularly regarding Michelin-starred restaurants (often facilitated by his highly unusual vocation), strict adherence to risotto recipes as written, and for big, chewy, mouth-coating bottles of Amarone.  Those threads are worth revisiting in his memory.

This sucks! A first class gentleman if there ever was one. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, lion said:

Sorry to hear about Joe's passing. Always enjoyed his postings and fiery opinions.

Me too. I ran into Joe a few times in real life (at Central, Rogue 24 and a few other places) over the years. I hope that heaven is very real, as he would say, and that Joe's version is filled with mouthcoating  red wines served in fishbowl sized glasses.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

The first time I truly remember meeting Joe was when he organized his first blowout dinner at Laboratorio.  30-some foodies all getting together to dine together, many had never met before.     

I seem to recall that the staff at Laboratorio didn't really know who we were or what the food board scene was all about.  At the end of the night they told us that we had drank the most wine of any group they had hosted. 

I know that Joe could at times be a polarizing guy...he was certainly opinionated...but he had a joy for life that is rarely seen these days.    

• Like 5

I never met Joe in person - but he was beyond generous in sharing his perspectives from his (incredibly varied) travels.  When my wife and I visited Verona he took the time to personalize some suggestions based on our itinerary.  I'll have to pop a Quintarelli or Dal Forno in his honor over the holidays.

• Sad 1