To Chefs And Restaurateurs

[several people in the industry have recently asked me if it's okay if they post about their own establishments, and the answer is yes, absolutely. Each restaurant has their own thread (or will soon enough), and it's perfectly appropriate for an owner, manager or chef to come into those threads and discuss things such as policies, new menu items, daily specials, etc. And if you drum up some PR in the process, then good for you. It's important, however, to disclose your professional affiliation, and the most elegant way to do it would be to update your signature file.

Cheers,

Rocks.]

[several people in the industry have recently asked me if it's okay if they post about their own establishments, and the answer is yes, absolutely.  Each restaurant has their own thread (or will soon enough), and it's perfectly appropriate for an owner, manager or chef to come into those threads and discuss things such as policies, new menu items, daily specials, etc.  And if you drum up some PR in the process, then good for you.  It's important, however, to disclose your professional affiliation, and the most elegant way to do it would be to update your signature file.

Cheers,

Rocks.]

Are you sure you want to include Gillian and me in this invitation??

• Like 1

[several people in the industry have recently asked me if it's okay if they post about their own establishments, and the answer is yes, absolutely.  Each restaurant has their own thread (or will soon enough), and it's perfectly appropriate for an owner, manager or chef to come into those threads and discuss things such as policies, new menu items, daily specials, etc.  And if you drum up some PR in the process, then good for you.  It's important, however, to disclose your professional affiliation, and the most elegant way to do it would be to update your signature file.

Cheers,

Rocks.]

[hmmm.... time to amend the constitution?] :lol:

I want to cite Pupatella as an example of a restaurateur successfully using this website to their advantage. The proprietor posted about their food cart, clearly identified their associations, did not go beyond reasonable levels of self-promotion, and was picked up by The Post Express in just one short week. They did everything the right way, and did not abuse this website in the process.

People really DO want to know about what your restaurants are up to these days. Yes, there's a fuzzy area between an occasional informational post and what I would term "excessive shilling," but one post a month or so? Perfectly fine. Why NOT use this website as a way to get significant news out to the general public?

Also, if you have an event - I recently noticed that Jaleo is having a Pintxo festival, for example - please send our Daybook Diva, monavano, a PM or an email. She'll try to get these things on the calendar, especially for one-day events (it becomes more difficult for "month-long festivals" for obvious reasons, although we could certainly mention the first day of it). Have at it (if it becomes a burden or chore, I'll let everyone know, but we're so far away from that at this point that it's not an issue).

Congratulations to Pupatella, and I hope other restaurateurs are taking note.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I want to cite Pupatella as an example of a restaurateur successfully using this website to their advantage. The proprietor posted about their food cart, clearly identified their associations, did not go beyond reasonable levels of self-promotion, and was picked up by The Post Express in just one short week. They did everything the right way, and did not abuse this website in the process.

People really DO want to know about what your restaurants are up to these days. Yes, there's a fuzzy area between an occasional informational post and what I would term "excessive shilling," but one post a month or so? Perfectly fine. Why NOT use this website as a way to get significant news out to the general public?

Also, if you have an event - I recently noticed that Jaleo is having a Pintxo festival, for example - please send our Daybook Diva, monavano, a PM or an email. She'll try to get these things on the calendar, especially for one-day events (it becomes more difficult for "month-long festivals" for obvious reasons, although we could certainly mention the first day of it). Have at it (if it becomes a burden or chore, I'll let everyone know, but we're so far away from that at this point that it's not an issue).

Congratulations to Pupatella, and I hope other restaurateurs are taking note.

Cheers,

Rocks.

And why it took me almost three years to try Pupatella for the first time is still astonishing to me. I love that place, I just wish it weren't all the way over in northern Virginia.

• Like 1