Fondue

What restaurants in the DC area serve fondue (beyond The Melting Pot, of course)?

I'm interested in learning about restaurants serving cheese fondue, and/or chocolate fondue.

Zola did (does?) have a chocolate fondue dessert, served with the usual fruit and sponge cake, but also mini rice crispie treats and cookie dough.

Thanks in advance.

- Jennifer, who already dreams of the cooler months ahead

You are looking ahead to cooler weather ! :wub: But this is a good question. If you search the Washington Post's restaurant data base for "Fondue" you get all the Melting Pots in the region plus one other place way outside the Beltway in VA. Remember the 70s when Fondue was fad? There use to be a place called the Big Cheese in G'Town that had many varieties of fondue, but, alas, 'tis no more :P

Sorry I can't be of help with restaurant recs.  But, as the owner of 2 fondue pots, a Raclette pan, and several sets of fondue dishes and forks...you have given me an idea for a DR.com fall get-together.   :P

That sounds like a great idea. I have a nice racelette machine and am trying to aquire an old-style reblochonnade cast iron oven. Although if I can find one I will probably not bring it back to DC.

As for the original poster...fondue is very easy to make and lots of fun, which makes it (for me at least) not good restaurant food. They charge you and arm and a leg at Melting Pot and its nothing near what you can make yourself with some nice gruyere, compte and kirshwasser.

That sounds like a great idea.  I have a nice racelette machine and am trying to aquire an old-style reblochonnade cast iron oven.  Although if I can find one I will probably not bring it back to DC.

As for the original poster...fondue is very easy to make and lots of fun, which makes it (for me at least) not good restaurant food.  They charge you and arm and a leg at Melting Pot and its nothing near what you can make yourself with some nice gruyere, compte and kirshwasser.

Yes easy to make but a bitch to clean-up! I usually have to get a bottle of cheap-oh white plonk to dissolve the crusted cheese remnants. Edited by FunnyJohn

My daughter and I did Melting pot tonight

Stale bread and cheese a little greasy.

Dessert yummy - melted dark chocolate mixed with white chocolate - stuff to dip was lame but I just grabbed a spoon and was really happy. Only thing missing was some vanilla ice cream would have went nicely.

Didn't do any entrees and we still left stuffed.

Thanks for providing me an excuse for a google break! I've only found DC ones so far, but have never been, so no comments. They are:

1. Firefly (Dupont): $14 for cheddar and beer fondue (apples, half smokes).

2. Cafe Mozart (Downtown): $16 or $26 for cheese, $18 for chocolate.

3. Cafe La Ruche (G'town): $14 for Swiss cheese fondue.

Thanks, goodeats! I've actually been to all 3 places, but have only had the fondue at Cafe Mozart and that was a long time ago. Cafe Mozart is a quirky place. I used to work across the street and went pretty often. My favorite dishes at Cafe Mozart are the Hungarian beef goulash, potato leek soup, and apple strudel. And thanks for reminding me about Firefly. The cocktails and parmesan truffle fries are really good at Firefly, and I love the cool atmosphere. I may have to try the fondue there. As for Cafe LaRuche, I go from time to time, but mostly in summer and usually only for dessert. I'm not really fond of the savory dishes there.

Thanks again, good eats! :(

Thanks, goodeats! I've actually been to all 3 places, but have only had the fondue at Cafe Mozart and that was a long time ago. Cafe Mozart is a quirky place. I used to work across the street and went pretty often. My favorite dishes at Cafe Mozart are the Hungarian beef goulash, potato leek soup, and apple strudel. And thanks for reminding me about Firefly. The cocktails and parmesan truffle fries are really good at Firefly, and I love the cool atmosphere. I may have to try the fondue there. As for Cafe LaRuche, I go from time to time, but mostly in summer and usually only for dessert. I'm not really fond of the savory dishes there.

Thanks again, good eats! :(

I'm assuming you're wanting to go out, but if you weren't, fondue is a specialty of mine. (Chalk it up to all the time spent in Annecy.) :P You're welcome any time...

I'm assuming you're wanting to go out, but if you weren't, fondue is a specialty of mine. (Chalk it up to all the time spent in Annecy.) :( You're welcome any time...

Yes, I was wondering about what restaurants besides the Melting Pot have fondue. I don't think there are a lot. Anyway, it's really nice of you to offer. Thank you! I've been to Annecy too. C'est genial. :P

Yes, I was wondering about what restaurants besides the Melting Pot have fondue. I don't think there are a lot. Anyway, it's really nice of you to offer. Thank you! I've been to Annecy too. C'est genial. :(

(Ouais, j'adore Annecy, un peu trop je crois...j'y déménagerais si c'était possible...)

I feel like fondue was a big trend in restaurants for a while -- at least when I was living in Boston, what, 10 years ago -- and then kind of fell off the radar. It might make a bit of a comeback each year during cooler weather? Also, you see a lot of fondues/fondutas that aren't just a big pot of cheese or chocolate It's definitely not something I see a lot in DC, although I hadn't thought of it til you started this thread. Now I'm going to be looking for it.