2011 Savor Beer Festival - SOLD Out

edenman

I've had people sending me this link for what seems like months now. It might have been posted elsewhere but I don't see it. Details:

Savor

May 16-17, 2008

Andrew W. Mellon Auditorium (near Federal Triangle)

There are three sessions: friday night, saturday day, saturday night. Each one is $85. List of what a ticket gets you is here.

The speakers I'd be especially interested in checking out:

Garrett Oliver of Brooklyn Brewing - Friday Night (he's an authority on food/beer pairing, and I've never seen him talk)

Randy Mosher - Saturday Day (his homebrew book "Radical Brewing" is one of my favorite brewing texts)

Jim Koch of Sam Adams - Saturday Day (the man is a legend in craft brewing)

Sam Calagione of Dogfish Head - Saturday Night (easily one of the most entertaining beer guys out there on stage)

Anybody else thinking about going? Tickets just went on sale. Not sure how quickly (or if) it'll sell out, as there's no precedent, this being the first year they're doing it.

The speakers I'd be especially interested in checking out:

Garrett Oliver of Brooklyn Brewing - Friday Night (he's an authority on food/beer pairing, and I've never seen him talk)

I had the good fortune to sit at his table during a tasting a few years back. IIRC he did a college exchange-student stint in the UK, where he became deeply devoted to English ale styles. Now if only his cask-conditioned Brooklyn specials were easier to come by...

I'm still undecided about attending the actual festival, but I'm gonna try to hit as many of the events as possible that week. I did a quick roundup of them in the second section of this on dcist. That Brickskeller Luplin event has been one of the better ones in the past, and in general, i fear my liver will not be too happy with me by the end of that week.

Best Saturday 7:27 wakeup text ever: "Have extra ticket for SAVOR beer event today at 1230. Dad sick. Want it? Will sell at event if you don't, so don't worry. XOXO Mom"

I'll let you know how it goes... from the perspective of someone who still uses the gerund "day-drinking" pretty liberally.

Alex

I appear to be the only one who didn't get the "business casual" memo. Does it count that I wore this beer tshirt to work today?

Friday night in DC, I think most people went straight after work in whatever they were wearing. My head was a little fuzzy this morning, but we went out to dinner after the event and had wine in addition to the beer. It isn't often that I find myself eating dinner that late. Les Halles was perfect for the group we were with - we were a tad loud by then.

I just received a reminder email about this event on May 30 at the National Building Museum this year. Click for more details. Tickets are $95 this year and 78% sold as of today.

Aside from ohstate's feedback above, how did others feel about this event? Is it worth going?

I just received a reminder email about this event on May 30 at the National Building Museum this year. Click for more details. Tickets are $95 this year and 78% sold as of today.

Aside from ohstate's feedback above, how did others feel about this event? Is it worth going?

I'm still undecided on going this year. Tickets last year were $10 less and included the salons. This year the salons are $20 extra (now all sold out). The food pairings were either disappointing or quickly gone. $95 can buy a lot of good and food and drink elsewhere. All that said, I had a good time and I'm sure it will be fun again this year. It's almost worth it just for Russian River and Lost Abbey being there.