Caribbean Restaurants

Looking for a good carribean/jamaican place. Good rice and peas, jerk, and oxtails. Am willing to drive to MD.

Thanks in advance.

Soup

are you willing to drive to Ashburn? Callaloo is great- curried goat that melts in your mouth, tasty peas and rice, huge sticky flavorful jamiaca jerk wings, and the best "dark & stormy" cocktail i've ever had outside of my own bar. they have a steel drum combo the first friday of each month. the Festival bread is really tasty as well

http://www.callaloocuisine.com/

if you go- please mention Aphioni sent ya!

Looking for a good carribean/jamaican place. Good rice and peas, jerk, and oxtails. Am willing to drive to MD.

Thanks in advance.

Soup

Tropicana on Florida Ave/U St. is passable for take out. Good might be a stretch. I don't know of anywhere that does real jerk. (Real jerk, like real bbq, is slow cooked and most of the "jerk" you see at restaurants is just jerk flavored.)

I love Teddy's Roti Shop in Silver Spring. Negril is a local favorite with branches in Silver Spring and the U St/Georgia area but I don't think they do as well as Teddy's.

I agree about Teddy's, but I'm fairly sure it's closed for now (and he didn't last long in the new location near the SS Metro). Negril is also good. But perhaps the best I've had recently is at a hole-in-the-wall on North Capitol, Jam Doung Style. jamdoungstyle.com

I know nothing about this place and have never seen it, but I encountered the menu/web site while searching for something completely different :mellow:

http://www.sweetmangocafe.com/

I can't even guarantee that it's still open, but someone is paying to keep that site up there.

It's still there - my +1 drives past it on the way to work every day. At the moment, neither of us can provide any info other than that, though!