Wine/Food Pairing Websites

Aphioni

soemtimes I just don't want to think about whether beef adobo pairs better with Merlot or Shiraz- I just want to open the bottle, pick up a fork and enjoy! any fave sites out there that do the work for you...? I know of these two but would be interested if there are better ones out there:

http://www.winewebcentral.com/winepairing/

http://www.geerwade.com/Shop-by-Food-Pairing-C239.aspx

soemtimes I just don't want to think about whether beef adobo pairs better with Merlot or Shiraz- I just want to open the bottle, pick up a fork and enjoy! any fave sites out there that do the work for you...? I know of these two but would be interested if there are better ones out there:

http://www.winewebcentral.com/winepairing/

http://www.geerwade.com/Shop-by-Food-Pairing-C239.aspx

Well, there is always www.ewinematch.com! They've a database of thousands of food pairings... and judging by their recommendations, its amazing how many things go with Beringer Founder's Estate Merlot!

Okay, but seriously, this site is an obvious marketing ploy by Foster's Wine Estates; but I have to say, their mobile option advertised in the latest Spectator (Text 411511-- "#6", and Name the Dish) is a really savvy drive at the young wine drinker's market. I just hope that someone else takes advantage of this technology soon and makes a textable resource that is worth a damn!

Boy, unless I'm doing it wrong, if you click pork on the Geerling's site the first ten wines (of nine screens, unhelpfully listed in alphabetical order by producer) are a Coteauux du Languedoc (syrah blend?), two Merlots, a Cali meritage blend, a Pinot, a Carignane, a Beaujolais, two Chiantis and a Cab. OK, the shorter list, what doesn't go with pork? Might as well walk into the wine shop and pick something by the font on the label.

And the WineWebCentral site actually considers White Zinfandel a category, so I fled screaming without playing around with it.

I figure, if you don't feel like worrying about it, just drink whatever is cheapest strikes your fancy and figure things will probably turn out OK, unless you're having something spicy, in which case get an off-dry Reisling or a decent Zin.

Or just post here and see that Slater, Jake or Joe decrees.

I don't neccessarily discredit the listing of wines by profile lightest to heaviest, but when they use Olive Garden and Ruths Chris in one breath (nothing wrong with corporate America as many of us got started in this industry through that door) and Nobu in another breath ( I can say on an outside view that Michael Bondaies and Drew Nieporent don't neccessarily view that as the Flagship wine destination) it seems to give a sense of false reality behind the facts. Now if they mentioned all of Myriad Restaurants including Rubicon and Larry Stone were in the same school of thought, then we have maybe some more meat on the bone. Just a quick thought.

Screw it. I'm having a martini and bar nuts for dinner tonight.

(hmmmm -- which gin?)

Are the nuts sweet, slightly sweet, or just salty? With the sweet I would go with Blue Coat, the citrus should shine with it. If they are Beer Nuts and only slightly sweet go with the rose scented Bulldog, and if they are just salty go with Miller's Westbourne. Or just pour whatever you have the most of, as long as it is not Beefeater.

I took this guy's test, and one of its findings was that I favor the "100 point scale" propagated by Parker. This confirms that the test is complete and utter bullshit.
My brain isn't working today. The results it gave were wrong for me, but not as wrong as I first thought.

This is not a test. There are no wrong answers.

Think of your high school friend Bruno driving through a red light rationalizing, "They're only guidelines."

Drink malvasia with mutton, see if we care.

We submit this missive mostly to encourage experimentation. ("Please play with your food Billy")

If any one tells you that mourvedre doesn't go with turkey, hit them over the head with a drumstick.

From "The Official Bonny Doon Vineyard Guide to 'Pood and Fine Warings' "

Just goes to show: You can't trust people who don't drink.

Tim Hanni... the guy who figured out that all Sauvignon Blanc are lighter in body than all Chardonnay. And that all riesling are lighter than both. Guess I'll go throw all my R Weil Rieslings away, they must be counterfeit!