Opening Day Specials

Lots of opening day specials today: I am posting a list of all the specials I know about. Feel free to add your own.

Chef Will Artley over at ORSO is having a fantastic special today, bring in any old pizza (especially mass market pies from Dominos , Pizza Hut, Little Cesar’s , etc) and he will replace it with a freshly made one from his oven. Just use the special phrase “Moose, Don Rockwell says you’re the best”. While there use the expression “Moose, this is squirrel (with a Russian accent)" for a free slushy drink. Offer is only good for today.

Stop by the old original “Ray’s the Steaks” spit on the window and get a 50% discount on any over aged steak. For those loyal listeners, you can also pull up the Ray’s thread on DR, spit on your monitor (or device) and still claim the discount. Offer good only at select locations, your results may vary. Try not to poke the bear, his bite and bark are worst than his breath.

Do you still have your Don Rockwell.com membership card? Use it today at any Subway restaurant and receive a free double meat upgrade. Don wants everyone to have double meat with any purchase!

Sign up today for 90% off the DR.COM Picnic. This starts the new business WOOPON that Don has been hinting about for a few years. He has accumulated all the restaurants to offer DR.COM members discounts that last all year. Use special code "LATENIGHTDRUNKPOSTING" for additional offers.

INOX rediscovered? Miss INOX? We will have a late night, pop up tonight, please bring some food and a crowbar, hope to see you there.

Finally, Dino has asked to be added to the list. This is the shortest message from Dean ever.

Off for opening day? Enjoy

As usual I could care less about your day, find someone that does.

2012 http://www.donrockwell.com/index.php?/topic/17962-class-action-suit-filed-against-don-rockwell/#entry205369

2011 who the hell knows

2010 http://donrockwell.com/index.php?showtopic=13809&view=findpost&p=159974

2007-2009 http://donrockwell.com/index.php?showtopic=6022&view=findpost&p=75259

• Like 3

The only place seemingly not offering an Opening Day special...or something new or decent...was Nationals Park. Big caveat that I didn't do a full walkaround with the way Stras was pitching and Harper knocking 'em out. But a half-park walk seemed to indicate same old, same old on the food side. Sheesh--why can't they bring some decent grub into the park? Answer: not enough people care I guess.

But what a great game! Everyone did what they were supposed to do today (Stras, Harper, Desmond, Span, even Ramos) except Espinosa (again). But this is a food board and not a sports board so I'll stop here and just lament that Max's was of course closed still for Passover. Anyone else there who discovered anything worth mentioning? 2nd biggest crowd ever in the park at 108% of capacity and nearly 46K.

Nats are 1 and 0. Chance for wire-to-wire maintained.

• Like 2

With the exception of Harper, they did what they were supposed to do everything they were supposed to do, except, you know, hit.

In a break from tradition, it seemed that the concession stands ran smoother than they have on past Opening Days. The lines moved faster than they have in the past.

• Like 1

With the exception of Harper, they did what they were supposed to do everything they were supposed to do, except, you know, hit.

In a break from tradition, it seemed that the concession stands ran smoother than they have on past Opening Days. The lines moved faster than they have in the past.

I'm a bit more charitable. Desmond got his hit and also great to see Span and Ramos get hits given their situations (new and back from injury). Concession stands did seem to move better--agree there. Got crappy food more efficiently. :D

• Like 1

The only place seemingly not offering an Opening Day special...or something new or decent...was Nationals Park.

Did you see Shawafel took over one of the stands on the lower level next to Hard Times and Boardwalk Fries? I've enjoyed Shawafel in a pinch on H Street and the menu at the park includes both the shawafel and fried cauliflower sandwich, which are both solid. YMMV at the park though...

The only place seemingly not offering an Opening Day special...or something new or decent...was Nationals Park. Big caveat that I didn't do a full walkaround with the way Stras was pitching and Harper knocking 'em out. But a half-park walk seemed to indicate same old, same old on the food side. Sheesh--why can't they bring some decent grub into the park? Answer: not enough people care I guess.

But what a great game! Everyone did what they were supposed to do today (Stras, Harper, Desmond, Span, even Ramos) except Espinosa (again). But this is a food board and not a sports board so I'll stop here and just lament that Max's was of course closed still for Passover. Anyone else there who discovered anything worth mentioning? 2nd biggest crowd ever in the park at 108% of capacity and nearly 46K.

In fairness to Mr Rocks, and (by the way) loving your appreciation of The Game, Mr Rocks would have gathered up a generous portion of melted cheese from Steak of the Union, combined it with a bag of chili from Ben's Chili Bowl, slapped both over a Senators' sausage, and then slammed it down with a daiquiri from Daq's and Rita's....and weighed in about a half pound less tomorrow....

Did you see Shawafel took over one of the stands on the lower level next to Hard Times and Boardwalk Fries? I've enjoyed Shawafel in a pinch on H Street and the menu at the park includes both the shawafel and fried cauliflower sandwich, which are both solid. YMMV at the park though...

I did see that! We were on the 3B side so the few trips from the seats I made caught it with a long line. Didn't try it though. Any good?

Also, I didn't get up to the upper deck behind/next to Red Porch. Anything new up there?

In fairness to Mr Rocks, and (by the way) loving your appreciation of The Game, Mr Rocks would have gathered up a generous portion of melted cheese from Steak of the Union, combined it with a bag of chili from Ben's Chili Bowl, slapped both over a Senators' sausage, and then slammed it down with a daiquiri from Daq's and Rita's....and weighed in about a half pound less tomorrow....

Now THAT'S what I LOVE about this board. Yet another tip I'd never have thought of independently. Next time Max's is closed, I'm on it. And up to the half pound lighter challenge as well. Thank KN. :P

I'm a bit more charitable. Desmond got his hit and also great to see Span and Ramos get hits given their situations (new and back from injury). Concession stands did seem to move better--agree there. Got crappy food more efficiently. :D

I did see that! We were on the 3B side so the few trips from the seats I made caught it with a long line. Didn't try it though. Any good?

Also, I didn't get up to the upper deck behind/next to Red Porch. Anything new up there?

Shawafel was really good - and seemed to be much more popular than the flatbread vendor that was there last season. The combo (your choice of sandwich - falafel, chicken, beef, or all three) with their delicious fries was maybe not worth the $13, but as good as/better than most other things I've eaten at the stadium. The sandwich was huge and definitely enough to split between two people.

The Red Porch was a total cluster...the 15-20 minutes for an outside table grew to 30 minutes, then "at least 45 minutes, the kitchen is backed up, blahblahblah". If they're going to say they have a one-hour time limit, they need to enforce it and not let people camp after having ordered fries and the occasional beer.

From what I saw, the offerings are the same near the Red Loft/Scoreboard Pavilion.

You know, in Cincinnati's Great American Ballpark, they just instituted a return policy by which you can leave, grab a bite wherever and return. Can also bring in food without too much trouble (though have done that at Nats Park too). Sometimes it feels like the front office is as indifferent to its customers as the team is fantastically fan friendly and entertaining.

You know, in Cincinnati's Great American Ballpark, they just instituted a return policy by which you can leave, grab a bite wherever and return. Can also bring in food without too much trouble (though have done that at Nats Park too). Sometimes it feels like the front office is as indifferent to its customers as the team is fantastically fan friendly and entertaining.

Don't folks go to watch the game anymore? With the high price of tickets I don't understand why would anyone spend the time to leave the (any) park to go get food.

Don't folks go to watch the game anymore? With the high price of tickets I don't understand why would anyone spend the time to leave the (any) park to go get food.

Big agree here. To be honest, the main value to me of a permitted return policy would be the ability to exit and buy additional water just outside the gate not "purified" by Coke or Pepsi at half the price. Or, the Nats might just allow people to bring a few bottles in with them on very hot days. Or neither if the idea is to force sales of purified tap water which, of course, is what they do.

Lots of opening day specials today: I am posting a list of all the specials I know about. Feel free to add your own.

Chef Will Artley over at ORSO is having a fantastic special today, bring in any old pizza (especially mass market pies from Dominos , Pizza Hut, Little Cesar’s , etc) and he will replace it with a freshly made one from his oven. Just use the special phrase “Moose, Don Rockwell says you’re the best”. While there use the expression “Moose, this is squirrel (with a Russian accent)" for a free slushy drink. Offer is only good for today.

Stop by the old original “Ray’s the Steaks” spit on the window and get a 50% discount on any over aged steak. For those loyal listeners, you can also pull up the Ray’s thread on DR, spit on your monitor (or device) and still claim the discount. Offer good only at select locations, your results may vary. Try not to poke the bear, his bite and bark are worst than his breath.

Do you still have your Don Rockwell.com membership card? Use it today at any Subway restaurant and receive a free double meat upgrade. Don wants everyone to have double meat with any purchase!

Sign up today for 90% off the DR.COM Picnic. This starts the new business WOOPON that Don has been hinting about for a few years. He has accumulated all the restaurants to offer DR.COM members discounts that last all year. Use special code "LATENIGHTDRUNKPOSTING" for additional offers.

INOX rediscovered? Miss INOX? We will have a late night, pop up tonight, please bring some food and a crowbar, hope to see you there.

Finally, Dino has asked to be added to the list. This is the shortest message from Dean ever.

2012 http://www.donrockwell.com/index.php?/topic/17962-class-action-suit-filed-against-don-rockwell/#entry205369

2011 who the hell knows

Here you go Scott- I look forward to seeing your posts on April 1st...it's an annual rite of Spring. Might as well keep the historical context together! (And for once it seems I have mastered the Google search function. :P )

2011--

http://www.donrockwell.com/index.php?/topic/16121-another-important-annoucement/#entry185338

• Like 1

2011 who the hell knows

Don't forget http://www.donrockwell.com/index.php?/topic/2697-sneak-peek-dcs-newest-4-star/