Steamers Seafood House, Downtown Bethesda - Crabs, Twenty TVs, and a Deck out Back - Closed

not wanting to schlep all the way out to Annapolis yesterday we gambled and went to Steamer's crab house in Bethesda - when we walked in the place was empty and no staff were visible - just as we were about to leave the sole waiter/manager hustled upstairs apologizing profusely so we decided to stay.....and boy are we glad we did......prices were $50/60/70 for medium large, x-large respectively and we decided on a dozen large....they were huge and heavy, the meat was sweet and plentiful, so much so that by the time we were done I was stuffed to the gills, something that hardly ever happens when I eat crab....I've never really heard of this place but it was worth every penny yesterday

prices were $50/60/70 for medium large, x-large respectively and we decided on a dozen large....they were huge and heavy

I particularly like this caveat on their menu about their crab feast:

"All You Can Eat Feast is available 7 days a week. There is a 2 hour time limit on your feast. The feast may be cancelled, or hours may vary due to availability of feast crabs."

I particularly like this caveat on their menu about their crab feast:

"All You Can Eat Feast is available 7 days a week. There is a 2 hour time limit on your feast. The feast may be cancelled, or hours may vary due to availability of feast crabs."

fyi - AYCE was $32 - the 2 hour time limit was not mentioned! :)

It's been awhile since I've gone, but it's probably my favorite place short of heading to the bay.
I was trying to figure out where in Bethesda served whole crabs for a long time.

Not because I was looking for a place to go to eat them, but I was wondering how close to the Irish pub Ri Ra it was.

I used to work at a Bethesda restaurant, and after we got off work Ri Ra was the closest place to go for a drink. It was about 1 a.m. on a Saturday night and I remember walking into the men's room, and there was a crab sitting on top of a urinal with its arm wrapped around the stainless steel pipe.

Back at the bar, the conversation was turning to the crab and its odd location. Many of us had a boozy conversation about how the crab got there, but no one seemed to know of a crab place near there.

Now I know that someone (probably doing the all you can eat feast) smuggled the crab out of Steamers and deposited it on the Ri Ra urinal. What a joker. I used to have a photo of it that i took with my phone, but that phone is long gone...

Wait, just searched a map of where Steamers is, and now I'm realizing it was probably Bethesda Crab house on 4900 block of Bethesda Ave -- much closer to Ri Ra. Good story, though ... I only remembered it when I saw this post about crabs in Bethesda.

If you're looking for a later a dinner date option, the next couple of days Bethesda is having a free outdoor movie each night through August 3 with movies ranging from Good Night and Good Luck to Jaws. Tonight my wife and I were looking for a place that would accept our paint-covered bodies as we move into the new house and crabs seemed like the perfect choice and reward for hardwork. We chose Steamers over Bethesda Crab House b/c, well, BCH tends to be over-rated in our opinions and we figured there would be more crabs available at 8:30. We chose well b/c we got a dozen large crabs well-cooked (if I was being super-picky, I'd say they were slightly overcooked but not a single one anywhere near mushy as we had a few at Cantler's) and jam-packed with meat for $65. We sat outside and were able to catch parts of tonight's movie, "Funny Face." Dinner and a movie all at once. Nice surprises (i.e. movie, ambiance, and food).

Pax,

Brian

And Steamers

"Steamers Seafood Owner Plans To Sell Restaurant" by Andrew Metcalk on bethedamagazine.com

LeStrange said he isn't selling the restaurant because of his problems with the county liquor board. Instead, the reasons include getting hit hard financially by the recession and poor play by the Washington Redskins, which has meant less football-related business

LOL!!!