Punch...

mdt

Couldn't find a general thread on punch so I started a new one to post this.

Interesting article in the WSJ about a pretty old recipe.

Gibson has/had(I'm not sure if it's on the menu anymore) the single serving batavia arrack rum punch on the menu and I've been there when they've fired up the punch bowl in the back room. There was Owen doing punch service at Bourbon, Adam's Morgan. He had a couple of bowls at the end of the bar, serving up different punches for awhile. Dan Searing had Punch club, Gina makes a killer punch. Punch is back.

Now if we could just have a bar here in DC that does a full punch service, where they bring you your own punch bowl and glasses and offered a full menu of different recipes.

Punch should just be a prelude to full-on tiki mania IMHO. Y'all need more Don Ho in your lives.

I have had a HUGE craving for Trader Vic's lately, possibly due to my lack of trips to Dragon*Con the past few years (and staying in the hotel that houses Trader Vic's down there)...

I have been making a ginger cranberry drink for a few years now, forgot where I found the recipe. Called Cranberry Gingerly, it is a single serving recipe but I made pitchers of it for Thanksgiving. Sort of figured out the proportions but really just eyeballed the big batch, you can figure it out to your taste.

* 1/4 cup vodka

* 2 tablespoons ginger beer

* 1 1/2 tablespoons thawed cranberry juice cocktail concentrate

* 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice

* 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger

I made a pitcher without the booze and let people spike their own.

It's that time of year again! I'd like to make a punch for a party this weekend and have a few parameters: seasonal, cold, not more than one or two exotic ingredients, no gin, no cooking (simple syrup is fine). I'm considering the Fish House Punch and the Three Sisters Punch linked above, but have you run across anything new and tasty lately? Share!

Fish House Punch is tough to do as real peach brandy is tough to acquire.

David Wondrich has just released Punch, from which I am making two Punches this weekend for a party (a hot one and a cold one). Some great old Punches in there, with some excellent concepts and tips for Punch-making as well.

Thanks! I searched WaPo before I posted but somehow missed the Boston Club Punch, which sounds not seasonal per se but tasty enough for me not to care! It shouldn't matter if I swap some Chambord (which I have) for the raspberry syrup (which I don't), right?

Yeah, it will. But it should be easily correctable.

You can probably approximate raspberry syrup by nuking some raspberry jam to soften it and then pressing it through a tea strainer with a small rubber spatula.