Windy City Red Hots, Chicago-Style Hot Dogs in Several Suburban Locations - Closing Late Apr, 2019

Windy City Red Hots is the website of a remarkable truck which daily parks in the lot of "Blue Mount" Nursery on route 7 about two miles west of the intersection with route 28. This is the LAST place on the face of the earth (Antarctica included) that one would expect to find an authentic Chicago hot dog. Yet it delivers: Vienna beef on a poppy seed bun with celery salt, neon green sweet pickle relish, sport peppers, chopped onion, a dill pickle wedge, yellow mustard and a slice of tomato. No, this isn't Hot Doug's but it is remarkably good for the D. C. suburbs. All of the condiments and the hot dog are sourced from Vienna Beef. They also have Italian beef and polish sausage, too but I haven't tasted these yet. Frankly, this was shockingly good to find on the side of the road half way between Sterling and Leesburg. Not worth a trip from D. C. but worth a detour from elsewhere.

Blue Mount, by the way, is one of the best nurseries in the D. C. area. A Great hot dog truck parked in front is a real plus!

The owner, an enthusiastic 32 year old ex Chicagoan, is active on Twitter, Facebook and MySpace with links on his website. Regardless, he makes a really good hot dog that tastes for all the world like his truck is parked across from Schaumburg Mall.

Well worth supporting.

We have a piece coming out on Angel Miranda and his truck soon.

I invited him to come out to the office last week after a trip out to Ashburn a few weeks ago, and he left us all stuffed and groaning after a meal of Chicago-style dogs (candy-green relish, hot peppers, tomato wedges and all), Polish sausages, Italian beef sandwiches and pizza puffs.

A real taste of Chicago street eats, and no wonder -- all the meats come from Vienna Beef, a Chicago institution, and Angel gets deliveries weekly.

Great stuff, and Joe, you're right -- a nursery is about the last place you'd expect to find a food cart. Much less a really good food cart.

Joe H said:
Windy City Red Hots is the website of a remarkable truck which daily parks in the lot of "Blue Mount" Nursery on route 7 about two miles west of the intersection with route 28. This is the LAST place on the face of the earth (Antarctica included) that one would expect to find an authentic Chicago hot dog. Yet it delivers: Vienna beef on a poppy seed bun with celery salt, neon green sweet pickle relish, sport peppers, chopped onion, a dill pickle wedge, yellow mustard and a slice of tomato. No, this isn't Hot Doug's but it is remarkably good for the D. C. suburbs. All of the condiments and the hot dog are sourced from Vienna Beef. They also have Italian beef and polish sausage, too but I haven't tasted these yet. Frankly, this was shockingly good to find on the side of the road half way between Sterling and Leesburg. Not worth a trip from D. C. but worth a detour from elsewhere.

Blue Mount, by the way, is one of the best nurseries in the D. C. area. A Great hot dog truck parked in front is a real plus!

The owner, an enthusiastic 32 year old ex Chicagoan, is active on Twitter, Facebook and MySpace with links on his website. Regardless, he makes a really good hot dog that tastes for all the world like his truck is parked across from Schaumburg Mall.

All of a sudden Loudoun County is chow central. Ribs at Gilberts Corner! Chicago hot dogs on Rte 7! Cajun food in Leesburg! We rock! Ok, not yet, but we're getting there. :D

Was driving by last wednesday and decided to stop. It was 11am and no one else was a round. A ordered a chicago with everything. I can honestly say, this was a real authentic chicago dog (went to school in Chicago). The steam seeded roll, neon green relish, onion, pickles, tomato, season salt, and the sweet and hot peppers, it was topped just right. The dog was a real vienna beef. Very dense meaty dog, well season, it really took me back. I can honestly say this is the best hogdog in the DC area. I just wish I didn't have to drive way out to Ashburn.

Next, I have to try the italian beef and see if that measures up. I would have also order the beef but I was late for a meeting. BTW, try walking into a meeting after one of their dogs. No amount of breath mint will fix the situation but it was worth it.

Anyone looking for a decent dog, drive out to ashburn.

Soup

Stopped by this afternoon for a dog. I can't say how this compares to a dog you would get in Chicago because this is my first Windy City dog, but for the parking lot in the middle of no where it was pretty good. I would have liked a bit more of that florescent green relish and celery salt, and a hot pepper was strange to my east coast hot dog eating heritage taste buds (don't know if that makes sense but you get the point), but all in all it was worth the stop since I was already out there.

Too long since anyone's mentioned this place. Marvelous hot dogs and surprisingly good french fries from the brick-and-mortar location in downtown Leesburg; haven't sampled the wares from the truck but can confirm that it's still at Blue Mount Nursery, at least on weekends.