Sushi-Zen, Japanese with Sushi in Lee-Harrison Shopping Center in North Arlington

"No Peeking!"

That's what it says on the bright orange envelope I was handed at Sushi-Zen as I picked up my carryout Vegetarian Sushi ($9.49) lunch special. I've been to Sushi-Zen a couple times in the past, and have never cared for either the fish or the sushi rice. Again, I didn't like the rice, but I was pretty taken by the artful carryout presentation of the (tired-looking but well-cut and colorful) vegetables, about six or seven different types. Visually, it was a really nice effort by the sushi chef.

Back to the orange envelope. "Come back to Sushi-Zen November 1st through November 30th, and bring this envelope UNOPENED [in big, bold letters] to receive one of five secret prizes. Envelope needs to be opened in front of your server to be valid."

* A $50 Gift Certificate

* 25% off your bill

* $3.50 off your bill

* A free appetizer value up to $7.00

* A free dessert

My envelope remains unopened. However, a close scrutiny under bright sunlight reveals that I have a free appetizer (value up to $7.00) coming my way in November, should I wish to go back. :(

Cheers,

Rocks.

Sushi Zen is near our house so we get carryout from there every 4-6 weeks or so. We have never been blown away by anything we ordered there. The rice is ok, the fish is ok, nothing especially noteworthy. But, we continue to go back because, while the food's not outstanding, it's never bad either. And the people there are very genuine, they make a real effort to make sure you're satisfied, and the owners seem to care about the community (as evidenced by their various involvements in community efforts). These reasons, and their close proximity to home, will keep us going back. And who knows, maybe someday we'll be bowled over by something we order.

Sushi Zen is near our house so we get carryout from there every 4-6 weeks or so. We have never been blown away by anything we ordered there. The rice is ok, the fish is ok, nothing especially noteworthy. But, we continue to go back because, while the food's not outstanding, it's never bad either. And the people there are very genuine, they make a real effort to make sure you're satisfied, and the owners seem to care about the community (as evidenced by their various involvements in community efforts). These reasons, and their close proximity to home, will keep us going back. And who knows, maybe someday we'll be bowled over by something we order.

I feel the exact same way about this place. You nailed it for me.

Because this place deserves a review since 2009- we went the other night.  This place remains, while not exciting, very decent and reliable.  The service is always very welcoming.  Hubby had forgotten that they had some things other than sushi on the menu and we made a note of that for nights I want sushi and he doesn't.  We have never had anything but sushi, salad and soup.  Hubby got a very interesting roll- maybe the Fireworks? It had yellowjack on the outside from what I remember. For what I think of as a crazy roll- it turned out pretty darn good.  I had a cucumber rolls, salmon and avocado roll, a few pieces of nigiri and a few pieces of a tuna roll.  Decent, respectable sushi per normal.  But there needs to be some credit for being able to remain consistent for the number of years in which they do remain very consistent.  

• Like 4

5 hours ago, ktmoomau said:

Because this place deserves a review since 2009- we went the other night.  This place remains, while not exciting, very decent and reliable.  The service is always very welcoming.  Hubby had forgotten that they had some things other than sushi on the menu and we made a note of that for nights I want sushi and he doesn't.  We have never had anything but sushi, salad and soup.  Hubby got a very interesting roll- maybe the Fireworks? It had yellowjack on the outside from what I remember. For what I think of as a crazy roll- it turned out pretty darn good.  I had a cucumber rolls, salmon and avocado roll, a few pieces of nigiri and a few pieces of a tuna roll.  Decent, respectable sushi per normal.  But there needs to be some credit for being able to remain consistent for the number of years in which they do remain very consistent.  

I've never been, but even while I lived in the area for a year, I wondered how this place did enough business to stay open. 

I dunno, there were a lot of tables full, and carry out orders on a random Monday evening the week of Christmas.  I didn't see a sushi boat in sight, but that neighborhood has tons of kids, so I assume it might be a novelty for little ones- this is a huge family oriented shopping center and there were some little boys at the sushi counter with their parents when we were there.

1 minute ago, ktmoomau said:

I dunno, there were a lot of tables full, and carry out orders on a random Monday evening the week of Christmas.  I didn't see a sushi boat in sight, but that neighborhood has tons of kids, so I assume it might be a novelty for little ones- this is a huge family oriented shopping center and there were some little boys at the sushi counter with their parents when we were there.

I haven't been here in over seven years, so they may have nixed the sushi boats. I'm sure they have loyal customers, because they're a well-established business.

On 10/5/2009 at 2:58 PM, DonRocks said:

"No Peeking!"

That's what it says on the bright orange envelope I was handed at Sushi-Zen as I picked up my carryout Vegetarian Sushi ($9.49) lunch special. I've been to Sushi-Zen a couple times in the past, and have never cared for either the fish or the sushi rice. Again, I didn't like the rice, but I was pretty taken by the artful carryout presentation of the (tired-looking but well-cut and colorful) vegetables, about six or seven different types. Visually, it was a really nice effort by the sushi chef.

Back to the orange envelope. "Come back to Sushi-Zen November 1st through November 30th, and bring this envelope UNOPENED [in big, bold letters] to receive one of five secret prizes. Envelope needs to be opened in front of your server to be valid."

* A $50 Gift Certificate

* 25% off your bill

* $3.50 off your bill

* A free appetizer value up to $7.00

* A free dessert

My envelope remains unopened. However, a close scrutiny under bright sunlight reveals that I have a free appetizer (value up to $7.00) coming my way in November, should I wish to go back. :(

Cheers,

Rocks.

They still hand these out.  I got one in August for use in September, but of course I forgot about it.