Slice 'n' Dice, Deli (with Montgomery Doughnuts!) in Crystal City - Closed

I have no idea how the pizza, sandwiches, or salads are, but they donuts tasted like childhood.

WaPo's John Kelly's take.

Made my day!!! I lived for these things as a kid. Once WINX 1600 was doing a live remote from the factory on Gude drive. We sat in the parking lot waiting for the next trivia question, then ran in and won 144 doughnuts. Score!!

Krispy Kreme, compared glazed-to-glazed, doesn't hold a candle to MoDos. I really do hope they're like I remember and hope I can get down there soon.

Once WINX 1600 was doing a live remote from the factory on Gude drive.

You must have been on the very edge of the WINX signal, I am sure that if you would have tried to listen to it from the other side of Gude you would have gotten nothing but static.

You must have been on the very edge of the WINX signal, I am sure that if you would have tried to listen to it from the other side of Gude you would have gotten nothing but static.

Yeah...and growing up, I thought the world dropped off into oblivion on the north end at Shady Grove Rd. WINX must've had 10 listeners, and 5 were in my house - they finally implemented a once-per-30-days prize limit after we were winning something or other about every week.

Cool Gude trivia: A few years ago, I was at the gas station at 355 and Gude, and a guy asks "Which way to rte 28?" Funny thing, Gude Dr ends at rte 28 on both ends! True story. And very off-topic :(

I work in the area, so I've been to Slice n Dice often for lunch, but more for breakfast.

Their breakfast sandwiches are great and a great value. Less than $3 for a big sandwich on either a delicious housemade biscuit or a good housemade bagel. I've been partial to the bagel lately, but you can't go wrong with their biscuits either. I love their bagels, but probably because they're freshly-made. Sometimes when I order just a bagel with nothing (no cream cheese, no sandwich, just a bagel), they hand me stale ones that had been made the previous day and kept in the fridge overnight...but I find that was just me going too early (right after they open at 7 AM).

Their cheesesteak is great, and the best one I've had in the region so far (and I grew up in Jersey, so I know my cheesesteaks :), even compared to Al's in Alexandria. It's a bit greasy, but hey...you're not eating a cheesesteak because you're on a diet. Heh. Chicken cheesesteak is overloaded on the pepper and not enough cheese in the least. The pepper was too much for me both times I've had it.

Regular sub sandwiches...I've only had the turkey so far, but it was really salty. I'm fairly sensitive to salt, so it might be just me. But it's put me off their cold cut sandwiches...I do like their bread, though.

Pizza looked WAAAAAYYY too cheesy for me. Like, dripping with cheese. As did their strombolis. Never tried them for this reason.

Montgomery donuts are addictive. I try to stay away for the good of my already-hefty waistline, but every now and then I get the craving for a great, freshly-made donut that's not from a chain (which this region is surprisingly and sorely lacking).

The owner is always around, but looking very serious and not interacting very much with customers unless they are short-staffed. And they are obviously VERY short-staffed a lot of the time. I would say it's a kink they need to work out, but they've been open for about a year now (maybe more? Can't remember) and they still don't have a great system for when it gets REALLY busy. It's just confusing, but not chaotic enough to turn me away.

Bottom line: go for breakfast. You'll definitely get great value for your money then.