This Morning's Earthquake

DonRocks

I was sitting up on the couch, validating new members, when my house shook for about 10 seconds. I knew this was not a truck passing by, or a plane flying overhead. At no point was anything clanging or falling (I'm in Arlington county), but I was fairly certain that something unique in my lifetime had just occurred. I wasn't scared; just fascinated. We're no match for Mother Nature, at the end of the day.

Cheers,

Rocks

I was sitting up on the couch, validating new members, when my house shook for about 10 seconds. I knew this was not a truck passing by, or a plane flying overhead. At no point was anything clanging or falling (I'm in Arlington county), but I was fairly certain that something unique in my lifetime had just occurred. I wasn't scared; just fascinated. We're no match for Mother Nature, at the end of the day.

Cheers,

Rocks

3.6 earthquake centered in Gaithersburg. I was shopping online at Macys.com and had just clicked "add to bag" when it struck. Spooky!

I grew up on/near the most active fault in the US*, and developed the uncanny ability to wake up just after even such tremors* having no idea what happened, but just knowing I was wide awake, as though I'd been shot up with caffeine and adrenaline. Same thing today.

The dog, however, didn't feel a thing. Guess his weather sense isn't all that.

*Honest that this is the most active in North America.

**Also did this with tornadoes -- yes, slept through them -- which were fairly common, since it's also basically part of Tornado Alley.

Was checking e-mail before heading off to gym. We occasionally have fighter jets fly low over the house and that's what I thought this was until it lasted a few seconds too long. Jumped in Rocket and went to the gym only to overhear people talking about the earthquake.

The East Coast is on a very large fault line that has been inactive for a long time. A number of years ago, I sat through a mild earthquake in Tennessee, something that hadn't happened there in a very long time. Looks like those tectonic plates are getting nervous.

The dog, however, didn't feel a thing. Guess his weather sense isn't all that.

That must be nice I got woken up not having sensed a thing to some mild shaking and a freaking out dog at a time I don't often see. I think I would have slept through the earthquake without knowing a thing.

As a native Californian, I thought it might be a good idea to explain what earthquakes are to folk from DC. As is well known, dragons live just below the surface of the earth. One must not disturb the dragons {this explains why it takes Pepco or WASA so long to complete any repairs!} But when the dragon has indigestion or a nightmare, they tend to roll over in their sleep or belch, thus an earthquake.

Sorry if I got too technical here. Just hope this help!