Kid-Friendly near Verizon Center

Al the Pal

I'm talking my niece to a Mystics game tomorrow night and would like to go to dinner beforehand. Does anyone have any suggestions for places that are kid friendly and have good food. I was thinking of taking her to Matchbox, but it sounds like its very loud inside. Any other suggestions?

(I have a feeling this thread must exist somewhere but I can't find it yet. Please feel free to merge with an existing thread.)

thanks so much!

It's not area-specific to Gallery Place but we have this thread ...

I don't know that I'd call my usual suggestions -- Proof, Poste, or PS7's -- totally "kid-friendly" per se. That said, it depends on her palate, age, and demeanor. Can you give more information about your niece and we can try to hone in on ideas? :)

I'm talking my niece to a Mystics game tomorrow night and would like to go to dinner beforehand. Does anyone have any suggestions for places that are kid friendly and have good food. I was thinking of taking her to Matchbox, but it sounds like its very loud inside. Any other suggestions?

(I have a feeling this thread must exist somewhere but I can't find it yet. Please feel free to merge with an existing thread.)

thanks so much!

Clyde's is in the block just north of the Center; Oyamel is a block south. To the west is the Spy Cafe (although I don't know how late they stay open).

It's not area-specific to Gallery Place but we have this thread ...

I don't know that I'd call my usual suggestions -- Proof, Poste, or PS7's -- totally "kid-friendly" per se. That said, it depends on her palate, age, and demeanor. Can you give more information about your niece and we can try to hone in on ideas? :)

Thanks. My niece is almost 10 years old. She is open to trying most things (except a number of normally popular fruits!) I know she likes Indian food as she is regular at Raga in Arlington. (Every time she gets straight A's on her report card she gets to pick a restaurant and its always Raga.) Not sure how she would like Rasika as she doesn't deal well with any deviations from her usual Rogan josh (spelling.) She also loves sweets (or is that me. no its both of us!)

I recommend going to Teaism in PQ. Has some Indian but there's the fishes and peaceful quiet and seating downstairs. Asia Nine is another choice. I like PQ because you have a nice walk to Verizon after and then you might stop by Tangysweet, too (but that's just me).

Otherwise, Zola's Spy Cafe is nice too. (How does Ella's Pizza rank on the people's radar these days? I heard it's def. family-friendly.) Or Zaytinya.

PS7 would be acceptably fancy for her, and would be my leading "intro to fine dining" for a young adult in the PQ. Jaleo, Zaytinya would be more casual with signature foods. Matchbox would be a nice fallback position (I don't think it would be super loud early before a Mystics game). I've ignored the well-known chains nearby, I'm sure you're familiar with them.

thanks for the great suggestions everyone. has anyone been to Coco Sala? I like the idea of the restaurant but the website is driving me nuts (I guess I don't like bouncy music in the morning.)

Restaurant is like the website - people bounce all over the place. The few times I've visited, you have to shout across the table because the music is loud, and service can be up or down, depending on who you get. The hot chocolate is good, and some people like the food, but I would go there for dessert after and not a meal before.

Restaurant is like the website - people bounce all over the place. The few times I've visited, you have to shout across the table because the music is loud, and service can be up or down, depending on who you get. The hot chocolate is good, and some people like the food, but I would go there for dessert after and not a meal before.

My kiddo loved Co. Co. Sala with a passion, but he is a chocolate nut like me. I like the food a lot, actually, but I like it better at lunch when it's not so busy and loud. Dessert after is a good idea, and maybe lunch on a weekend before the Verizon Center.

It turned out we were a group of 5 with some not very adventurous eaters. We ended up at Matchbox which was fine. We were there early so it wasn't too loud and the kids seemed to like it. I ordered my sliders medium and they came out well done but maybe its more difficult to cook tiny burgers medium? In any case, they were pretty good. I gave most of the onion straws to the nieces who gobbled them up. For dinner they gave us gratis some yummy donut holes filled with caramel. Everyone seemed happy and the Mystics won so it was a nice evening.

thanks everyone for the suggestions. I got lots of ideas for future outings in the Penn Quarter area.

I recommend going to Teaism in PQ. Has some Indian but there's the fishes and peaceful quiet and seating downstairs. Asia Nine is another choice. I like PQ because you have a nice walk to Verizon after and then you might stop by Tangysweet, too (but that's just me).

Otherwise, Zola's Spy Cafe is nice too. (How does Ella's Pizza rank on the people's radar these days? I heard it's def. family-friendly.) Or Zaytinya.

Ella's is family-friendly, though you need to have your whole party there before they will seat you, so you can have kids having to wait if your party isn't there. The pizzas are tasty and there are more adventurous choices, and they can go fairly quickly if you tell them you're in a rush.

Zaytinya has been wonderful with my 10-year-old each time we've gone. He likes fried calamari and theirs is the best he's ever had, and the puffy-bread is a real kid-pleaser. It's a little elegant but not overwhelmingly so, the Dyson hand-dryer in the bathroom is way cool for a kid if they're old enough not to be scared by it, and the peach and sour cherry juices have been hits. Perfect place to go with a kid who is a little adventurous (they don't have to be supremely so, but a little bit).

Oyamel has been great with kids too. When it was a slow time there (definitely not at peak hours), they asked my son if he'd like to help make the guacamole in the volcanic-rock mortar and pestle they bring to the table. For a semi-adventurous eater, the soft tacos are good (mine asks for just the meat and tortilla, but he loves them, and we get the sides).

Teaism is good but I had a harder time finding something my son would eat there, because the menu is shorter and more items have some spice to them. He would prefer not to go back there - it depends on your kid and what they're used to eating. I love it, especially the shrimp summer rolls and the lentil soup or Asian gazpacho, depending which they're serving.

Rasika does have some standard Indian dishes as well as the creative ones - check their menu for next time and see if they have rogan josh, I seem to remember having a lamb dish that was very tasty but disappointed me because I prefer their creative dishes. If they've got her rogan josh, you can take her and she'll love the elegance and the breads.

Tangysweet or Red Velvet Cupcake afterwards for a treat is a great idea (unless you eat at Oyamel or Zaytinya, which have outstanding desserts). There's also Gifford's ice cream, right near Ford's Theatre - it's a hole in the wall, but the ice cream is good, especially with hot fudge.

Bump... we may be spending next weekend in DC and am curious if there are new options. Are there restaurants that specifically cater to kids?

Does it matter where?

Comet Ping Pong is fun for kids, but the ping pong area is kind of a miserable zoo during prime time.

Sorry, I should be more specific. Abby is almost 2... the more she is entertained and enjoys the environment, the more likely we are to actually eat and not inhale our meal to get her out of there as quickly as possible... toddlers!

Sorry, I should be more specific. Abby is almost 2... the more she is entertained and enjoys the environment, the more likely we are to actually eat and not inhale our meal to get her out of there as quickly as possible... toddlers!

She may be a bit young, but I spent many a meal with Matt as a toddler at Rio Grande or Cactus Cantina, simply because he was mesmerized by the tortilla-making machines. Recently, I entertained (or, should I say, Jeff Black entertained) two older children with the lobster tank at Freddy's in Bethesda. Miniature golf at H Street Country Club may have to wait a few years. :)

Could you be more specific still about location, time, etc.?