Need A Bar To Watch Eagles Game On Sunday

monavano

My brother and nephew (18yo) are visiting Sunday and Monday. We're going to the Nat's vs. Phils game on Monday night, and for Sunday, need a fun place to watch Eagles football (4pm start), an Eagles-centric bar, preferably. A place with many tv's will also do, with good bar food, of course (think wings and nachos). I think they'll enjoy being surrounded by Philly fans, first and foremost.

I know of Rhino Bar in G'town, but wonder if it'll be so packed that we'd be standing the whole time (we will be getting wherever after the game starts, probably), which is NOT an option. I want to sit and enjoy. I'm also thinking Bugsy's in Old Town.

Suggestions?

My recommendation would be to hit up Carpool in Ballston.

The weather on Sunday is supposed to be decent and I've certainly seen Eagles fans in there previously. While it won't be like Rhino, meaning packed wall to wall with Eagles fans, it's a pretty good experience for watching the game esp. if you can grab one of the outdoor tables (they swing a bunch of TV's out so they face the outside seating).

Out by me (Gaithersburg), I've had good luck watching games at Dogfish the past few years. Not a Eagles bar by any means, but there are a handful of fans there, and it has great beer and pretty good food. However, this past weekend, we were shut out since there weren't any Eagles fans there and all the TVs were claimed.

I tried Bailey's up in Germantown because we were desperate, and they actually have a good amount of Eagles fans there. Granted, this is just on one visit to the place, but they had a side room with multiple games on, but mostly Eagles fans were there and the game was up on the big screen. It helps that the manager of the place is a huge Eagles fan too, so while their main room showed many games (and lots of Steelers fans were there), this side room was perfect for us with plenty of fans yelling at the TV together. We plan on going back again on Sunday for sure. They have a good tap list (Arrogant Bastard, Dogfish 60 min were notable), but their food is pretty much standard bar food. We're hoping that they'll have the same setup this weekend.

One thing to keep in mind about this Sunday, and something we're trying to debate too, is that the Eagles game is at 4:00pm. That means most bars will be packed with folks from the 1pm games (Steelers and Ravens are playing at 1PM, Redskins at 4pm), so anywhere you go will probably be tough on finding seats unless you go for the 1:00pm games too.

You're following the same exact schedule as us - Eagles game Sunday, Phillies game Monday. Stubhub was having a fire sale earlier this week and we picked up 3 tickets 4 rows back from the field for $23!

If your nephew doesn't have an ID that says he's 21, he wlll not be admitted into Rhino. They card at the door. Unfortunately, that's the only dyed-in-the-wool Eagles bar that I'm aware of in DC proper. Also, it will be packed by gametime, and it will feel like the 700 level at the Vet, right down to the shoving and the vomit. That being said, good wings.

Also, though I suspect you already know this, you're in a pretty crappy position. The Redsksins game is also at 4 PM on Sunday, so you need to find a bar with plenty of TVs and (hopefully) some Eagles fans.

Buffalo Billiards, another likely option, also cards at the door. I believe Public does as well, but I'm not positive.

You should be okay at the Greene Turtle attached to the Verizon Center, which is a standard commercial sports pub.

You might want to try St. Ex on 14th St -- they just got Sunday Ticket and show it on three TVs downstairs. They've got good bar food and drinks, it shouldn't be too packed, and it's a restaurant that will definitely let your nephew in. That being said, they'll be plenty of 'skins fans.

I can't really speak to MD or VA options, and I'm sure there are people on this board with other ideas.

Last year I went to First Down in Arlington VA (4213 N. Fairfax Dr) quite a bit to watch football. The nachos suck and the wings are adequate. What kept me going back was the efficient set up of the hi-def televisions, and that prior to the games they labeled each tv with what game would be on so you can pick your spot accordingly. Also the regular attendees were generally friendly, and the new ownership is really trying hard to create a welcoming environment to sit down for the game. They play the sound for the redskins games. They really ought to work on those nachos, though.

Wow, great suggestions. It's been so long since I've hung out at a bar to watch a game. And, dayum! I thought getting a free parking pass with my StubHub tickets was a good deal! $23!! Zowie! (we're behind the Phil's/Visitor dugout).

Carpool, Spider Kelly's,, Thirsty Bernie's all sound like viable options...plus St. Ex. Great suggestions.

Also good to know about the fact that the Redskins are playing at 4....will have to hit a place with many tv's.