Goat Meat

iolaire

I have a Kenyan friend who is missing cooking with goat meat. He says that he is having a hard time finding it around here. Where can it be found in the DC area? Bonus points for Northern VA! Thanks in advance.

Eco Friendly offers goat occasionally. They are at the Dupont farmers market on Sun., and the Courthouse market on Sat. Perhaps call Bruce at Westover Market.

I have a Kenyan friend who is missing cooking with goat meat. He says that he is having a hard time finding it around here. Where can it be found in the DC area? Bonus points for Northern VA! Thanks in advance.

Most halal butchers in the area have it.

The thread on how to prepare goat has some ideas for sources, too.

However, the local source I recommended, Many Rocks Farm, does not participate in farmers markets during the winter.

I have also found it at some WFs lately.

Which? Some years ago, the P St. location carried it, but discontinued the meat when it didn't sell well. Haven't seen it in Silver Spring where there are many native Africans and Latino/a residents who might appreciate it.

However, the local source I recommended, Many Rocks Farm, does not participate in farmers markets during the winter.

Which? Some years ago, the P St. location carried it, but discontinued the meat when it didn't sell well. Haven't seen it in Silver Spring where there are many native Africans and Latino/a residents who might appreciate it.

I wouldn't risk my life on it but I am pretty sure I saw Many Rocks at SSFM the Saturday before Christmas.

AB - I thought I saw it at the Clarendon one or Tyson's one, as I glanced at it, thought "goat curry!" and quickly thought of other items in my freezer that I must cook down first...so I didn't buy any. (And now, like Zora's comment, my short-term memory "ain't so great anymore.")

I wouldn't risk my life on it but I am pretty sure I saw Many Rocks at SSFM the Saturday before Christmas.

Twouldn't be risky. I should clarify. Many Rocks participated in regular 2010 season at the Silver Spring market that ran through December 18.

The two FRESHFARM Markets (Dupont Circle and Silver Spring) that hold year-round markets reduce the hours of operation from January through March and call that period the Winter Market (10 AM to 1 PM). Spring begins, technically, before the regular season in April. Many Rocks should return around that time.

Today's FreshFarm Market e-newsletter says EcoFriendly will have goat this week. This means they will have it at the Arlington Courthouse Market on Saturday 9 am - noon, as well as at Dupont Circle on Sunday 10am - 1pm (best selection is on Saturdays)

(I'm working for them this weekend at Arlington. If your friend wants to brave the cold and come see me there, I'll be happy to help them.)

There is an Afghan halal market on Edsall Road just east of S. Van Dorn in Alexandria that often has a van parked in the front of the lot that has a sign advertising goat meat. If you need farther west, in the old section of Herndon in the shopping center with the KMart there is a halal butcher that I know had some disputes with the landlord for tossing the remnants from goat butchering straight into the dumpster out back.

There is an Afghan halal market on Edsall Road just east of S. Van Dorn in Alexandria that often has a van parked in the front of the lot that has a sign advertising goat meat. If you need farther west, in the old section of Herndon in the shopping center with the KMart there is a halal butcher that I know had some disputes with the landlord for tossing the remnants from goat butchering straight into the dumpster out back.

The one in Herndon is called Medina Market and actually bought a leg for a Christmas Day curry. It was pretty good.

Have not heard about the landlord disputes. Was that in a local area paper?