Major Party For Our Most Important Member

DonRocks

Looks as though Magdelena's source was from the definitive work of cuisine nissarde, La Bonne Cuisine du Comte de Nice, which written by the beloved and utterly corrupt former Mayor of Nice, Jacques Medecin.

You do know that you stayed at Magdalena's house, right?

It's safe to say that if it weren't for Magdalena (whose real name is Thérèse), there would be no donrockwell.com - there would certainly have been no Member Number One, because, yes, she's Karen's mom - my life would have taken a different path, and this website and community would absolutely not exist. I love Thérèse more than you could ever possibly know.

And, she's coming to visit at the end of April. Let's all throw her a HUGE surprise party! She's been through a living Hell these past ten years - even more than I have (trust me, you have no idea) - and this would be one of the happiest moments of her life.

Maybe Sou'Wester?

She won't see this thread, so it's safe to comment here. Please can we make this happen? If you've ever thought of "repaying" me for running this website, even if you've never met me before, then please let's make this work. Please?

You do know that you stayed at Magdalena's house, right?

That was my strong suspicion.

And, she's coming to visit at the end of April. Let's all throw her a HUGE surprise party! She's been through a living Hell these past ten years - even more than I have (trust me, you have no idea) - and this would be one of the happiest moments of her life.

Stephanie and I would, of course, be delighted to return some of the hospitality she showed us.

That was my strong suspicion.

Stephanie and I would, of course, be delighted to return some of the hospitality she showed us.

In well over five years of running this website, this is going to be the single-most important event (to me, personally). Thérèse doesn't care about expense, or great food, or anything else; she cares about me - and by extension, the only grandson she will ever have, Matt, my mom (who will definitely come), and all my friends here on donrockwell.com (whether you know me personally or not). I want to make this a once-in-a-lifetime event for her without being the least bit expensive for any members, and I also want to make this a total surprise. I want every member here to come, even though I know most of you have your own lives and can't (but I can at least ask, right?). Nobody, but nobody, alive in this world today deserves happiness any more than Thérèse, and I'm going to go out of my way to see that she has an evening of total joy. Just knowing that her grieving son-in-law is okay will mean more to her than anything else ever could - we went through Hell together; it's time for us to celebrate with an evening of happiness.

I think the picnics show our community at its best.

Food and fellowship.

Food as our language of love and caring.

That gets my vote but I'll support anything you decide.

She won't be here for the picnic (unless it's ... when?)

I've been up all night long; I haven't even thought of dozing off (next week for lunch, Dave?). I have tears in my eyes at the thought of this long-suffering, giant of a person being happy for an entire evening.

She won't be here for the picnic (unless it's ... when?)

I've been up all night long; I haven't even thought of dozing off (next week for lunch, Dave?). I have tears in my eyes at the thought of this long-suffering, giant of a person being happy for an entire evening.

I actually thought translating the picnic to somewhere indoors and for a late afternoon into evening...

Go to sleep!!!

There is no reason the picnic couldn't be the first weekend in May. I know scheduling is tough but this far out people could plan accordingly if that is the route you'd like to pursue.

As to a place that is intimate and unique, what about the Tabard Inn? I've had many a nice event there and they do a good job (generally).

Don--

What about calling on the assistance of some industry friends to find a space to rent at a discounted rate (eg: would a banquet room at the Mandarin Oriental be possible?) and hold a benefit for a local food-related charity of your choice that is partially catered, partially DR picnic-style potluck--like an appetizer and dessert potluck, and a catered main course. Cash bar with creative cocktails designed by one of our talented mixologist-members. Wine at cost from one of our member winesellers. A band or a DJ for dancing. Make the tickets reasonably priced (and somehow tax deductible?). Dress up if you want to (or not). I'd gladly buy a ticket to something like that.

Don--

What about calling on the assistance of some industry friends to find a space to rent at a discounted rate (eg: would a banquet room at the Mandarin Oriental be possible?) and hold a benefit for a local food-related charity of your choice that is partially catered, partially DR picnic-style potluck--like an appetizer and dessert potluck, and a catered main course. Cash bar with creative cocktails designed by one of our talented mixologist-members. Wine at cost from one of our member winesellers. A band or a DJ for dancing. Make the tickets reasonably priced (and somehow tax deductible?). Dress up if you want to (or not). I'd gladly buy a ticket to something like that.

The potluck is a great idea. It would be affordable even on a line cook's budget. What a lovely surprise.

Don-as someone representative of the 'haven't-ever-met-you' group, I'd be game to support whatever's decided on this simply because you've created and worked incredibly hard to build something pretty damn unique and incredibly valuable without asking much (anything?) for it. I'd echo what another poster said in that it'd be an honor to even be asked to attend.

is it okay to ask for a bit more of the story behind DR.com's founding as related to Therese? I'd just be curious to know more; maybe it's on a board here somewhere already. Only as easy/fast to do or can blow off--not urgent at all.

Given this is a big deal for you, I hope it'll be a very big deal for most of the members here.

THANK YOU, Don!

A typical email exchange with Thérèse, who studies English with the enthusiasm of a college student, and was stuck on a weather-related word scramble:

---

Subject: please

Date: February 6, 2011 1:15:27 PM EST

To: donrockwell

Je dois trouver des mots avec des lettres en désordre qui ont tous un rapport avec la météo. J'en ai trouvé 9 et je ne trouve pas le dernier:

OTDRUGH Merci d'avance.

---

Begin forwarded message:

Date: February 6, 2011 1:18:45 PM EST

To: therese

Subject: Re: please

HOT DRUG :-)

Seriously ... drought (une manque de pluie; une sécheresse)

---

Subject: Fwd: please

Date: February 6, 2011 1:37:49 PM EST

To: pierkaren

BTW, drought rhymes with "out," not "thought."

(BTW, BTW means "By the way,")

---

[And yes, that last sentence was somewhat cruel.]