Copper River King Salmon

DanielK

CR King is an aberration but did appear in western markets this year. The sockeye is more common. King/Chinook is no longer in northwest coast markets so not sure likely it'd be in DC. Also not sure the premium charged for CR is at all worth it relative to good quality, never frozen, Alaskan king. A side-by-side comparison we did recently was eye-opening supporting the Alaskan over CR view. FWIW

As a former Alaskan, I've never understood the fascination with CR salmon. Other than the fact that it's the first Alaskan salmon of the season, taste-wise it's practically identical to any other Alaskan salmon...and much more expensive. Simply a triumph of marketing.

As a former Alaskan, I've never understood the fascination with CR salmon. Other than the fact that it's the first Alaskan salmon of the season, taste-wise it's practically identical to any other Alaskan salmon...and much more expensive. Simply a triumph of marketing.

I have to disagree. I bought a couple of CR filets about 10 years ago (for about 8-9 bucks a pound) from I-don't remember-where and threw them on the grill to feed a small crowd. That was, hands down, the best Salmon ever. Except for maybe the salmon my Father caught on a fishing trip outside San Francisco Bay back in the 1950s. I really, really don't like the texture of Sockeye salmon (unless it is smoked). This stuff was vastly different. I'm guessing that it was King salmon, FWIW.

Ever had non-CR Alaskan King Salmon?

Yup--just last year--bought from Cold Country Salmon fisherman and DR.com member Traveller Terpening. Not quite the same as the CR that I bought a few years ago, although it was good.