Jose Andres' Cookbook

cjsadler

I got this as an Xmas present.  Curious if anyone else has it, and whether they've made anything from it.   

I have to say, though, that this cookbook has some very unappetizing food photography in it (turn to page 31 or 203... yikes).

Or page 53...

Got it as a gift too. Skimmed through it and look forward to making some items out of it at some point.

I bought it last month and you're right about some of the photos. I haven't made anything yet but several recipes looked intriguing. My tapas go-to book is Casas' Tapas: The Little Dishes of Spain but I've made many many of those recipes and it would be nice to try something new.

I have the book as well, although haven't tried any of the recipes yet.

Still working my way thru Tony Bourdain's excellent cookbook

How is that cookbook anyway? I've looked at it a few times at Borders...have you tried any of the recipes? I am thinking of purchasing it myself. I just got through listening to Kitchen Confidential (downloaded off of audible.com). He narrates it, and it is a real hoot. More fun than reading it myself I think. I guess I'm kind of out of it...didn't realize Les Halles here in DC is a sister restaurant of his NY one. My husband and I had a great meal there this summer.

José Andres will be doing cooking demos and a book signing next month at a couple of the local Wegmans:

Saturday 11 February, 2.00-4.00 pm

Wegmans Dulles (Sterling)

45131 Columbia Place

Sterling, VA 20166

703-421-2400

Sunday 12 February, 2.00-4.00 pm

Wegmans Fairfax

11620 Monument Drive

Fairfax, VA 22030

(703) 653-1600

Tickets are free, but you have to go request them from the customer service desk at the respective stores.

How is that cookbook anyway? I've looked at it a few times at Borders...have you tried any of the recipes? I am thinking of purchasing it myself.  I just got through listening to Kitchen Confidential (downloaded off of audible.com). He narrates it, and it is a real hoot. More fun than reading it myself I think. I guess I'm kind of out of it...didn't realize Les Halles here in DC is a sister restaurant of his NY one. My husband and I had a great meal there this summer.

I think it's a great cookbook. I've tried several of the recipes and they've come out great. Plus his intro and explanations are pure Tony Bourdain.

I made a few items from the cook book this past weekend.

The one I really liked was the toast with chocolate. I saw this noted somewhere (the Wash Post food section, maybe?) and I wanted to try it.

If you don't have the cookbook, it is VERY simple... just toast some good bread, stick it back in the toaster oven/ broiler with some pieces of good chocolate on top. When melted, toss on a little sea salt and drizzle a bit of extra virgin olive oil.

The salt and the olive oil is a nice compliment to the chocolate.

OK - you may have been joking but - I think that is not such a bad idea, a recipe-testing party! A friend I know has chili parties in their apartment building every now and then and they always seem to work out bien.

Um, are two other people interested? Like, really? We could do soup / app / main or app / main / dessert and have a party; kind of a BYOI picnic?

José Andres will be doing cooking demos and a book signing next month at a couple of the local Wegmans:

We went to the one at Dulles today, and it was a lot of fun. They closed off the side portion of the upstairs cafe area and set up an impromptu prep and cooking area, rather than trying to shoehorn everyone into their classroom up there. It worked pretty well, except for the initially nonfunctional induction burner with Japanese-only controls and the anemic toaster.

Fortunately, he was demonstrating some of the not-much-cooking-required recipes like the pan con tomate with Manchego and Serrano ham, gazpacho, the version of the tortilla made with Route 11 potato chips, and the olives stuffed with piquillo peppers and anchovies. There were many samples, all of which were good. And if Chef Andres wants to give up the kitchen at any point, he's got a future in comedy. :lol:

On the new info side, he mentioned that there's the possibility of a PBS version of his Spanish cooking show, so if that happens it'll be worth watching. He's also talking to Wegmans about getting them to carry the anchovies he was using, which were most excellent; they've already got pretty much everything else.

The tortilla al estilo Route 11 has made a bunch of appearances on Sunday mornings, but I've been waiting for decent tomatoes to appear before I branched out any further. (This is the problem with buying cookbooks in February.)

The tortilla al estilo Route 11 has made a bunch of appearances on Sunday mornings, but I've been waiting for decent tomatoes to appear before I branched out any further. (This is the problem with buying cookbooks in February.)
Yes, I have that problem too.

So the potato chips work?

So the potato chips work?
Yeah, they do - they soak up the egg wonderfully without getting too squidgy. We've been pondering what would happen with the flavored chips, but haven't gotten that adventurous yet.

Yeah, they do - they soak up the egg wonderfully without getting too squidgy. We've been pondering what would happen with the flavored chips, but haven't gotten that adventurous yet.

I bet the dill pickle and sour cream and herb flavors would kick ass.

I have tried a couple of flavors (though not all Route 11). Sour cream and herbwith some carmelized onion on top and a tomato-basil. Works quite well. Doesn't really taste like the potato chip flavor, just somewhat seasoned. It has become my preferred way to use up leftover chips. Or an excuse to buy some.

Had potatoes and mushrooms on hand, so made the 'Oven-Roasted Potatoes and Oyster Mushrooms'. With the olive oil, rosemary, wine and caramelized onions, these were some pretty good potatoes. Up the oven temp a bit and throw in the mushrooms a bit earlier to get them good and roasted, though.