Domaine LaFage Cote Est 2011

I'm anxious to drink but know nothing about wines. As Don suggested, a primer about this wine would be nice. Any volunteers? I'm guessing people can start quaffing now that we have a wine selected and just post whatever impressions they have. I personally would like to know what makes this wine good or bad.

If you would like to try this wine, please post and say when you might get your hand on the wine. I just got my bottle!

Haven't bought it yet but plan to when I have a chance.

But I'll quote (the old fashioned way because I'm hampered by my ipad) what Dave McIntyre said, and folks could comment on whether they taste lime and grapefruit:

"Jean-Marc Lafage is a leading young winemaker in the Languedoc-Rousillon region of southern France. This blend of grenache blanc, chardonnay and marsanne offers citrusy notes of lime and grapefruit along with a fleshy fruitiness, making it ideal for casual sipping or to accompany zesty seafood dishes."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/5-european-wines-to-try-at-15-and-under/2013/04/01/941d5806-97b5-11e2-b68f-dc5c4b47e519_story.html

And what is "fleshy fruitiness"?

Domaine LaFage

One of the oldest viticultural areas of France, vines in the Roussillon were cultivated by the Romans, and perhaps even before that. With some of the most dramatic topography in France, many of the zones are composed of extremely steep hillsides resembling the Priorat in Spain in many ways. The Côté Est vines are located on the eastern side of the hill exposing the grapes to more sunlight in the morning with cooler temperatures in the afternoon, which is ideal for producing a fresh wine.

Wine Advocate

Made from an eccentric blend of 50% Grenache Blanc (from 100+-year-old vines), 30% Chardonnay and 20% Marsanne aged on its lees in stainless steel, the 2011 Cote dEst exhibits a stunning perfume of dried apricots, honeyed citrus and white flowers. The lovely aromatics are followed by a crisp, elegant, slightly more textured, medium-bodied white with wonderful purity, freshness and length. Not only is this dazzling wine remarkably inexpensive, but there are over 10,000 cases imported to the United States. It needs to be drunk in the first 12-18 months following its release.

Score: 88. Robert Parker, June 2012.

"A beautifully crisp, tangy white that's perfect for a hot summer day, the 2011 Domaine Lafage Vin de Pays des Cotes Catalanes Cote Est is a stainless steel aged blend of 50% Grenache Blanc, 30% Chardonnay, and 20% Marsanne. Light gold in color, with notions of melon, crisp pineapple, and citrus, this hits the palate with a light, crisp texture, loads of acidity, and a classically styled, dry finish. Just straight up delicious and oh so easy drinking, it should be purchased in multiple bottle lots of consumed over the coming 12 months." - 88 Pts Jeb Dunnuck - The Rhone Report

I plan to pick mine up tomorrow, but not sure when I'll drink it as I've now made plans to go out to dinner instead of staying in as planned tomorrow night (dang Jeff at Grapeseed with his delectable menus :P).

I prefer not to read tasting notes before I taste the wine as I don't want it to influence my thoughts so I guess I will likely stay out of here until I at least note my first impressions.

I guess I get to start the impressions portion of the proceedings. Since I do not have the wine-tasting talents of the experts (ie. why specifically white flowers, Mr. Parker?) and many of the others on this board, here are my very basic thoughts.

The acidity is very noticeable, as is the crispness. While the fruit has some punch, and does lean towards the citrus (perhaps some grapefruit?), it's not overpowering. I found the finish to be a bit long. It is definitely not sweet. If I didn't know that it was in there, I wouldn't have guessed that Chardonnay was involved at all.

I'd pair it as a dinner wine, as I prefer my sit-down-and-have-a-glass whites to be a bit sweeter. But overall it's a nice, well put-together wine.

And what is "fleshy fruitiness"?

It's actually pretty entertaining to see this unfold via the perspective of eager students. :)

I've never heard the term "fleshy fruitiness" in my life, and yet I know *exactly* what he means by it. You will, too.

"Fleshy" means "fuller" or "deeper and more ample."

In music terms, think of grapefruit and lime as being flutes (not Champagne flutes); think of something fleshy as being more of a cello, with more of a deeper resonance than what you'd get from the citrus family - maybe something like a peach or a melon or a plum. Don't think of any of this too literally or you'll drive yourself crazy - wine notes are often just brief impressions, and not intended to be exact descriptors (although sometimes you'll get the unmistakable whiff of mandarin, or lime, etc.)

And I didn't invent this stuff, so don't blame me!

Just remember: it makes just as much sense (or as little sense) to use these descriptors to describe cola products, or coffee, or cheese. There really isn't anything all that special about wine (though some of us would like to think that the fermentation and aging processes add complexity). I swear that I can smell bloody Band-Aid in older vintages of certain Bordeaux.

Also remember: there's not one thing in that glass that an "expert" has access to that you don't. Experts are just trained to look for certain "traits" - iodine in Hermitage, raisins in Pedro Ximenez - once you've had them 2-3 times, you'll start to recognize them as well.

Taste, study, memorize, taste study, memorize.

• Like 2

Is this the topic in which people are going to post WHERE they were able to pick up the wine? I know the WaPo article lists some suggestions, which are good places to start, but it would be helpful to know where folks were actually able to get their hands on whatever bottle we are discussing at the moment.

Specifically, has anyone picked this one up in the District?

Is this the topic in which people are going to post WHERE they were able to pick up the wine? I know the WaPo article lists some suggestions, which are good places to start, but it would be helpful to know where folks were actually able to get their hands on whatever bottle we are discussing at the moment.

Specifically, has anyone picked this one up in the District?

They have it at Rodman's DC. (i'm on my way there now!)

It's actually pretty entertaining to see this unfold via the perspective of eager students. :)

I've never heard the term "fleshy fruitiness" in my life, and yet I know *exactly* what he means by it. You will, too.

"Fleshy" means "fuller" or "deeper and more ample."

I am fairly certain Fleshy Fruitiness still works at the Hanger Club in WV but it's been years.

I am fairly certain Fleshy Fruitiness still works at the Hanger Club in WV but it's been years.

The Hangar Club is in Camp Springs!

Ask any DC area bachelorette party attendee between 1975-1995 where they ended up after dinner. :lol:

Cheers,

Brutus Beefcake

• Like 1

I drank about half a bottle of this last night, will drink the rest later today. I get the "light, crisp texture, loads of acidity, and a ... dry finish." I can't really detect any specific fruity taste, and I find it leaves a slightly bitter aftertaste. I don't particularly like it.

Just opened the bottle and had my first tastes. Have not read others notes or online tasting notes, going to give my initial impressions and then come back to it again shortly before doing so. So, first thoughts (worth noting that the wine was too cold (straight out of the fridge) initially, but I continued to taste/takes notes as it warmed up):

Color is pale straw yellow with a watery meniscus, wine is highly viscous, which seems to contradict the relatively low alcohol I get on the nose/palate. The initial nose is very strong, namely of petrol reminiscent of an older riesling with little fruit on the nose. As it warms the fruit becomes a bit more prominent, namely apple, lemon, maybe a touch of stone fruit. Initial taste is med+ acidity, very zippy (almost effervescent) until the wine warms a bit. Clearly stainless steel fermented although I'd allow for the possibility of some neutral oak. Get green apple, lemon, maybe a bit of pink grapefruit on the palate. Med-m+ body, lower alcohol (12.5% give or take was my call), not particularly complex, but has a nice long finish.

I was a bit confused about the wine until we looked at the label and realized the blend included a large amount of chardonnay (I had originally thought it was a traditional rhone blend of grenache/marsanne/rousanne), but I am still wondering where all of this acidity is coming from and curious about the climate/conditions for this region/vintage.

Going to retaste again in a bit, and with food that is completely inappropriate for this wine. :P Initial overall impression is that I like the wine a good bit for the price and think it would be a nice summer wine or paired with lighter dishes.

Cheezepowder, perhaps you can call UnWined Belle View tomorrow and have them hold a bottle for you?

I posted the first review on Friday evening, and now I'm having glass #2 tonight. On Friday I said that I wouldn't have guessed Chardonnay was involved. I can sure taste the Chardonnay now. However, as someone who's not particularly fond of Chardonnay, at 2 days open I'm liking this wine a lot more. I'm sure a part of it is because the other grapes are still hanging in there. I can tell that they're there on the finish.*

In addition, I've found the acidity that hit me when I first tried it has mellowed out considerably.

Not to worry, I am not surprised that a probably 3/4 full bottle that has sat in the fridge for 2 days would change!

*When had my first sip on Friday my first thought was, "Must think of something profound to say." After reading others' thoughts, particularly those of juliusc91's, I'm throwing out the thesaurus.

Picked this up at Rodman's today for $11.99. I must really like you guys and want to play, since that is a HAUL. Oh, well, got to do some high-end window shopping while I was in the area. :)

I like the acidity of this wine, and I definitely like that it is easy drinking (especially the night before the big move - hooray, wine!), but my overall impression was that the wine fell fairly flat. Even as it warmed, I didn't get anything "fleshy" or rich at all - and I don't know if it was bitterness exactly, but I agree that there was something in the aftertaste that wasn't quite right.

For the price, I am certainly not upset about the purchase, but I don't think I would make a special trip or pick this up over something else that has a little more "oomph."

Cheezepowder, perhaps you can call UnWined Belle View tomorrow and have them hold a bottle for you?

I posted the first review on Friday evening, and now I'm having glass #2 tonight. On Friday I said that I wouldn't have guessed Chardonnay was involved. I can sure taste the Chardonnay now. However, as someone who's not particularly fond of Chardonnay, at 2 days open I'm liking this wine a lot more. I'm sure a part of it is because the other grapes are still hanging in there. I can tell that they're there on the finish.*

In addition, I've found the acidity that hit me when I first tried it has mellowed out considerably.

Not to worry, I am not surprised that a probably 3/4 full bottle that has sat in the fridge for 2 days would change!

*When had my first sip on Friday my first thought was, "Must think of something profound to say." After reading others' thoughts, particularly those of juliusc91's, I'm throwing out the thesaurus.

I'm impressed you tasted across days. My bottle is gone. Although I did have Juliusc91's help, but I'm pretty sure that would still be the case if I hadn't. :P

Regarding your last comment, I hope no one will feel inhibited to just share what they think in these threads. I know relatively little when it comes to tasting wine and generally think I suck at blind tasting, but I was briefly in a blind tasting group where I learned the "official" way to blind taste for the court of sommeliers so I sort of automatically resort to taking notes in that fashion because it helps me organize my thoughts, hence my somewhat snobby sounding recitation. :P

On that note, my final thoughts on the wine - once it sat in my glass for a good while I got a lot more stone fruit on the nose and palate, with a lot of a honey sweetness coming through that I had only gotten a hint of on the nose initially. The acidity is still quite prominent on the finish, but it isn't that in your face bracing acidity I got up front when first opened and the mouthfeel is rounder overall. Interestingly, overall my impression regarding the varietals is opposite of lovehockey's - the chardonnay was overwhelming to me intially, now I'm getting more of the qualities I would expect from the Rhone varietals. And I'm liking it a lot more as a result.

P.S. I really love geeking out about wine. Glad this idea got going. Looking forward to hearing others' thoughts and also hope someone more knowledgeable can help me understand where the high acidity in this wine is coming from (climate???).

Oh, btw, this went surprisingly well with a "use up stuff getting old in your fridge" frittata of mushroom-cognac sausage, spinach, and onions. :unsure:

Nose: poopy and mineral oil and gasoline. Stank

Initial Taste: Bitter. Alcohol. Mildly floral. Hate so far

Slight improvement as it warmed up but this is not for me.

This description just knocks me out. I think I agree, but I'd say it a little differently. Color: pale golden. Nose: alcohol. Taste: a bit of apricot with a bitter end. Acidic. I don't taste "fleshy" at all. I bought 2 bottles because I thought I'd love it, but I don't like it much either.

This description just knocks me out. I think I agree, but I'd say it a little differently. Color: pale golden. Nose: alcohol. Taste: a bit of apricot with a bitter end. Acidic. I don't taste "fleshy" at all. I bought 2 bottles because I thought I'd love it, but I don't like it much either.

I promised to post what I wrote in my notes. Poopy is not a word I typically use but it came to mind at first whiff, so I posted it.

Are there people who are still in the process of "procuring" this wine? Should we wait, or move on to another wine?

I hope there are more. Not all that many people have commented. Did you even give your final impression after drinking the second half of the bottle?

Full disclosure: I'm a supertaster with an unfortunately overdeveloped sense of smell, so I'm sometimes overwhelmed by certain flavors and aromas. YMMV.

First impressions, just opened, first drink.

Nose: Green apple, white grape, fox pee. (I only know this last one because the neighborhood fox has an outhouse in my flower garden.)

Taste: Sharp, acid forward, with a bitter edge. Full enough body to hold up to the acidity. Unripe green apple. Scuppernong-y grape on the finish.

Interesting so far, but not easy drinking. I think this would be wonderful with food or in a white sangria. I'll give it some time to open, then to oxidize, and try again.

I bought the wine at Rodmans in DC. I didn't like the wine either. It was bitter and sour when I first drank it, and it left a bitter aftertaste in my mouth. The flavor reminded me of straight lemon juice with a bit of rubbing alcohol.

Here is a picture of the bottle for anyone who might be looking for it.

post-889-0-64747300-1365984804_thumb.jpg

Out of curiosity, what temp are you guys drinking this wine at? Fridge temp? Or are you letting it warm up at any point? I felt it was a totally different wine when drunk at the temp it should be at. I'm not saying it's an outstanding wine, and it may not be to everyone's taste, but for the price, I thought it was good.

I plan to open my second bottle tomorrow. Definitely will let it warm up for 20-30 minutes before sampling, rather than right out of the fridge, and see what it's like. Do think I drank it both ways before.

I opened my second bottle right out of the refrigerator tonight and thought it was better than before. Maybe because I was just sipping it with snacks and not trying to analyze the wine. Had a second glass after the bottle sat out for 30 minutes and liked it less. It seemed to taste flatter and more bitter.

What do you all think? Is it time to come up with a second wine to try?

The next wine from the article was the Acentor Garnacha 2011.

Acentor Garnacha 2011

★★

Calatayud, Spain, $12

Spicy
berry flavors are typical of good, inexpensive Spanish garnacha, and
this wine delivers them, along with smoky earthiness for added interest.
Not a particularly complex wine, just a really fun one. Another hit
from sommelier-turned-importer Aurelio Cabestrero.

Elite:
Available in the District at Bell Wine & Spirits, Calvert Woodley,
Connecticut Avenue Wine & Liquor, Cordial Fine Wine & Spirits,
Modern Liquors, Paul’s of Chevy Chase, Rodman’s, Wagshal’s Market; on
the list at Boqueria, Marcel’s, Rasika, Station 4, Taberna del
Alabardero, Ulah Bistro. Available in Maryland at Annebeth’s in
Annapolis, Chesapeake Wine Co. in Baltimore, Fairgrounds Discount
Beverages in Timonium, Mt. Airy Liquors. Available in Virginia at
Arrowine in Arlington, Beer Run in Charlottesville, Cheesetique
(Alexandria, Shirlington), Greenwood Gourmet Grocery in Crozet, Vino
Volo at Dulles International Airport, Wine Styles in Montclair.