Dirt Cheap Eats

Kanishka

Okay, maybe my description is a little heavy handed. Back when I lived in the hinterlands, the Washingtonian Cheap Eats issue was one of my favorite reads. Now that I'm in the city and better acquainted with food here, not so much. And after reading this years issue I'm befuddled. Did someone who knows eating in DC even consult on this issue? I could go on about how some of the choices (Lauriol Plaza???) suck, but there is more to bash...

Problems I have:

Someone needs an atlas. On the quick summary page, Mandalay in Silver Spring is listed as still being located in College Park. In the description, it is described as Malaysian food. Grrr.

There are zero Ethiopian restaurants on the list.

No mention of Kotobuki, which has to be one of the best places for cheap sushi in the city. Instead, the passable-but-not-fantastic Spices gets a nod.

Udupi Palace in Langley Park is described as "sprawling"

Just four of my qualms with an issue that put swirly margaritas on the cover. Next year I hear they're going to feature a half eaten half smoke from the vendor at 2nd & Penn NW.

Anyone else think the feature was bad, or am I overreacting?

Edited by Kanishka

am I overreacting?

In short? No.

To add to your litany of complaints, the fact that they put Cafe Spice on the list is an absolute joke.

As someone put elsewhere, it is best to treat this list and the reviews in this mag like Zagat's. Phone numbers, location and hours are about the most useful thing I get from their food info.

Not only is Lauriol Plaza not good, it's NOT cheap.

Hell yeah. Margarits are $9?

Is this Tom S.?

---

[it isn't - Tom S. is user "Tom Sietsema" and tends not to post on internet forums out of politeness since he has his own chat. Plus he's kind of busy. Cheers, Rocks.]

Edited by DonRocks

The fact that they left off Kotobuki shows just how little effort they put into updating this list. Where else can you get some of the best sushi in the city (the scallop is out of this world and the toro a true sushi bargain) for $1 or $1.75 a piece accompanied by housemade soy sauce and the Beatles?

When I first moved here, I read the Washingtonian to get an idea of where to eat, but I quickly realized they are often WAY off-base. Their dining reviews are not for foodies or the adventurous. Some of the worst meals I've had in the area were based on Washingtonian recommendation, which ended up being poor quality or overly commercialized. Blech!

I received my April Washingtonian in the mail yesterday (I subscribed after Kliman announced he was taking over as food editor), and I was delighted to find "Dirt Cheap Eats: 70 Delicious Meals for under $15." This guide is phenomenal. As you can imagine, they've covered Little Ethiopia in Shaw, Little Mexico in Riverdale (map included!), downtown Wheaton and the Eden Center, but there's so much more. Overall, the guide is divided into sections: square meals, dirt cheap destinations, sandwiches, snacks, breakfast, and sweets. It's the most comprehensive dirt cheap eats guide i've seen in this city.

Kliman has been touting Little Mexico for some time. I think i'm going to check it out today. The article made me hungry!

He's been touting it since he did the big City Paper piece on it a year ago or so.

Haven't read through it yet, but upon first glance our first reaction was, "Who the hell designed this? It's almost illegible."

He's been touting it since he did the big City Paper piece on it a year ago or so.

Haven't read through it yet, but upon first glance our first reaction was, "Who the hell designed this? It's almost illegible."

I agree with Monique; I thought it was a well-done piece chock full of good information (for those who appreciate holes-in-the-wall, not those who chase after the latest "cool" spot). There were several I knew about but also several I need to try.

I hit one of the lunch wagons across from the Gaithersburg MVA for lunch today and while it could have been spicier and more piping hot, I have to admit that it brought back fond memories of the burrito shacks in California. Both the lengua and al pastor tacos really hit the spot, and the pollo burrito was plump with simple and flavorfully stewed meats, and no need for bizarre fruit-based sauces. I didn't see carnitas on his board, but I think I heard the family after me ordering them...will have to investigate next time.

(addendum) I didn't see a vertical rotisserie in use, so the authenticity of the al pastor may be in question. It was tasty, but didn't really have that roasted flavor.

I sort of see your point. I think it looks pretty reasonable with the typical 2 Amy's, Breadline, Pete's Apizza, Malaysia Kopitiam, Tackle Box, Tacqueria Nacionale and Dukem, among others. Not bad but not overly compelling. It's probably the "cheap" thing that hurts the District on this one, because CitiZen, Palena, Komi, Vidalia and a couple dozen more on the high end trounce the 'burbs.

The Virginia list may be more interesting for me, with Shamshiry and Lebanese Butcher, Ravi Kabob and Ray's Hell-Burger, El Pollo Rico and Honey Pig, Eammon's and Four Sisters....I could eat my way up and down that list all year long.

If I lived on the Maryland side, I would be all over that list too. Joe's Noodle House, the Wheaton El Pollo Rico, Bobby's Crabcakes, Cuba de Ayer, Burger Joint....there's good eating all up and down that list.

But only 20 out of 100? It seems harsh to think that the majority of the citizens of Our Nation's Capital must follow those evacuation routes into the suburbs for delicious, affordable food. :rolleyes:

Is it possible that they try to evenly distribute the restaurants throughout their circulation area? What restaurants in the city would you have added??

But only 20 out of 100? It seems harsh to think that the majority of the citizens of Our Nation's Capital must follow those evacuation routes into the suburbs for delicious, affordable food. :rolleyes:

Is it possible that they try to evenly distribute the restaurants throughout their circulation area? What restaurants in the city would you have added??

Can't recall what's on the list--but Amma Vegetarian Kitchen (on M St.) should be on it, if it is not. Kotobuki? Moby Dick? Chadwick's? Full Kee? Rockland's? Oohs and Aahs?

Population of the city of Washington DC - 600,000.

Population of the DC metro area - closing in on 6,000,000.

20 out of 100 sounds about right.

Population of the city of Washington DC - 600,000.

Population of the DC metro area - closing in on 6,000,000.

20 out of 100 sounds about right.

Don't forget the rent factor - downtown rent is generally much much higher than suburban rent.

So it makes sense that more of the expensive, destination restaurants (not all, more) are downtown, and more (not all, more) of the bargain places are in the burbs.