Eats Near Georgetown University Hospital

porcupine

I find that no matter where I am or what I'm doing, I try to better things by finding a good place to eat. :)

So it looks like I'll be spending a lot of time at GUH. Is there any place within walking distance for lunch or dinner? Or breakfast, come to think of it.

By walking distance I mean about a mile (each way).

Two days ago I got a delicious sandwich from Marvelous Market on MacArthur (was on my way home). Today a cousin picked me up and I treated him to Blacksalt. But I can't do that every day.

Ideas? Thanks.

I find that no matter where I am or what I'm doing, I try to better things by finding a good place to eat.    :)

So it looks like I'll be spending a lot of time at GUH.  Is there any place within walking distance for lunch or dinner?  Or breakfast, come to think of it.

By walking distance I mean about a mile (each way).

Two days ago I got a delicious sandwich from Marvelous Market on MacArthur (was on my way home).  Today a cousin picked me up and I treated him to Blacksalt.  But I can't do that every day.

Ideas?  Thanks.

Kotobuki is across the street from Blacksalt. Not walking distance, but maybe on your way home?

hit some of the student joints on the other side of campus - Chicken Madness at Wisemillers, 1789 on the same block - although its pricier and not necessarily open for lunch?

I worked at GUH for many years, there is little right at the hospital without walking over to the university and then into GT. You might go up McArthur and hit Listranies, see if someone will take you into the French Embassy (which use to be a deal), get tired of the GTU food court in the student union, walk up to Wisconsin, or brown bag it.

Two days ago I got a delicious sandwich from Marvelous Market on MacArthur (was on my way home).  Today a cousin picked me up and I treated him to Blacksalt.  But I can't do that every day.

Ideas?  Thanks.

I go to Marvelous Market a lot b/c I have a part-time job in Georgetown...and I've yet to have a sandwich I didn't like. Actually, I had jamon and brie sandwich from there a couple of days ago (huge!! Needs 10 secs in the microwave). Keep going there; go to the bigger better one at 3217 P Street (.89 miles from Georgetown University Medical Center). I used to drive a cab for fun: clicky. Also, you can get gelato at the Argentinian place down the street.

A few suggestions:

-In the Leavey Center (the student union--#22 on the map), there's a student run convenience store called Vital Vittles. In addition to carrying assorted junk food deemed essential for studying for finals, they bring in sandwiches from various places around lunchtime everyday. They usually get stuff from Booeymongers, Marvelous Market, some Thai place, and a Middle Eastern place (they used to get it from Cafe Ole, but I think they've switched to some other place). Only problem is that the stuff tends to go quickly, and the pickings are usually pretty slim if you go at dinnertime. Not great, but generally a better option than the alternatives in Leavey--Subway, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, and a hospital cafeteria. (Warning: I think Vittles may close for a week or two after graduation in two weeks.)

-There are a couple of places in the Prospect St. strip right before Wisconsin that aren't bad--Peacock Cafe and Bangkok Bistro. Cafe Milano is also there if you feel like being seen and overpaying.

-I'd second the Jetties recommendation. Other sandwich options are the above mentioned Wisemiller's (36th between Prospect and N) as well as Booeymonger's (Prospect and Potomac).

The Hungry (Georgetown) Prof

Another recommendation for Jetties - my kids go to school near there and we frequent it. While we also like Marvelous market, there is more selection at Jetties. My favorite is the turkey salad sandwich, although my daughter loves the hot roast beef au jus. Milkshakes are decent too. Lots of outdoor tables. It is on Foxhall, just below Reservoir Rd. If you head to Wisconsin Ave, there is Cafe Divan, which is decent for Turkish/Middle Eastern, and the Whole Foods is a few blocks up Wisconsin, with lots of choices for breakfast and lunch (sushi, sandwiches, hot foods, etc), fruit, and smoothies, etc. Other than Marvelous Market for breakfast stuff, the pizza place next door (Palisades Pizza and Clam Bar) serves a fast diner-style breakfast.

Kotobuki is across the street from Blacksalt.  Not walking distance, but maybe on your way home?

Also not walking distance, but right next to Kotobuki, is Figs. They have a nice selection of prepared foods, soups, and some daily specials (which may be for dinner only). The food looks good, and depending on what you order I'd say you can get away with spending under $10 for lunch.

Here's the WaPo review.