I'd rather hit Tunnicliff's.

Except that they're selling their fucking burger for almost $10 now. A dive bar burger for $10-- jeeeeeeezus.

I live about 5 blocks from Jimmy T's and still have never gone. Perhaps I'll swing by for lunch tomorrow.

Except that they're selling their fucking burger for almost $10 now. A dive bar burger for $10-- jeeeeeeezus.

I live about 5 blocks from Jimmy T's and still have never gone. Perhaps I'll swing by for lunch tomorrow.

The first time I went there, years ago, we ended up walking out because not a soul showed any inclination of serving us. We gave it a second chance a few weeks ago. Things were a bit better in that our server actually made an honest effort, but he needed prodding and reminding to bring things to us and still got my drink order wrong. The prices are silly and the food ordinary. One of the many examples on the Hill of great locations where poor management and bad food have become part of the neighborhood "feel."

I swung by this afternoon just to double check the prices. A grilled cheese (with American "cheese"), albeit with bacon, $8.65! WTfuckinF?
That's the Super Grilled Cheese, basically the same sandwich that was on the menu at Stoney's. That's probably one of the cheapest things on the menu. The food is way overpriced for what it is, but they get away with it.

It's an odd location because of the Market. They get tons of traffic for brunch on weekends because of the Market. They get nothing on Mondays because everything around is closed. They get much better weekday lunch business than they used to because there are now more business offices located nearby. The clientele is heavy on real estate agents and teachers on weekday afternoons. It's just an odd location. They actually have really good late night food specials, but who's going to be near there late at night? Nothing is open at night along there once Montmarte and Ben and Jerry finish for the day. Occasionally there are events at the Market 5 Gallery across the street, but that's rare.

BTW, I wouldn't really call this a divey place. The last two owners have been trying to make it more upscale, though I think that's an uphill battle given the location. It really is a tavern, not especially fancy, not especially divey.

As Pat can attest to, I loved this place (past tense because, well, its been a while). But that had nothing to do with the food, which definitely got expensive over the two years I darkened the bar's doors. The bar staff (not, repeat not the wait staff) were always great to me and knew what they were doing. The brunches were always okay with the occasional good dish, but otherwise, well, it was just alright for food. Fun during football, and surprisingly fun late at night with the right rowdy crowd, believe it or not. Also, I don't think it's a dive at all, though the place needs to get over its schizophrenia and decide what it wants to be. Personally, I think it would function much better as a dive (like it apparently did before my time).

The owners have recently installed video cameras throughout the place. Am I somehow odd that I find this creepy? I presume it's at least in part to monitor employees, but as someone who is completely phobic of cameras (I know there's a term for that), I already hate that there are places I absolutely must deal with this (such as the bank), without adding neighborhood watering holes to the mix. Last night I had trouble eating the food I ordered because I felt really self-conscious that there was a camera pointed down at me.

I gather that the owners will be off-site more because Stoney's is reopening and they probably want to monitor things remotely. Then I began to wonder: are there going to be cameras at the new Stoney's?

Is this some kind of new trend that I've been oblivious to? Maybe I've been video monitored in other restaurant/bars and missed it.

Go ahead and tell me I'm paranoid, then maybe I won't feel so bad going back there :)

The owners have recently installed video cameras throughout the place. Am I somehow odd that I find this creepy?

Go ahead and tell me I'm paranoid, then maybe I won't feel so bad going back there :)

I expect that sometime in the near future there will be a reality show on TV featuring customer reactions to insane prices-- $9 for a freakin grilled cheese?!?!?

I expect that sometime in the near future there will be a reality show on TV featuring customer reactions to insane prices-- $9 for a freakin grilled cheese?!?!?
I guess I have the same kind of sentimental attachment to the place that Kanishka does :)

I had a really weird moment at Corduroy the other night, realizing that their appetizers (or many of them) were cheaper than Tunnicliff's. The entrees were roughly in the same price range. Looking at it that way was quite eye-opening.

I don't know how I feel about this place now. The old friends that used to work there are gone, the management has decreed that staff can no longer drink there (they were half the fun!) and because of my work I feel very sketched out by the Byelorussian "students" who seem to have taken over the majority of the wait staff. At the very least, I don't think I'm going to be eating there any time soon. Though the $9.50 corned beef hash is still appealing in the artery clogging, hangover curing kind of way.

This is, btw, before I heard about the cameras. That crosses over into the "really weird."

K

I had a really weird moment at Corduroy the other night, realizing that their appetizers (or many of them) were cheaper than Tunnicliff's. The entrees were roughly in the same price range. Looking at it that way was quite eye-opening.

Great point. I'll pay $9, or even $15 for that matter, for a grilled cheese if it's aged cheddar on fresh baked bread with a little housemade mustard and so forth. I wouldn't bat an eye if I was dining at Palena or Corduroy. What could be the justification for such a gouge other than having a somewhat captive audience on the hill.

End of rant, carry on.

Tunnicliffs a lot lately:

steak and cheese (smaller than it used to be and I think it used to have more stuff on it, but filling and good enough); with fries

super grilled cheese (on rye--I always order it on rye when I remember); with fries

mushroom-pepperoni-olive pizza (probably the best pizza I've ever had there--thin, crispy, and excellent)

two brunch sandwiches:

the breakfast club (my favorite on their brunch menu and one of the cheapest items--omelette style eggs, bacon, cheese, tomato, and lettuce on brioche* bun) with fried red potatoes that were just right

the breakfast burger--bacon cheeseburger with fried egg (first I'd had it and I loved it, though several dollars more expensive than the breakfast club. It comes with fries and they were good with the egg yolk.)

*I should probably say brioche-style or something like that. It's got butter or equivalent brushed on the top, but I don't actually know what the bread is for this.

Walking past Tunnicliff's this afternoon, I noticed they had a big, official sign from the city saying that their alcoholic beverage license has been suspended through December 19-30 for some sort of violation--presumably failing to card an underage drinker?

Walking past Tunnicliff's this afternoon, I noticed they had a big, official sign from the city saying that their alcoholic beverage license has been suspended through December 19-30 for some sort of violation--presumably failing to card an underage drinker?

Failed to card an undercover ABC person. It happened in the summer, but they had the suspension deferred to a less busy time. In the interim, burgers and pizzas are $5 after 5pm until Wednesday the 22nd.

Tonight I came from the 8th St. location for the third time in a row. Normally the techno-pop turns me off, but I've been eating late-night pizza here since starting rehearsals for a show in Baltimore about a week ago. When I get back to DC at about 11pm, Matchbox is the only place on the Hill where I can get something decent to eat. They only offer pizza at that hour, and they do so while rolling up the floor mats. And still I cannot be sure if they really can serve me after 11. The whole myth of DC "nightlife," at Barracks Row or elsewhere in DC, tends to disintegrate at that hour. The pizzas were good, especially the sopprasata and wild mushroom.

Just an FYI, there is one other place you can get food late night that is inexpensive and pretty good. Tunnicliff's on 7th across from Eastern Market keeps its kitchen open until 1:00am and they have options other than pizza.

Just an FYI, there is one other place you can get food late night that is inexpensive and pretty good. Tunnicliff's on 7th across from Eastern Market keeps its kitchen open until 1:00am and they have options other than pizza.

Thanks for this tip. I tend to shy away from Tunnicliff' s but for late night chow it's definitely an option I'll try--tonight as a matter of fact.

I like the Breakfast Burger, which I had today for the second time (I found it odd that the brunch menu was still being offered at 2PM, and can't bring myself to eat an omelet or real breakfast dish while drinking beer). Speaking of which, this is the only place in the area where I've seen Starr Hill Northern Lights IPA on draft, so they definitely get props for that, as it's one of my faves. The thin fries which came with the burger were unremarkable; the burger itself was very good. I think it would have been just as good without the sunny side up egg and crisp bacon, but those ingredients certainly added to the experience. My total bill was $30.09 (before tip) for three drafts and the burger, but it certainly made for a satisfying brunch/lunch/whatever-it-was. This is a good bar for game watching, as they certainly get a great picture on their large Samsung HDTV's.

The crab cake sandwich here is actually pretty decent. I'd heard people say it was good but hadn't tried it until recently. I liked it enough that I got it again soon after. It's not huge but a satisfying size. I add the side cole slaw to the sandwich. It comes with fries but for an extra $1.50 you can sub onion rings.

They changed their menu again. They've changed it twice recently. No radical differences but there are some.