Gyro

Heather

We then went on to have the usual discussion as to what the proper pronounciation of "gyro" is. Honestly, I had to reference answers.com which I believe has it wrong. tongue.gif

Here are the three ways to pronounce "gyro" that I have heard:

1. Ji Row

2. Gear o

3. Year o

I think the 3rd one is correct but you won't appear to be a doofus if you use the 2nd.

My Greek colleague pronounces it EER-oh, but that first syllable is trilled and doesn't have an easy English transliteration.
I always leaned towards the school that if you're not Greek it's JI-roh. If you're Greek you should pronounce it correctly. :)

Corollary -- If you're not Italian-American, don't say Pra-shoot. There's another syllable that belongs on the end-o.

I n the Athens neighborhood om Monasteraki, considered by many to be ground zero for serious gyro eaters, it's pronounce YEE-ro, but there's an odd little Greek thing that makes the first consonant sound something like a cross between an "g" and a "y".

In shopping malls and on the boarwalk, I believe JY ro is preferrred.

Here is more on correct pronunciations of that Italian ham stuff. Also
pasta e fagioli (PAH-stah eh faj-YOH-lee) becoming pasta fasul (fa-ZOOL)

The fa-ZOOL pronunciation is more like the dialect I heard growing up. Of course all my relatives (here and there) drop the last syllable of just about every multi-syllabic word. I found it humourous to visit with someone that only know schoolbook Italian and had a hard time understanding much. :)

Here is more on correct pronunciations of that Italian ham stuff.
I'm almost at the point of having lived outside NY for half my life.

I say y'all, lanai and pa-can (instead of pee-can).

I've never said caw-fee.

I can't imagine I will ever say anything but mozzerell (almost slurred into one syllable) or pro-shoot. And the guys at the Greek diner would have laughed me out of the place had I said anything other then eer-oh.

Anyone know a place to get one in Silver Spring?
Seem to recall that Taste of Jerusalem has one on the menu, but I could be wrong.

Best one around SS that I have had was the Greek restaurant in the little strip at the corner of Georgia and Rt 28. in Olney, but I bet there has to be a decent one around Wheaton somewhere.